Author Topic: Tumbling pellets  (Read 7287 times)

Tumbling pellets
« on: April 04, 2007, 08:06:19 AM »
I have noticed that some of the pellets I use Start to tumble at about 35-40yards. Is this normal? Is there a pellet that will be better 30-40yards?

I shoot a Gamo 440

Pellets that are most accurate at 25 yards are the Beeman bearcub round nose pellets, but they tumble like crazy at about 35 yards out. I have tried pointed pellets but they always have a flyer about every 4th pellet or so.

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
RE: Tumbling pellets
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 12:14:08 PM »
Pellet type, wind, gravity and maby just running out of poop. What do you think fellow member's. :) Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline ribbonstone

• http://
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 02:12:38 PM »
Am thinking that you might want to try other pellets.

IF you intend using them at 35yards, would be best to test at that range. As you've found out, not all pellets that shoot well at 10yards shoot well at 35yards...but so far, if they shoot well at 35yards, they'll shoot well at 10.

May not be the pointed pellet's fault for the fliers...might be your error (springers are picky about the slightest variation in how they are held or rested).

IF you find that most brands of pellets are scattering at long range, then it would be time to take a long hard look at that rifle.  Would clean the barrel for starters....shoot about 6-10shots to condition the bore..and then go for groups.
Robert

Offline longislandhunter

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 02:13:38 PM »
How can you tell they're tumbling??  I'm just curious....

I would think that if they are very light pellets  they would be tumbling due to their light mass making them unstable once they reach a certain speed.  I've read that the GAMO PBA pellets have a tendency to become unstable and "tumble" due to their very light weight.  Perhaps the same principle is effecting the pellets you are using???

Jeff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

Re: Tumbling pellets
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 02:49:48 PM »
Well the targets I am using are taped to cardboard, the holes get oblong and out of wack. If its closer than 30 yards I get the nice bullet hole mark. Tomorrow night I am going to try to zero in at 35 yards with some different pellets.

Thanks for the replys
Jayson

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 03:03:20 PM »
I totally agree with Ribbonstone.. For sure different pellets fly different as the distance of the target increases or decreases.. What I have noticed is that I shoot out at 40 yards once I have my air guns broken in.. When using the pointed and flat pellets they hit sideways and sometimes with face of pellet facing out... How I know this Jeff?... hehehe... Because looking at my fence in back of my target box, I see how they hit.. lol  Maybe this is not the proper way to test them but it was just my observation..:)

The round nose pellets most always shoot and hit with head in the wood.. Just my observation..:) Very scientific... eh   hehe

Gene

THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 04:48:28 PM »
I suggest and ive used to good effect in my guns. Crosman pointed hunting pellets (they actually look domed) They seem to be very accurate and fairly wind resistant at the ranges I shoot at (40 yard average) plus there cheep too.. I think $3 for 250 of them so worth a try.. also give rws superdomes a shot

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 04:09:17 PM »
Well, something interesting, I went back to a 4x6 wood  backing on my target and all the holes look normal, I think the cardboard was tearing weird. The hunter out there what distance do you Zero in at? I am thinking about 25 yards. Most of the sarlings im after are on the power lines in front of my place or in a tree that about 50 feet tall.

Offline longislandhunter

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 01:58:45 AM »
Hey Jayson,

I have most  my hunting rifles sighted in at 25 yards.  Works well for me.  

Jeff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

Offline JMG

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 06:15:45 AM »

Hehe easy on the powerlines I think Big Bill had a post or reply explaining the maintnance of powerlines in another thread elsewhere on the forums. As far as the tumbling pellets go I have been using the crosman pointed hunters in my 2 airguns I have the SS1000 and B3 and they seem to be fairly accurate out to about 40 yards with no tumbling. I just got in an order from pyramid air with some CPL's,tomohawks,ummm beeman silver stings and some rws superpoints so I will be watching the effects of these pellets per your post.

John

Ok I shoot....maybe not well but I do shoot hehe, B26-2.177, X3-B3-2 .177, RWS 34 .177, QB78 Deluxe .177, CR 1322 Medalist
[img=../photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=610]

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 04:10:59 PM »
Well, I did a test and something unexpected happened. I went and bought some Crossman Premier super magnum pellets like 10.0gram or something way high. I shot one through the gun, ended up way low so I put one of my normal Beeman round nose 8.0 gram pellets back in a shot it. No TWANG! No Vibration, feels like a different gun, now I can group pelltes at 35 yard within an inch. If I shoot it right.

This will be about 1200 shots through the gun, I wonder if the heavy pellet did something or it was just coincidence, but this gun is totally different now. Just a Loud Thud and off the pellet flies, the pellet does not drop as much the farther I move out either now.

Think the heavy pellet could have done something?

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 12:40:05 AM »
With a .177 cal pellet rifle it is always best to keep under 10gn for the spring sake.. By shooting heavies (above 10gn) you risk weakening the spring or eventually breaking it.. Depending on how long or how many of the  10gn pellets you have shot through that particular .177 will determine how much damage if any to your spring.....:)

I personally only shoot 7.8gn and 8.3gn through my .177's..... I keep in that safe range that way..:)

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 04:24:20 AM »
I shot one 10.0g pellet. Thats it, hope I didn't break anything but the gun is shooting better now.

Offline SDale

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 05:59:35 AM »
The heavier pellet stayed in the loading port longer when the piston went to compress the air in the chaimber resulting in a slightly higher pressure and a quick rise in temperature. This sudden rise in temp. and pressure reformed the seal to the chamber resulting in a better seal.

It's a trick I've used MANY times when breaking in a new gun. Fire about 4-5 Beeman Silver Arrows (11.5 grain) and then switch to my normal pellet & sight in. It's a good trick to cut dieseling down as well.