Author Topic: Nikko Stirling 4-12X42 Air Rifle Scope  (Read 8467 times)

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Nikko Stirling 4-12X42 Air Rifle Scope
« on: April 06, 2007, 10:13:02 AM »
Has anyone bought or used a Nikko Stirling scope in the past..?? I found a new Nikko Stirling 4-12X42 Air Rifle Scope for $104.99.. This particular scope is AR rated and comes with a Nikko mount included..

Let me know if anything about your experiences with the Nikko Scopes..

Thanks
Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline longislandhunter

• http://
RE: Nikko Stirling 4-12X42 Air Rifle Scope
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 02:34:28 AM »
Hey Gene,

Saw a post on another forum bout one of them scopes (the brand, not exact one you're lookin at) and he said his GAMO 220 ate it up.  Just thought I'd pass it on.  

Jeff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

Offline daved

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 03:46:39 AM »
Didn't =ed say he'd killed a couple of NS scopes on his Air Wolf?  Or is that another brain fart :-)?  Don' know if you've checked it out yet, but Nikko Sterling has a pretty extensive web site.  I don't remember what it is, but I just did a Google search to find them.  From what I read, the one you're talking about is definitely not their top line.  But keep us posted.

Dave

Offline Gene_SC

Re: Nikko Stirling 4-12X42 Air Rifle Scope
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 04:04:14 AM »
Thanks Jeff and Dave.....  I have since found that that brand of scope is pretty far up on the food line for springers...:) I am still looking at a couple other AR scopes and waiting and praying the price goes down...:)

Thanks again

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline USNCop

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 03:21:11 PM »
I've been using 2 Leapers scopes with good success.  Both are True Strength series and AR rated.  One is on my B26 .22
I would also humbly recomend looking at the Tech Force AR scopes.  They are still built like the old style BSA AR scopes.
I have talked with 2 different technicians about them and they both told me they seldom have a return on them.
My neighbor has one on his TF49 Contender that I installed for him.  I have been meaning to do a side by side comparison with my Leapers.  From memory though, I would say the TF is as good if not slightly better optically.

In fact, Comp@$$ec0 tells me that they have so much success with them, they haven't changed the design to this day.

I looked at the NS Gold Crowns and Nighteaters.  I thought they were a bit too heavy.
QB57 .177, BAM B26 .177, BAM B26 .22

Offline gercourt

• GTA Donations
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 05:36:26 AM »
Gene, I'm new here and this is my first reply. It's a little past when you asked yor question but I just found it today. I have the exact scope you are asking about. I have it mounyed on aan RWS 34 with the RWS "C" mount. The scope is very clear and very bright at all magnification. Perfectly sharp, couldn't be better even out to 75 yards. I love the mil-dot feature which makes holdover at distances reliably repeatible. The 4-12x range I find to be idal for my needs: easy general view at 4x with ability to zoom in very closely. You could have a longer range, but those scopes get physically very long and sometimes dark at high powers. Adjustments are easy, very positive, and clearly marked. The finish is a very even matte black and the rubbber-covered moving parts (AO and magnification are smooth and easy to turn). The AO scale is very accurate so you can return to the same place easily. The reticle (duplex with mil-dot) is very fine and extremely easy to see without blocking anything you are aiming at. The bottom line is that it works beautifully and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another or recommend this to anyone looking for a really top quality scope. I think it is a bargain.

Gerry  

Offline gercourt

• GTA Donations
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 05:41:02 AM »
Gene, I forgort to add that the included scope mount is very solid, no flimsy junk here. I'd expect to pay at least $20 for it alone. I didn't use it because of the droop barrlel on the gun I scoped (RWS 34) requiring an adjustible mount. It certainly adds to the value of the scope if you can use it.

Gerry

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 07:39:05 AM »
Hey Gerry

Thanks for the input on the Nikko Sterling Scope.. It is nice to see that someone really likes this scope and stands behind it as well.. And just the mere fact that it is standing up to the RWS 34 recoil means it must be a good scope..

Thanks for sharing it with us and your input Gerry

Gene

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 07:42:47 AM »
Oh ya, that was another good point I noticed about the scope when I first saw it...:) I wanted the scope for my RWS 34 as well.. I ended up buying a Simmons Master Series Air Rifle Scope..:) with a beeman droop barrel fixed one piece mount..:)

Gene

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline daved

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 09:26:55 AM »
Hey, Gerry,  two questions.  Where did you get your scope, and how's the eye releif?  Nikko's web site says it's less than 3 inches, which might make it work for me, even with it's overall length.  I'm looking for a new scope for my HW 77, had decided that 13 inches long was max, but with 3 inches of eye releif.  With my budget of under $200, I was down to the Leapers 3-12 compact, the Bushnell Banner or Trophy 4-12, or a Swift 4-12.  This might be another option.  TIA.

Dave

Offline -=ed

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 10:10:34 AM »

Yep, 2 in a row. [6-24x56]

More QC than gun related, I'd think. The Airwolf has very little recoil, you'd expect any scope to hold up.

Now they're out for 6 weeks.

Bought another from AoA until I get the other back from their distrib, Legacy Sports, then they said they'd take the return back

I'm beginning to like the Leapers quality better, though they seem to be a bit heavier.It has 1/8" clicks, which I like.

-=ed..................... \"...and in our dark despair, against our will... wisdom comes...\"

Offline gercourt

• GTA Donations
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 02:33:45 PM »
Daved, apologies for not answering sooner but I just noticed today (4/30) that there was more to this thread. To answer your questions: I bought my Nikko-Sterling from airgundeopt.com (and they were very good to deal with). I purchased it with an RWS 34 and they gave me a great deal on this scope. The eye relief as I measured it is just about 3 inches. I am very pleased with this scope and I really don't think I could want any improvements. It's very clear, very bright (even at 12x) and very sharp - a pleasure to use. Controls are all very smooth and easy. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. If you are considering a Leapers 3-12 Compact, DON'T! Read my soon to be written review. It's a real dog. I just bought one for a Gamo CFX and it's going back in the morning. Look elsewhere. By the way, I discovered that the Nikko-Sterling 4x12x12 fits my CFX perfectly without blocking the pellet loading port and might do the same on yor HW77. I thought it would be way too big, but when I mounted it I realized that I'm very comfortable with the scope back far enough that it doesn't block anything and I'm happy it fits comfortably. Good luck with your selection and enjoy that really sweet rifle!

Gerry