Author Topic: Anics A-1001 Berkut Review  (Read 6094 times)

Offline bodiej

• http://
Anics A-1001 Berkut Review
« on: January 30, 2010, 02:42:06 AM »
This is my first review, so bear with me (also I'm no pro photographer)..  

This pistol was purchased from Echo Commerce, LLC through Airgundepot.  My two day delivery turned into 6, but I got over it.  Picked it up at the UPS center and tore it open in the parking lot.  The pistol was packaged well in the cardboard box inside it's own hard case.   Case seems kinda wimpy, but at least it's a hard case..  Inside that, I found a very attractive pistol indeed!  The metal slide had a nice finish  and it sat upon a sturdy glockish polymer frame.  Looking over it quicky (I was on the way to work), I found no damage and was surprised by the extra magazine which I didn't order - sweet!  There was one thing I was concerned with - a long metal rod bent 90deg like a big allen wrench with rust all over it...  hmmm

Getting home after an unusually longer day, I tore it open again and got a better look.  Is that RUST in the barrel!!???  Maybe it's some kinda oil I'm seeing in there.  Looking again at the strange rusty metal bar, I wasn't so sure..  Still trying to keep my hopes up, I made it through the manual and disassembled the gun.  Rather easy and straight forward - safety on, remove the mag, cock the hammer, rotate the typical takedown lever, pull the slide all the way back and up, and you're done.  Out comes the cleaning patches and some hopps9.  It IS RUST!!  SONN&*AB*&4CH!!!!   Out comes the cleaning brush and ever so gently run it through the bore several times, checking the crown each time.  You have to clean it from the muzzle with the cleaning rod since the valve sits close behind the breach.  Some more patches and cleaner and I managed to get it looking clean while keeping some semblance of rifling.  From now on, I might be able  to run the patch from the rear using the weed whacker line trick (thanks GTA).  

Speaking of the slide:  This is not a blowback pistol.  I assumed it was, due to the moveable slide.  I guess the slide and recoil spring / guide are all just for bling since they don't do much.  You can cock and advance the rounds in the magazine by racking the slide, but you do the same thing by cocking the hammer.  I guess it's mostly for disassembly.  I'm pretty sure this gun is modelled after a bigger brother powderburner, which is why it's put together so nice.  Functional or not, all parts are well made and tight.  Safety is on the slide and is ambidextrious.  Gun still cycles rounds, cocks, and the trigger drops hammer with the safety on - it just doesn't fire.  I guess the safety just blocks the valve.

The magazine is new to me and seems pretty cool.  Twenty two rounds, rotating in their own little round holders (which also act as the chambers).  Slide the loading cover to the side, and pop your pellets into the holes.  They even provide a brass loading tool to properly seat your pellets.  If a bit of pellet is sticking out either side of it's chamber it will jam within the magazine.  Manual warns to stay within size limits on the pellets (not too long) or the gun will jam.  Also, the chambers have little ribs molded in the to snug the pellets so they stay in place.  Another warning - pellets can't be too loose nor too tight or you'll jam.  The loading tool does it's job well and each type of pellet fit the magazine (albeit some tighter than others).

Took me a while to understand the CO2 loading process.  The cylinder goes into the grip right behind the magazine.  Manual says "Open the cover downwards, untighten the ring counter clockwise, push the cramp lock sideway and pull simultaniously the cover to open the cartridge cramp." (remember they're russian)..  Pictures helped a little bit and after searching all over the floor for the "ring", I realized it was rotated up and inside the grip.  It's a bit complicated at first, but once you figure it out it's a neat design, and very strong.  Cartridge slides in, tighten the ring which just snugs it properly into place against the valve, close covers and push the cramp to pierce the cylinder.

All loaded up, I wanted to go shoot a magazine to check function and to lead up the cleaned barrel.  Babygirl and I donned safety glasses and went out back to shoot at a piece of styrofoam.  Double action trigger pull is crazy heavy and my trigger finger, at a natural pointing aim, can just barely get some pad around the corner of the trigger.  I can get a better pull if I change my grip a bit (two handed I can get a better reach).   I've watched the sights inside the house, and unloaded, and I'll pull them off target on every trigger pull.  Maybe I'll get used to it.  Single action, however, is alot nicer.  You can either rack the slide and drop the slide release to cock the hammer back, or just cock the hammer.  Trigger sets back about 2/3 of it's travel and you take up the rest.  It's a light pull until you get to the breaking point.  The trigger sits very close to the back of the guard before you need to apply quite a bit of pressure to get it to break.  Since there's virtually no movement left to take after the break, the sights stay on target nicely.  Maybe all this will break in or I'll figure out how to get the rest of it apart and at least change some trigger springs.  

Out of 22 rounds, I had 3 failures to fire due to the CPHPs being too tight in their chambers.  Two of those made it almost out and jammed up everything.  Couldn't recock to try again, since recocking cycles the magazine chain and there's half of a pellet sticking out it's hole preventing that.  Due to the same reason, I couldn't remove the magazine either.  Hmmm......  Hey I bet that's what that rusty rod is for!  Wasn't gonna use that thing, so I dug through babygirls toys and found her pickup sticks.  Safety on and one of those down the barrel seated the pellet back into the magazine and everything was clear.  

Today I loaded up two magazines with the rest of my gamo sampler.  These seemed to be less press fitting, so hopefully better on jams.  Every gun likes it's own special pellet anyways right?  This one just has more reasons for finding the good one.  Once it stops raining, we'll do some accuracy testing.  I suppose if each pellet has a little different grip in the magazine chambers, acccuracy is gonna suffer to to fps loss right?  Maybe I'll have to go crazy and weigh and micro each pellet before they go in and let my titan shoot the rest :)  Here's some pics...

Offline patton123

RE: Anics A-1001 Berkut Review
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 05:47:15 AM »
Nice review on the pistol. Looking forward to some more testing.

Eric