Author Topic: Benjamin Super Streak Review w/ theory of barrel change to .22  (Read 8724 times)

Offline banoob

• GTA Donations
Benjamin Super Streak Review w/ theory of barrel change to .22
« on: February 03, 2010, 04:09:59 PM »
Hello i'm kinda new here, and i dont know much about air guns, i got my first gun for christmas it was a benjamin super streak! right out of the box it looked great. very..VERY heavy, i shoot crosman premier hollow points and after the break in shots, can get 1" groups at 50yards!!! The only thing i didn't like about it is that i had to remount the scope to get it to zero. but other than that, it was great. better than daisy pump master's. I tried gamo PBA pellets and was able to get 3" groups at 50yards, and have gotten a 75yard kill on a bird. countless 50 yard kill shots on squirrels, and even a 20 yard rabbit kill. The super streak is very accurate and hits hard even with 7.9g hallow points. However it losses its energy quickly and could not even crack glass at 100yards, but i was able to hit a coke can at 100yards. I've noticed that crosman sells replacement parts for the super streak, including the .22 size. My question is: can i order the .22 barrel from crosman and drill out the compression tube to .22 size and convert it to .22 but still be able to use .177 with a simple barrel change? I figure that if i can drill the compression tube to .22 but without drilling bigger than the seal, i can still use the .177 barrel. Is this possible?

Offline joe-joe guns

• http://
Re: Benjamin Super Streak Review w/ theory of barrel change to .22
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 10:40:08 PM »
There is no need to drill out the transfer port on the compression tube you can switch from one caliber to the other with no change to the gun both internals are the same.
AA S400 .22...Custom stock .22 Disco...Super Streak .22....Diana M34 .177....Daisy model 25 (new issue)....Diana M350 .177.....Daisy Powerline 1000X .177

Offline ezman604

• Owner/Executive Administrator
RE: Benjamin Super Streak Review w/ theory of barrel change to .22
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 10:54:43 PM »

Kevin, welcome to GTA Forums. We're glad you joined us other AG addicts. :)

I've had my SS for a few months and love it. Yes, it's a heavy rifle but I believe the weight and length help make it a VERY accurate shooter. I have not been able to get the advertised 1500 fps out of mine, even after a home tune/lube. I have fired a couple of the PBA rounds just to see what the gun would do. Shooting the PBA rounds in a magnum class springer is not recommended. They are too light and do not offer enough resistance. This can cause the piston to slam the the end of the compression tube rather hard and can/will cause the spring to break or damage other internals. The light weight ammo will also tumble when it goes super sonic causing a loss of accuracy. So, it's recommended to use a heavier ammo to slow it down and make it more accurate. I use CP Ultra Mags (10.5gr) in mine. It stacks pellets and is a deadly hunter on those tree rats at50 yards or more.

I just received my .22 barrel I have had on order for almost 2 months. I may be mistaken, but I don't plan on drilling out my compression tube just for changing the barrel. I may be wrong and will definately find out after chrony testing but I don't believe it needs to be drilled. I'm hoping for the same accuracy and power from the conversion and can't wait to try it. I've ordered all of the attaching parts to make it a simple one bolt swap. Pull the pivot bolt and drop in. Will find out soon just how well it works. The good thing about Crosman parts is how inexpensive they are. The barrel was only $15 + $4 shipping.

Again, welcome and Happy Shooting!!!!

Dave

Crosman/Revelation 760 PumpMaster (Vintage 1967)
Powerline 1000S .177 (semi-tuned by me)
Benjamin Super Streak .177/.22 (semi-tuned by me)
Benjamin Trail NP XL1500 (bone stock)
Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 (project gun)
TF89 .22 (tuned by Gene)
Winchester 1000WS .177 (semi-tuned by muwah)
QB57 (l

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 01:47:25 AM »
No need to drill it out since doing so will result in a big drop in fps and with a bigger breach hole comes less resistance in the compression stroke. Another result of doing so will be possible piston slam and breakdown of the seal and a possible broken mainspring. Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline banoob

• GTA Donations
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 09:30:45 AM »
shadow - 2/4/2010  8:47 AM

No need to drill it out since doing so will result in a big drop in fps and with a bigger breach hole comes less resistance in the compression stroke. Another result of doing so will be possible piston slam and breakdown of the seal and a possible broken mainspring. Ed

That makes sense, thank you for telling me this, i've also noticed that after shooting some 200gamo PBA rounds, and about 1000 7.9g rounds, when i opened it up i noticed small fragments of metal near the breach hole, so i wont be shooting PBAs anymore.

Offline banoob

• GTA Donations
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 09:41:02 AM »
ezman604 - 2/4/2010  5:54 AM

Kevin, welcome to GTA Forums. We're glad you joined us other AG addicts. :)

I've had my SS for a few months and love it. Yes, it's a heavy rifle but I believe the weight and length help make it a VERY accurate shooter. I have not been able to get the advertised 1500 fps out of mine, even after a home tune/lube. I have fired a couple of the PBA rounds just to see what the gun would do. Shooting the PBA rounds in a magnum class springer is not recommended. They are too light and do not offer enough resistance. This can cause the piston to slam the the end of the compression tube rather hard and can/will cause the spring to break or damage other internals. The light weight ammo will also tumble when it goes super sonic causing a loss of accuracy. So, it's recommended to use a heavier ammo to slow it down and make it more accurate. I use CP Ultra Mags (10.5gr) in mine. It stacks pellets and is a deadly hunter on those tree rats at 50 yards or more.

I just received my .22 barrel I have had on order for almost 2 months. I may be mistaken, but I don't plan on drilling out my compression tube just for changing the barrel. I may be wrong and will definately find out after chrony testing but I don't believe it needs to be drilled. I'm hoping for the same accuracy and power from the conversion and can't wait to try it. I've ordered all of the attaching parts to make it a simple one bolt swap. Pull the pivot bolt and drop in. Will find out soon just how well it works. The good thing about Crosman parts is how inexpensive they are. The barrel was only $15 + $4 shipping.

Again, welcome and Happy Shooting!!!!

Dave

15$ for a factory new barrel? thats great!! I also heard from another post that a new spring is like 10$ and a new piston is close to 10 as well. I will be ordering all 3 very soon. I opened my ss up and noticed very little lube on the spring and piston/compression tube. so i gave the spring a nice coat of hi-temp thick grease and with a q-tip put a very light coat of hi-temp molly grease in the comp tube along the pistons range of motion. worked great, no more vibration caused by the spring. i will also be getting the GRT-III trigger soon, has anyone tried this on the SS? if so, how was it?

Offline ezman604

• Owner/Executive Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 09:58:27 AM »

I dropped in a gold "Tuna" trigger as soon as I got my Benji. The best thing you can do for the gun!!!!

Yep, the parts are really cheap from Crosman. I believe the spring was only $7 and the piston about the same. You can call or email Kim Yaddow to check prices and availability. kyaddow@crosman.com or (800) 724-7486 ext 3103.

If you opened your up already, then you must have a spring compressor. Be very sparring with the lube. It can cut down on twang but too much can dampen the springand cause a loss of power. Also adding lube to the entire chamber will probably cause detonations for at least the first few shots. One other tip is if you have the equipment, grind the ends of the spring as smooth as you can. Remove any burrs on the ends, as well as the inside and outside portions of the spring. I finish the ends of mine off by buffing them with jewelers rouge on a buffing wheel to give them a chrome like finish. Get a stainless steel washer and buff it smooth also. Put a small amount of moly on each end of the spring and washer. Install the spring and put the washer on the spring guide before installing it. This gives the spring a very smooth surface to rotate on that will help eliminate torgue when firing and also make it easier to cock.

Do a search of all the forums here for Benjamin Super Streak and all dates. You will find a lot of info, tips and tricks as well as member reviews on this fine AG. Hope some of this helps.

Dave

Crosman/Revelation 760 PumpMaster (Vintage 1967)
Powerline 1000S .177 (semi-tuned by me)
Benjamin Super Streak .177/.22 (semi-tuned by me)
Benjamin Trail NP XL1500 (bone stock)
Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 (project gun)
TF89 .22 (tuned by Gene)
Winchester 1000WS .177 (semi-tuned by muwah)
QB57 (l