Author Topic: Leapers Scope for FT  (Read 7579 times)

Offline lsilver

• GTA Donations
Leapers Scope for FT
« on: January 22, 2010, 05:25:20 AM »
Hello Dears,

I´m from Brazil - South America, and i'm looking about a Leapers 30mm SWAT 8-32X56 ( http://www.leapers.com/production/prod_detail.php?mitem=Optics&itemno=SCP3-P832AOMDL ) for FT training with a HW 100T .22 .

Here in Brazil is hard to get good scopes, and top brands as Leupold, or the Nikko top models are far too expensive.

Would somebody gimme some input about this model of Leapers?

I'm a bit afraid because I own an UTG 3-9x40, and the image is distorted on the edges on the high magnification....

As this scope will cost me a good amount, I'm not willing to play wrong on the buy...

Regards,

Leonardo

Offline creeper

• http://
RE: Leapers Scope for FT
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 10:26:56 AM »

They are not exactly giving away Leupolds and best grade Nikkos here in the states either.

I recently purchased andmounted that exact scope on an HW97K. I've used it mostly indoors at 10M and outdoors very little at up to 55M. Keep in mind that this scope retails for only $250 in the US, and the 6-24 is on sale for as little as $199.

The optical quality is pretty good. Not $600 and up scope quality, but a bit better than my Hawke Eclipse 30 6-24X50 when set at the same maginification... which I was not expecting.

All the controls work well, again, not the tactile quality of say, a Leupold 45BR, but not bad for a scope 1/4th the price.

If it sounds like I'm "damning with faint praise" here... it's not because I don't like the scope, in fact I do, but you can only put so much quality into a price point, and I feel that Leapers has done a good job of meeting that compromise of quality and features.

Cheers,
C

Just some dude... move along, nothing to see here.

Offline lsilver

• GTA Donations
Re: Leapers Scope for FT
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 11:51:11 PM »
Hello Creeper,

Now, thanks a lot the nice answer!!!

Just to know, this Leapers will arrive here for something like US$ 585,00.... (my wallet will bleed...)

Around here in South America we have a scopes brand called Shilba, which uses japanese optics in its premium models. These ones are very akin of the Hawke models (maybe the same manufacturer)....

My main concern regarding this Leapers model is about the optics quality, and You gave me a very fair comparison!

But, let me bother You a bit more... How is the focus and paralax at 10m in high magnification?

Kind Regards,

Leonardo  

Offline creeper

• http://
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 04:17:00 AM »

lsilver - 1/25/2010 4:51 AM Hello Creeper, Now, thanks a lot the nice answer!!! Just to know, this Leapers will arrive here for something like US$ 585,00.... (my wallet will bleed...) Around here in South America we have a scopes brand called Shilba, which uses japanese optics in its premium models. These ones are very akin of the Hawke models (maybe the same manufacturer).... My main concern regarding this Leapers model is about the optics quality, and You gave me a very fair comparison! But, let me bother You a bit more... How is the focus and paralax at 10m in high magnification? Kind Regards, Leonardo

Shilba huh? Never heard of them. With Japanese optics, it might be a better choice than either Hawke or Leupold. What does the local FTcrowd think if these Shilbas? Got any photos or a website?

To be honest, I've not really had much opportunity to use the scope toit's fullest extent, so to tell you anything beyond what I already have would be just making stuff up. I've not really gone much past 20Xin use and only "looked around" a bit at 36X.

Regs - C

Just some dude... move along, nothing to see here.

Offline lsilver

• GTA Donations
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 06:21:16 AM »
In USA, Shilbas probably would be a low/medium level of scopes, but around here are some of the fairest choices thinking cost x benefit.

The website is: http://www.shilba.com.ar/es/default.htm but, don't expect that much of information..... And language is spanish.

Anyway, comparing with the Leapers I already have, the Leapers appears to be more rugged.

Good shots and thanks the info!