Author Topic: New/old IZH 60 - LONG  (Read 9060 times)

Offline daved

• http://
New/old IZH 60 - LONG
« on: March 13, 2007, 05:49:47 PM »
First, a big thanks to Randy_68 for selling me this rifle as such a fair price, and the prompt shipping.  Now on to the gun!

This is going to be an odd review, since the rifle is more than 10 years old.  Randy recently had an ad on the Classified selling off an entire collection of rifles and pistols for his sick dad.  The IZH 60 was at the top of the list, originally purchased in '94, in nearly new condition.  Since I have a 61, and since the 60 hasn't been imported for I don't know how long, I jumped on it.  Boy, did I score!

For those not familiar with these guns, they are Russian made spring piston, side lever target rifles, or more accurately, target trainers.  The model 60 was the original model imported, and is a single shot.  It was produced in a version 1 and 2.  Mine is a version 1.  The 61 came later, and is a 5 shot repeater.  It uses a stick mag that indexes automatically every time the gun is cocked.  You do have to keep track of your shot count, there's no lockout to prevent dry firing.  Velocity is in the 500 fps range for both, with the single shot being a little higher.  Both have a tough synthetic stock, ala M-16, with the butt being easily adjustable for LOP.  Minimum LOP on both is about 11.5 inches, the 60 goes to 13", the 61 to 14.5".  It would be very simple to modify the 60 to get the same max LOP, just drill and tap a hole.  Because of weight and the flexible LOP, these rifles would be good for younger shooters, as well as adults looking for an inexpensive low power target peice.

For those familiar with the current IZH 61, if you get the chance to get ahold of a 1st. ver. 60, DO IT!  Other than the stock, where the 61 is plastic, the 60 is MACHINED steel.  Yes, the receiver looks like it was machined from a solid block of steel.  The spring houseing and front sight are also steel instead of plastic.  The difference in feel between the two is remarkable.  The 61 weighs about 5 pounds, and although well balanced, it feels a bit toy like.  The 60 is almost 8 pounds, and it just feels solid and substantial.  Because the weight is right over the pistol grip, the balance is about perfect to me, with the CG right at the front of the trigger guard.  Even for someone that doesn't usually shoot off hand, this thing is almost effortless to hold on target.

The front sight on both is a hooded match type.  The 61 is plastic, and has a large, square post.  The 60 is steel, and is similar to the RWS or Beeman front sights, with the different inserts.  It comes with both a post and an annular ring.  Don't know if Baikal/IZH ever made a selection of inserts for it, but their 18mm, which I beleive is a standard size.  Rear sights are both typical square notch, mounted on a barrel support tower about 4.5" ahead of the receiver.  The 60's tower is dovetailed.  The rear sight can be converted to a poor mans aperature, and it can be relocated to give a much longer sight radius.  The 61 has a VERY short dovetail, mounting a scope would be difficult, even with a cantilever mount.  The 60 is much more flexible in this regard.

Both guns have very good triggers, but the 60 had another surprise here.  The 61 adjusts for 1st stage length and pull weight, the 60 add a 2nd stage adjustment as well.  They can both be set to a very light, crisp pull.  The 60 has some roughness in it, but I'm sure it will smooth out with some use.  If not, a little polishing and I think it will be as nice as the Rekord on my HW 77, maybe a hair better.

The last surprise was in the shooting, and this is where the 60 vaults way ahead of the 61.  The 60's shot cycle is a pleasure, short, quick, linear, no torque, twang or vibration.  And I'm pretty sure that's with a busted spring!  This is the rifle that all the great review were written about, not the 61 that's currently available.  Not that the 61 isn't still a good little gun, but it just doesn't compare to the early 60.  BTW, both guns are capable of very good accuracy at 10 yards, but again, the 60 comes out on top.  I think it's a combination of tighter tolerances on the older gun, plus some losses caused by the repeater mechanism.

As you can see from the picture, I wasted no time in putting a scope on this gun.  I've only shot it enough so far to sight it in and adjust the trigger, but I intend to try it at 20 yards.  The perspective is off a little, both stocks are maxed for LOP, but the difference is only 1.5".  Looks like about 3 in the picture.  The barrel on the 60 is a LITTLE shorter than the 61, most of that difference is the front sight assembly.  And yes, the stocks do look that different.  The 60 is much blacker and shinier, even though both have a matte finish.  All in all, I'm VERY pleased with my second "Black Russian" so far, and am looking forward to shooting it a lot in the near future.  Will post more soon.

Dave

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: New/old IZH 60 - LONG
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 11:04:35 PM »
Thanks for the great detail review on these two fine target rifles Dave.. I guess it will be a keeper...:)

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 11:52:01 PM »
Ditto on what Gene said and them are some nice shooter's, they look so happy together. :) Keep us updated on it's performence and great find. Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline randy_68

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 02:40:21 AM »
Glad you like it Dave. My dad said that is the one he really hated to see go. Good luck with it.
Guns I\'ve owned--Winchester 800x .177, Winchester 422 .177 ,  R9 Goldfinger .22, (2)-Gamo Black Shadow .22, (2) Shadow 1000, (2)- Discovery .22, Sumatra 2500 carbine .22, .25 and rifle .22, Bam B51 .22, AirArms S400 xfac .22, S410 .22 older bolt, S400 fac carbine walnut .22, S410 xfac .22 side lever..Marauder .22, Bam B30-1 .22, Bam B26-2 .22 and .177, Talon SS .22 and who knows whats next

Offline ac12basis

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 02:56:38 PM »
They are importing the single shot IZH-60 again.    :-)

But it is the version 2.
Yes I want a version 1 model for myself, but the version 2 has its place.

I am using my IZH-60 as a training rifle for new shooters.  Here the reduced weight of the version 2 is just right for the younger kids.  You can usually add weight, it is difficult to remove weight.  And the adjustable stock is great, and a LOT easier than removing/adding spacers under the butt plate of a Daisy 853.

I use a red-dot sight, as it is a LOT easier to train a new shooter to use a red-dot than iron sight and target alignment.  The problem is the rear rails are too short for any of the red-dot sights that I've found, they get in the way of the loading port.  Here the side loading clip of the 61 comes in handy, as you can load w/o the scope getting in the way, but for a trainer I prefer a single shot.

The stock trigger of the IZH beats the tweeked trigger on my Daisy 853.

I agree w Dave, the offhand handling of this rifle s great.

A final comment, when you buy your IZH, you better give the metal surfaces a wipe-down with MP5 or similar rust preventative oil.  When I did that on mine, the patch turned brown with what I have to presume is rust...I don't know what else it could be.

If anyone has a version 1 IZH-60, especialy with the stock sights, I'm interested.
Gary,   ac12 @ comcast.net

RE: New/old IZH 60 - LONG
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 05:16:48 AM »
Daved, I just received the 60 after getting the 61, can you tell me how to remove the front sight, as I want to get a muzzle break. By the way, where is the best place to get a break for the gun?

Dave@vabch

Offline daved

RE: New/old IZH 60 - LONG
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 12:35:22 AM »
I sold that rifle a while back, so you're going to make me think about this :-).  IF the brain still works, I seem to remember a set screw that was accessed through a hole in the front sight hood.  You'll have to remove it, and even then, the assembly is a tight fit, at least mine was.  I think I had to use a block and hammer and tap it off.

Regarding brakes, our very own Gene Curtis does some nice ones, you can also check out Airgun Artisans, I believe there's a link in the Mall.  Later.

Dave