Author Topic: Post Target Pistol, 10M, Match# 42  (Read 2288 times)

Offline gamo2hammerli

• http://
Post Target Pistol, 10M, Match# 42
« on: December 21, 2009, 01:25:23 AM »

....scores here please. Some excellent target shooting last week...let's improve on that. Shoot Often Shoot Safe

Merry Christmas to all.

Gamo: Expotec .177 + Big Cat .177 + Viper .177 + Whisper .177, Hammerli Titan .177, Diana model 24 .177, RWS-Diana P5 Magnum pistol .177, Crosman: G1 Extreme .177 + Storm XT .177 + Sierra Pro .177 + 1377 pistol .177, Air Arms S410SL .22, BSA Scorpion T10 .22, FX Cyclone .177, Remington Air Master 77 .177 + BB\'s,

Offline TAJ45

Re: Post Target Pistol, 10M, Match# 42
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 01:40:25 PM »
Well, looks like I need my steel toes.  Had a slump where I decided to fall back to my previous errant ways and scores took a nose dive, yah, shooting myself in the foot so to speak.  Tried to pull my head out of my nether parts and put together a nice round group at a full 33' w/ the Oly 10m tgt I picked up at the guns show with only a slight breeze rattling the wind chimes.  I am standing 6' inside the garage shooting out the service door to the tgt and was pleasantly anticipating something of a personal best.  Walked down and WHATTTTT?????????? a FIVE at 1:30............grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr in a major way.  So dropped almost the entire deficit tally on one shot, 3ea tens, 6 nines and of course ol' "Smiley".

So LSS, gimme an 89, irons, 46M, RWS R10 match, one hand..........grips not modified - yet.  C'mon guys, let's shoot some and watch the personal improvement.

And thanks to G2H for keeping this end straight each week.
Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.  Hit the target!  All else is twaddle.

\"Speed is fine but accuracy is final.\"  Wyatt Earp, 1888.

Offline ac12basis

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 03:42:33 PM »
TAJ
Hang in there.  We all have our ups and downs.  One of the hardest thing to do when shooting is to FORGET about the past shots (can't do a thing about it) and concentrate on the future shots.  The technique that my coach taught me was to remember how good the good shots felt, and try to duplicate it.  When you think about the bad shots, you are subconsiously reinforcing the bad shots.  So think POSITIVE.

Offline TAJ45

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 06:43:39 PM »
I subscribe to the Bullseye-L list and you have stated the same info as one of the posters did within the last 36 hours..........you are so right.  I'd say half of my bad shots are on call.  The other half are usually because of lack of follow thru, which for me consists of allowing my eye to wander toward the target and relaxing grip.  Notice I said wander TOWARD the target.

I used to focus between my front sight and the target in my earlier years.  Started doing that again as I was picking up the pellet in flight and seeing the hole punched in the tgt.  I have the tgt hung with no backing from a horizontal stick so seeing the light thru the hole allows me to pretty much judge the shot value.  Am thinking about defeating that feedback by putting something separated, further back from the tgt so the holes aren't "backlighted".  Like they say, accurate pistol shooting is 60% mental and the rest is in your head...............

The last shot of this evening's 20 pellets fired was almost a pinwheel on an old NRA 50' rimfire bull shot at 23' in the garage.  Felt pretty good, the front sight was sharp, black and steady.  That's why I will keep a good target around for a while, to just remind myself that I CAN do it and am improving.

Thanks for your comments and conversation.  I love talking technique, results and trials and tribs with another shooter.  The only person I want to outscore is the last guy who shot my gun...............guess who that may be?
Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.  Hit the target!  All else is twaddle.

\"Speed is fine but accuracy is final.\"  Wyatt Earp, 1888.

Offline ac12basis

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 11:35:10 AM »
TAJ
I don't know about your eyes.   But I had to get a special pair of glasses made so I can shoot AP.  With my regular glasses, it was VERY hard to focus on the front sight, but easy to focus on the target...not good.  The new glasses has a prescription that I CAN focus on the front sight w/o straining.  This makes shooting AP a LOT easier.

Keep a record of your scores.  It is fun to look a the scores after a few months and see how much you progresses.
WARNING, the better you get, the smaller and harder the improvements are.  It is like a curve that flattens as you approach 100.  When you are in the 90s, it gets almost flat.  Each point of improvement is hard work.
60 to 70 was fairly easy improvement, 70 to 80 was work, 80 to 90 was hard work, scoring 90+ was infrequent enough that I called it a lucky day.
I also recorded things like time of day, temp, how I was feeling, etc.
As much as I am NOT a morning person, my better scores were in the morning.

Offline gamo2hammerli

Score: 74 1X, Target Pistol-10M, Match# 42
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 03:36:13 AM »

Whoa...we're having a hot spell over the Christmas holidays.....in the +2C temps. Shot this on Boxing Day before heading out for some cross country skiing. My best 10 shot group for this event.

Pistol: Crosman 1377, Sights: Open Sights, Pellet: .177 Crosman Wad, Distance: 10 Meters,

Position: Stand/One Hand, Temp: -1C, Cloud, No wind, SCORE: 74/100 1X

Gamo: Expotec .177 + Big Cat .177 + Viper .177 + Whisper .177, Hammerli Titan .177, Diana model 24 .177, RWS-Diana P5 Magnum pistol .177, Crosman: G1 Extreme .177 + Storm XT .177 + Sierra Pro .177 + 1377 pistol .177, Air Arms S410SL .22, BSA Scorpion T10 .22, FX Cyclone .177, Remington Air Master 77 .177 + BB\'s,