Author Topic: Review of NcStar DAB Red/Green Dot Sight  (Read 2809 times)

Offline fisherdude

• http://
Review of NcStar DAB Red/Green Dot Sight
« on: January 03, 2010, 12:26:10 PM »
I recently moved one of my favorite scopes from my Fast Deer to my new QB-78 which left the Fast Deer without a scope.  This time however, I decided to try something different.  I wanted to try a Dot sight.  I had previously tried the inexpensive Daisy sight and didn't like it but I decided to try again.  This time I ordered a NcStar dot sight that had additional features.  This inexpensive sight (around $20 online) has a selectable red or green dot and the intensity is adjustable which is part of what I didn't like about the daisy sight.  

So I clicked the mouse and in a few days the sight arrived at my front door.  My first impression was good.  The sight is all metal, not plastic.  It appears very solidly built.  The box says it can withstand heavy recoil for whatever that is worth.  The mount  is designed to work with either a Weaver type base or a 11 mm/3/8 inch airgun mount merely by flipping the mounts over.  The mounting system worked great and in less than 1 minute I had the sight on my rifle. The sight turns on with a simple rotation of the knob in the center of the sight.  Rotating in one direction gives a red dot and rotating the other direction gives a green dot.  The selection knob has a very smooth solid feel that I like.

Sighting adjustments are  made with a small allen wrench (included).  The adjustments were smooth and easy to make, but I missed the clicks I get with a scope.  Any way, it was very easy to sight in and I was soon sending pellets down range into my pellet trap.  I learned that I like the green dot better than I like the red dot.  Right away, I noticed that the sighting dot was larger than I would have liked for fine sighting work.  At 10 yards, it completely covered the black on my Gamo taget.  With practice, I found that I could still shoot it pretty good but this is not a sight for fine resolution shooting.  It works great for anything larger than the red or green dot.  This would be good for new shooters to try and It would be good for moving targets as well.  When I am done playing with it on my air guns, I may see if I can mount it on my shotgun.  I think it would be wonderful for duck hunting.

What I Liked:
  The price (<$20)
  Solid Construction (metal)
  Adjustable intensity
  Choice of red or green dot (I found I liked green best)
  Easy to use

What I Didn't Like:
  The sighting dot, red or green, was too large for fine sighting
NRA Life Member

Offline ac12basis

• http://
Re: Review of NcStar DAB Red/Green Dot Sight
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 02:52:52 PM »
As you found out, dot sights are really not "precision" sights.  Although you could put the dot at 6-oclock and still be able to see the target.
I like them on my plinking and trainer/starter rifles.  VERY easy to see and to teach others how to use it.
Just got to remember to turn the darn sight OFF, or you will be replacing batteries.
If you keep the dot about in the center of the sight, that should eliminate most of the paralax.