Author Topic: Blizzard still shoots well in the cold  (Read 2688 times)

Offline Zzyzx

• http://
Blizzard still shoots well in the cold
« on: January 02, 2010, 06:05:36 AM »
Had a chance to shoot the Evanix Blizzard in the cold this morning. Was 24 below last night and when I went out to shoot this morning it was still -19 with 15+mph winds. Wind chill was definately there as the cheeks started going numb in exposed areas within a minute. Had to bundle up a bit more... sure glad we have the ice fishing overalls and Mickey Mouse boots from military surplus.

Anyhow, ran off two ten shot strings at 30 and 50 yards. Shot a couple of metal signs. Both yeild signs at 30 and 50 yards.. This was kneeling with the elbow braced on the knee and a bit shaky in the breeze and cold. At least I hit the signs with all 20 shots. The 30 yard group was within about three inches and the 50 yard group about 6 inches. Considering how I was chilly and waving in the breeze I felt lucky to hit them at all. Will have to try it when it is cold, no wind and I can lay down and brace the rifle to a good picture through the scope. For now, the rifle cycled easily and quickly in the cold. Was in the pickup overnight so was the same as the outside temperature. I had to be careful not to breathe on the scope. Fogging isn't the problem, icing is in these temperatures.

Changing the rotary magazines was simple and easy even with gloves on. No hangups and no problems. Removal and insert worked just fine with no hitches. Will be inside when I reload them though. Cold fingers without gloves lose pellets to easily.

So, one of these days I will get a Chronograph and find out how fast it shoots and how consistent. At least I now it shoots well in the cold. Now I will have to get to some pidgeons and crows and make their winter time visit end.

One thing that did happen was the flip up sight cover on the front of the scope snapped off when I first flipped it open. Just snap, and it was off. Will have to check with Pyramyd air and see if this is covered under the warranty of the leapers folks and if they will replace it. 19 below isn't that cold and the wind chill shouldn't make much difference.

Offline ezman604

• Owner/Executive Administrator
RE: Blizzard still shoots well in the cold
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 06:33:09 AM »

Josh, thanks for the continued reports on the Blizzard performance. I'm seriously thinking about one of those as my next addition. But hey, 19 below isn't THAT cold????? If you have a brass monkey, don't leave the little bugger outside.

Happy Shooting!!!!

Dave

Crosman/Revelation 760 PumpMaster (Vintage 1967)
Powerline 1000S .177 (semi-tuned by me)
Benjamin Super Streak .177/.22 (semi-tuned by me)
Benjamin Trail NP XL1500 (bone stock)
Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 (project gun)
TF89 .22 (tuned by Gene)
Winchester 1000WS .177 (semi-tuned by muwah)
QB57 (l

Offline Zzyzx

RE: Blizzard still shoots well in the cold
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 12:00:17 PM »
Yes, 19 below is cold. The wind makes it worse. Our really cold weather is still to come. January is a cold one and February is the coldest month now. Last winter we hit 46 below and had a series of weeks where the high was 17 below. The records in this area show that a few years back there was a six week stretch where the high was 22 below zero. Some nice sunny days, just no warmth.

Then we get to spring when it greens up, Geese, ducks and cranes start migrating through and hit the ponds and lakes and it gets really nice. Wild Tiger Lilies blossom early Summer and the hills are covered with wildflowers. Really a nice time to be here.

I still have to check on some folks nearby and see if a chronometer is available. Does one even work at 20 below zero temperatures?

Offline gamo2hammerli

Re: Blizzard still shoots well in the cold
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 08:54:15 AM »
Wow....great cold temperature testing with your Blizzard.  I thought I was tough shooting in -8C temps with 10kph winds....that's about -16C with the windchill.  -19F with 15mph winds are ALOT colder!!!!  Excellent that the Blizzard works so well in those temperatures.
Gamo: Expotec .177 + Big Cat .177 + Viper .177 + Whisper .177, Hammerli Titan .177, Diana model 24 .177, RWS-Diana P5 Magnum pistol .177, Crosman: G1 Extreme .177 + Storm XT .177 + Sierra Pro .177 + 1377 pistol .177, Air Arms S410SL .22, BSA Scorpion T10 .22, FX Cyclone .177, Remington Air Master 77 .177 + BB\'s,

Offline Zzyzx

Re: Blizzard still shoots well in the cold
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 11:43:31 AM »
Winter in the Dakotas can be brutal. Very hard on machinery in many ways. Mobil 1 goes in the crankcase of all our vehicles. Engine block warmers on all the engines. On startup we idle for a few minutes before taking off. No fast starts when below 0 or thereabouts, just too hard on the cars and trucks. Go gently the first few miles so tires get worn in a bit by the road. When really cold, below minus 15 adn colder you can tell it takes a few miles for the tires to get going OK. Very hard ride for the first few miles until they start flexing more. Dealers in warmer climes say it doesn't happen but they don't drive in these temperatures.

You can always tell someone who has never been here by the 'pour hot water on the windshield' to get rid of ice dumbness. Cracked windshield... and now covered with a sheet of ice. Just try scraping that off in below zero temps. Almost impossible.

The Evanix Blizzard will be used in the next few weeks on some crows and pidgeons. I'll see how well it does. On a cold and still day I will set up some targets at 40 yards and see what kind of groups I can get. Doing it this way I can shoot from a prone position and brace things a bit so I will be more steady. Just have to be careful to keep breath away from the scope. We know colder weather is coming even as it is warmer and quiet today. No wind and 5 above with clouds and an inch of new snow. Pleasant and relaxing. No windchill makes it nice.

Inheriting two rifles from our friend who was taking care of the farm is nice. We will be able to compare the Blizzard with a Turbo Tuned Diana model 48 and a Tech Force 89 over the next number of months. Have a RWA 350 magnum coming from a trade and will see how it does. May be too big. If we can't do some stock work to shorten a bit (if all else works for my frame size) then it will go on the auction block later and I will look more seriously at the Weihrauch hw100 or FX cyclone in PCP rifles for me. That will work well I think in .177 cal to complement the Blizzard in .22 cal.

Nice to be able to read experienced folks impressions of various rifles. This air rifle stuff is almost as confusing as photography gear when one is just starting. Way different from the BB gun in the 50's.