Author Topic: New Recoil Pad for the RWS 34.............  (Read 4662 times)

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
New Recoil Pad for the RWS 34.............
« on: April 15, 2007, 02:30:27 AM »
My biggest complaint with the RWS 34 has been the stock not having a recoil pad.. I am so used to all my other air rifles with recoil pads that the RWS 34 only had grooves in the butt of the stock.. It would not stay in one place on my shoulder and was a distraction to shooting..  I may be a bit picky but at least I know what I like when holding an air rifle when shooting..:)

I had been thinking about this problem since I first shouldered the rifle, and knew what I had to do to cure the issue.. The fix was to buy a aftermarket recoil pad and modify it to fit the butt of the RWS 34.. Also knew that I would have to sand the butt of the pretty stock which really rubbed me the wrong way..:) So yesterday I made up a block with 60 grit sandpaper and mounted it my vise. Mad a jig to sit stock in while I slid it back and fourth over the block of sand paper.. My main concern was keeping it straight and even..:)

It took me about two hours of sanding to delete the curves, and grooves in the butt.. Quite a lengthy process by hand I may add.. hehe.... I do not own a 3 inch belt sander so this was my only recourse.. I had the rubber butt plate all ready to mount, but I wanted to put a white shim of plastic between the butt end of stock and the rubber recoil pad.. So I took one of those plastic "For Sale" signs that are about 1/32" thick and cut out a piece to sit between the stock and rubber pad..

After sanding everything up to match the stock I then etched some rough surfaces in both sides of plastic and rubber butt pad.. Cleaned and wipped 3M glue on all surfaces and let stand for a few minutes.. Then I layed the pieces on the butt of stock. Aligned everything up and took some duct tape and pulled it tight accross the side of stock and over the butt plate to hold it in place. Used about three pieces of tape to lay accross the stock and butt to keep it in place while glue set up.. A couple hours later I removed the tape and WA LA...:)

First thing I did was shoulder the rifle and oh boy.... hehe...... I had what I wanted.. A great fit to the shoulder and it did not slide or move as I was shooting...:)

I have not camera yet but will get it within the next week or so and I will have lots of pics fer ya...:)

I also put a Gamo 440 rubber butt plate on my B-3... It was almost a perfect match.. I wanted to extend the stock more on the B-3 because my arms are a bit long and it made all the difference for me.. Not as much work but it did the job and dressed up the B-3 a bit..

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: New Recoil Pad for the RWS 34.............
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 04:12:47 AM »
Ya Mike, I know I should of purchased a belt sander and I thought about it. Even saw a basic one for $99.00 the other day at Home Depot but passed it up.. Will have to check out the one you mentioned though.. I sold all lmy tools when I moved to SC.. I had a wood lathe that was fantastic. It had belt sander, and band saw attachments that would of been perfect for doing this job, but I am gradually building up my shop again... That reminds me why I bought all those tools to begin with..:) I did all my work with simple tools for years and gradually bought tools to fit my needs... hehe

Patients comes with age I think Mike... hehe....... But I sure was trying to be carefull and take my time on that stock so it would come out looking half way decent.. hehe

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin