Author Topic: Gamo Rocket Pellets  (Read 9278 times)

Offline Black Mamba

• http://
I'm no expert but....
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 02:41:34 PM »
I will admit to having used the Gamo Rockets in ground squirrel combat on more than one occasion.  In all honesty, they left me wanting.

I have a Shadow 1000 and I have put about 15 different types of ammo through it now.  For me, the Rockets do group well out to 30 yards but after that they really brake up too much for accurate hits.

The two squirrels that I have hit with Rockets both required an additional shot to finish them.  Admitedly neither one was a head shot (first shot anyway) but they were solid body shots in the kill zone.  They both ran back up the damn tree......

I have had FAR better results when culling pest animals with Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums and Crosman Premier Hollow Points.  Both rounds have dropped squirrels and rabbits with one shot to either the head or body up to 35 yards away.

For my money, the Rockets are not worth the purchase.  Keep in mind though, that is just MY experience with my gun.
Lymph, v. To walk with a lisp.

Offline rabbit

• http://
RE: Another solution to a non-problem
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2006, 07:08:51 AM »
Jerrold,

I believe you stated, in another post, that you take turkey with an airgun. Speaking as a long - time turkey hunter, do you still have to make head and neck shots to kill with the airgun? Sir, that would be quite an accomplishment. I am considering trying it myself next spring. Best of luck...

Rabbit
Rabbit

RE: Turkey Hunting
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2006, 09:05:25 AM »
Rabbit:

As far as I know, the use of air rifles in the take of turkey has only been legal in California since the year 2000.

The head/neck shot is preferred when using rifles of the power class that I shoot in .20 caliber.  A high quality .20 caliber springer like an R-1 or R-9 is accurate enough to hit that KZ out to 50 yards. If I keep my skills up, so am I.

I practice on a life-size head /neck target that I photocopy from the back of the CA DFG Turkey Hunting Guidebook.

It is not something I would recommend that more "causual" hunters unwilling to put the time in even try.  But with practice, virtually anyone could develop the shooting skill required to pull it off.

If I was willing to shoot a more powerful rifle in a larger caliber -like a .25 caliber Beeman Kodiak for example, or a larger bore PCP, then I wouldn't be nearly as wedded to head and neck shots on turkey as I am.

With the head / neck shot, though, even a "gutless" little R-9 in .20 is enough gun.

As for it being "quite an accomplishment," it really isn't if you train for it.  All it takes is practice.

-JP