Author Topic: Daisy 853 Front & Rear Sights  (Read 11530 times)

Offline Fatman

Daisy 853 Front & Rear Sights
« on: October 22, 2009, 06:07:04 PM »
Hi:

As there is a gazillion 853's out there in CMP, 4H, ROTC and various clubs I thought this might be of interest.  It has probably been dealt with before, but I couldn't find much searching here and on other sites, so here goes.

I've tried the inexpensive Daisy sights that come on the Avanti 853 on my 953.  I shoot mostly target and wanted target style diopter (peep)sights.  They are about the only ones avaialble on a limited budget.  Out of the box, the examples I have leave a bit to be desired.

The 853 front consists of a stamped metal housing spot welded to a heavy barrel weight.  The barrel weight is considerably heavier than the one on both the 953 and the 753 (they are identical).  Some shooters prefer a heavier barrel weight as it provides inertial damping, resulting in a steadier hold.  As I have to place the butt high on my shoulder (just notched in at the top) to achieve Natural Piont of Aim, the heavier weight causes strain and doesn't allow for a relaxed hold.  

On the example I have, the sprung tension collar that traps the insert doesn't fully seat the insert, allowing movement.  Also the inserts are fairly crude.  I tried filing the housing but could never get it to hold properly.  I finally bent the small tabs on the insert at a slight angle (towards the rear) and that provided enought tension to stop the movement.  Sometimes the easy fix is the best.  

My current front sight solution is the 753 front sight with inserts.  It only costs around $5 for the sight and $3 for the inserts and it mounts directly on the 953 muzzle weight once the fibre optic blade is removed.  The sight is plastic but is well made.  The inserts are held in by screwing in the rear cap and it holds the inserts squarely and firmly in place.  The inserts, 1 with the sight and 4 additional are a nice step up in quality from the ones with the 853.  The assortment goes form 4.4 mm down to 2.6 mm.  Try one of the larger ones, say 4mm and you may be surprised to see tighter groups.

Over the years I've tried two of the 853 rear sights with good results.  The first (earliest) had the plastic body and would sometimes bind, not moving for several clicks and then jump a bunch with and additional click or two.  I'm not a nob twirler so it wasn't too inconvenient and I generally try to get final adjustment by always going in the same direction, adding 3 clicks past and then back 3 where necessary.

The second has the metal body (the later and current model as far as I can tell) and it wasn't perfect but much better than the first. It didn't bind like the first but it wasn't exactly smooth.  Not being able to leave anything alone, I disassembled it to see what gives.

What I found was all plastic parts with the exception of the adjustment screws springs, detent balls, and the housing.  Not a Gheman but servicable.  There is a small opaque white insert on the left side (looking foreward) that tensions the sight carrier in the frame and it was decideably rough.  It just slips in and tensions the carrier against the housing.  I smoothed the central ridge that bears on the carrier with 600 wet or dry being careful to just smooth it and not remove too much material.  As this keeps the carrier pressed against the housing, if you go too far you will get slop in the carrier and you will then have to shim it, so be careful.  I also eased the corners of the carrier, just removing the sharp edges to prevent binding on the housing.  

The vertical adjustment shaft is necked down at the bottom and is threaded for the retaining nut that holds it in place and provides tension for the detents.  Alarmingly it also seems to be threaded where it goes through the housing.  As this is essentially the bottom bearing for the vertical adjuster, this is not good.  Rotating a threaded steel shaft in a pot metal bearing is certainly a recipe for rapid wear.  As current rules do not permit much in the way of modification to the rifle or sights to remain legal, you don't have a lot of options here.   My solution, was to put a dab of blue locktite on the offending portion (after threading on the retaining nut).  I had noticed that blue locktite will dry into an epoxy like solid from previous experience.  I used a tooth pick to put on just enought to fill the threads, but not form a glob - not too difficult realy.  If you get too much, just wipe it off and try again. After 24 hours remove the nut and test the fit in the housing.  If its too big for the hole in the housing replace the nut and use a needle file to carefully resize it to fit.  I was lucky and it fit without filing.  I reassembled using lubriplate.  Not a scientist, so don't know anything about the stuff except that it is the only thing I have found that seems to work realy well on plastic.  Can't attest to any long term problems, but it made a huge difference in my Crossman 1066 mags and trigger(which were pretty dreadful out of the box).  They're still going strong after 3 years so I guess it's OK.

With everything back together, it works fine, no slop and smooth and precise adjustments.  Hopefully the locktite fix will hold and atthe very  least reduce wear somewhat over time .  

For anyone using the 853 rear sight who is serious about target shooting,  I would suggest a disassembly and clean out plus whatever lube you find works for you.  Oil or Silicone don't seem to be as slick and oil might be a problem with the plastic.  Silicone with PTFE might be good but don't have any so didn't try it.  Maybe Mach1 "Secret Sauce" would work,  I seem to remember that it is ok for plastic.  Whatever.

I have far too much time on my hands.

Cheers,
Fatman

Offline ac12basis

• http://
Re: Daisy 853 Front & Rear Sights
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 05:22:16 AM »
FM, Good review and tips to fix the 853 sight.

This is another option for a diopter sight (front and rear sights)
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Crosman_Precision_Diopter_Sights/608
But at $100 it is more expensive than the 953.  :-(

Mine says "SPAIN" on it, so it is a Gamo sight.  It does not have the slop of the plastic 853 rear sights or the early Chinese copy of the Gamo rear sight.  I have not had time to really check mine out, but I have high hopes.  

The front sight is an insert type, similar to what you are describing the 753 sight is.  
Are you getting it direct from Daisy, as Pyramid lists the front sight for $20.

For those with a bit more cash ($152), the AirForce diopter set has had good reviews.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/AirForce_Adaptive_Target_Sight_Set_Fits_Most_10_Meter_3_Position_Rifles/2236
BUT...I do not think it has been approved as a replacement for the Daisy/Gamo sights on the Daisy x53 rifles, as it is not a stock Daisy part.  So if you shoot competition, you need to check if it is legal to use in YOUR matches.

Offline Magnum

RE: Daisy 853 Front & Rear Sights
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 06:53:44 AM »
Nice report and useful info thanks for sharing:) I bought an avanti diopter direct from Daisy. com  (called here http://daisy.com/feedback.html ) it was a great deal I thought ...about $39 and alot less than the identical  one from one from pyramid at $100 and saw for even  more $ at other vendors not sure why the big variation!.  I was lucky got the one from Spain/gamo  it  has worked very well.   I recall reading somewhere that this sight/diopter  is also manufacture in china, possibly somewhere else too... has sloppy tolerances makes it virtually impossible to tune.  Again, nice write up you did, Tony

Offline Fatman

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 06:57:39 AM »
Hi AC12basis:

The Gamo Rear sight is the one to have.  Very good reviews and ready to go out of the box.  It's legal in all competition as far as I know, because it came on the Avanti's till Daisy sourced copies from China.

I got the Avanti 753 front sight directly from Daisy. It's still around  $5.00 and the set of 4 inserts are $3.00 plus 4 or 5 bucks shipping.  I understand the newer( less than 2 years old) Daisy 753 Rear sights  are OK and don't bind or have excessive play.   They are around $35.00 plus shipping from Daisy and are the same ones that Pyramid had for $59 plus shipping.  Go figure.

The Chinese Daisy 753 rear sight I was given (previous owner said it was junk) had some rough edges on the horizontal carrier which were dragging on the housing and the horizontal shaft was rough.   The e-clip on the vertical adjustment shaft was binding on the sheet metal cover.
Just minor stuff really, but once corrected the sight is smooth and tight.  No discernable play in this one so it's a keeper.  

I must say that this sight design seems a bit chintzy compared to Williams or even the Mendosa or QB target sights (none of which are legal in competition).  Until I was given mine I never looked at one close up. I was surprised at all the  sheet metal and the stamped turret detents.  It seems to work well enough for the level of competition it's targeted at (no pun intended).

I need to spend more time improving the shooter rather than the gun.  Would prove more productive.  I guess I just like to tinker.

Cheers
Fatman  

Offline ac12basis

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 10:26:37 AM »
Magnum and FM
The parts pricing from Daisy is unusual.  Usually replacement/spare parts are much more expensive directly from the mfg.
I think I should replace the fixed front sight on my 853 with a 753 barrel weight and sight.

FM
What you dd with that rear sight is important.  You can't confidently shoot if you do not have confidence in your equipment.  And if you think you are adjusting the sights but it isn't doing anything or it jump, that is NOT something that will help my confidence in the gear.

Offline Fatman

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 11:13:50 PM »
Hi ac12 basis:

Daisy realy does support the youth shooting programs from what I can gather.  As a result their x53 series of rifles are the most widely used of any manufacturer in those programs.  It appears that part of their agenda is to offer replacement parts for their rifles at very fair and affordable prices.  I say Hooray for Daisy.  

As to whether you need/want to replace the 853 front sight with the 753, it depends.  The barrel weight is definately smaller and lighter.  It also raises the sight line to better suite the 753/Gamo rear sight.  The higher sight line allows a more erect head position which I find more comfortable.  It reduces neck strain and seems to help control sway (better balance).

If you shoot better with the heavier weight, you can add a second one behind the first.  Daisy used to offer an 853 variant with two of what looked like two 853 weights one behind the other, so it might be legal for competition.   You may need to contact daisy to get verification of this if your club balks at allowing it.  They may still have the second weight available (it appeared to be identical to the regular 853 but without the welded on sight housing).  That being said, and rules being rules, the only legal version might just be 853 front sight plus the 853 add on weight.

I find and most target shooters place a lot of emphasis on the front sight.  It has been shown time and time again that to get the best results (tightest groups) you must focus on the front sight and not the target. This ususally results in the front sight ring being clearly seen and the bullseye somewhat blurry.   Some shooters are blessed with excellent eyesight and can see both in clear focus.  The rear apeture sight helps with this by contributing the "Pinhole Effect" to the sight picture.  It improves the depth of field which means that both the front sight ring and the target are in sharper focus than would otherwise be possible.  

So back to the 753 front sight.  The rings or inserts are definately better made, they are more precise, appear perfectly round, are tightly held  and, importantly, there are 4 graduated sizes to choose from.  If you are all serious about target shooting you will be looking at that front sight for many hours.  As it is your primary interface with the target, it is one of your most important pieces of gear.  

A lot of shooters will try the smallest front insert available in the belief that by reducing or completely eliminating the white around the bull they will get the best results.  The opposit is usually true.  You wind up straining to perfectly centering the bull when your hold is not, and probably will never be that steady. This results in you trying too hard, holding the shot too long and not getting the result you're aiming for (no pun intended).  Precision shooters will often use different inserts for each position, with the smallest in prone and the largest in offhand (standing).  The less steady the hold the more open the reticle.  Try it and see if it works for you.

Another thing that may help improve your scores is the 753 target stock.  It will fit the 853 and the verticle pistol grip is better suited to target shooting.  It helps in trigger control, facilitating a straight back pull that is not as easily achieved with the sporter style 853 stock.  Its competition legal and is worth considering.   Current daisy pricing sheets show it at $69.00 which in the scheme of things is fairly cheap (still too rich for my blood).   Another way to achieve the same thing is to simply buy a 953.  It is the same configuration but in synthetic (read plastic).  It's realy well made, has a good feel and is actually heavier than the wooden one which is an added benefit.  Pyramid Air currently has them on sale for $71.95.  With their 10% off code that makes it a cool $65.00.  You get the stock, the barrel weight and a lot of spare parts for the same money.  It aint wood but it will do the trick.

If you have even deeper pockets, it seems the best Daisy curently has to offer is the 887 Gold Medalist Competition model.  It is CO2 so you don't have to pump it, if you shoot 3 position, you don't have to break and rebuild position with each shot and it consistantly shoots the tightest groups in the current Daisy lineup.  As I understand it you need the gun, a fill adapter (another $60 or so dollars) and you might want an additional cylinder (yet another $60).  If I remember right, you get something in the order of 300 shots per fill so it is quite economical to shoot.  You can get the cylinders filled at most paintball shops, welding suppliers, fire extinguisher shops and/or commercial compressed gas dealers.  If you have even deeper pockets you can buy or rent a large stationary tank and fill your own cylinders and shoot a gazillion shots before needing a refill.

I do run on .......way too much time on my hands.

Cheers,
Fatman

Cheers,
Fatman

Offline ac12basis

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 11:33:16 AM »
Thanks FM
I was indeed considering replacing the 853 wood stock with a 953 composite stock for both the target profile and the added weight.  I should contact Daisy about what a replacement 953 stock would run.
I think my FWB-300 inserts will fit the Gamo front sight.  As you mention, I use an insert size that will allow me to keep the bull in the aperture "most of the time" depending on how bad my wobble gets  :-)

Offline Fatman

Re: Daisy 953 stock
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 11:23:23 AM »
Hi  ac12basis:

The Daisy 953 order form (price sheet) lists the stock as Key 853-8 (identifies the part on the schematic)  Part Number 138448-000 Stock (black synthetic) for $65.00.  Prices may have gone up a tad but it shoud be close.  Notice the part number identifies it as 853 as they use this stock on the Avanti 853CM, which is essentially the 853 in the synthetic stock, but with the clip advance mechanism and the 5 shot clip (the Canadians use this model in their Canadian Marksmanship Program which is probably why it gets the CM suffix).  That's probably also the reason for the high price.  The 753 Wooden stock Key 753-8  Part Number 169266-100 is listed at $65.00 as well.  Basically the same profile - the wooden stock is lighter and well.... wood.  The synthetic is plastic, seems to be very well made and it's and heavier.  The difference between the 953 and the 853CM is the Walther barrel, the 853 sights and the sling.  The different models also use receivers with different names and numbers, that being the main difference.

Pyramid Air has the 953 on sale for $71.95 with the 10% off code it's a cool $65.00.  You get the stock, a bunch of spare parts and you can put the 953 receiver and clip advance mechanism on the your 853 if you want to go that way.  You get both for less than either stock alone from Daisy - go figure.  They are also showing the Air Arms rear sight for $49.95.  Looks identical to the Daisy/Gamo but for the price, I suspect it's the Chinese (Daisy) model.

Hope this isn't confusing.

Cheers,
Fatman

Offline ac12basis

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 11:30:51 AM »
Thanks FM
That would give me the stock and the barrel weight  :-)