Author Topic: Anyone rebuild their own Air Force pumps?  (Read 4204 times)

Offline neric

• http://
Anyone rebuild their own Air Force pumps?
« on: April 22, 2010, 06:58:57 AM »
My Air Force pump for my Talon SS has failed me today.   It locks up at about 500 PSI and the room temp is only 68 degrees.  It acted like this first time today after about a month since last using it, but then I simply bled off the air and tried it again and it worked fine.  After some shooting and wanting to refill again,,,,it has failed and won't recover after two trials of bleeding off air.

I am reasonably mechanically inclined and I believe I can do it myself, assuming it doesn't require many special tools.  

Questions I have:  are the O rings the standard variety available at local hdwe store?  Or do I need to order a special set of O rings from somewhere?  What type of lube should be used?

If I have to send it in, will Pyramid Air rebuild it or should I just send it Air Force?

Thanks for feedback.
Hunters know they\'re gonna need a clean pair when they see you comin\'

\"Squirrel Skivvies\" is a copyrighted trademark of the Bird Feeder Raiding Corporation

Offline longislandhunter

RE: Anyone rebuild their own Air Force pumps?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 08:36:20 AM »
I think you have to contact Air Force.  I just read on another forum that a guy called Air Force and they sent him a complete set of O rings.  

Jeff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

Offline DaveShooter

Re: Anyone rebuild their own Air Force pumps?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 04:48:50 PM »
I just did a rebuild on my Benji Hand-pump. If it is anything like the Bemji Pump shouldn't be too hard to rebuild.here is a picture tear down and rebuild of the Benji Pump http://www.ballestaperu.com/comunidades/forum/33-taller-aemero/6257-mantenimientoa-inflador-benjamin.htm it has an english translation from spanish. Hope that helps.

Offline DaveShooter

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 04:40:17 AM »
On yellow forum there is a post about your pump. It has a link to Talon Tunes. It is the same one basically I gave to you.
Dave

Offline neric

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 06:01:46 AM »
That link with the picture rebuild looks fantastic, just what I was looking for.  It is in Spanish,,,didn't get the translator to work for me yet,,,,I presume I must register first.,,,,,I did register but haven't gotten a response in my email yet to verify me,,,,still waiting for that,,,,the pics take a loooonnnnnggggg time to load up on dial up,,,never did completely load them yet, keeps timing out

But,,,wow,,,thanks for that link.

\"Squirrel Skivvies\" is a copyrighted trademark of the Bird Feeder Raiding Corporation

Offline DaveShooter

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 08:47:25 AM »
I just hit translate button on link> It went to english. The one at Talon Tunes on the Yellowforum  was in English. Good luck and please let me know how you do on your pump!!!!

Offline neric

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 11:08:08 PM »
I still haven't gotten an email verification to reply back to their forum - I don't know about that.  But I'm thinking that the reason it didn't go into English  is because I am on dial up - a great many errors happen because I am on dial up.   I'll go look on the Yellow forum.

Preliminarily I was wondering about the pump and rebuilding it and I was thinking about trying this - but of course I haven't seen anything yet and I would like your opinion:  its a three stage pump,,,heat destroys O rings,,,,,I was thinking that probably the only part that is cooked is the third stage.  Just replace that part.  There is an Industrial Supply place in town that carries high pressure O rings and they'd probably just give me what I need.  They love it when I come and bring my toys - a fun change of pace for them.

I am going to attempt rebuilding it myself.  I'll keep you posted.  It'll be a few days before I get around to it.

thanks for your help

Offline DaveShooter

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 02:35:20 AM »
I took mine all the way apart just like the pictures show. I only had to replace 1 or 2 o-rings, Excuse me I think I replaced 3 all togeather. I cleaned the check Valve cleaned all the grease or oil off all parts and base. What was bad was i lost my check valve spring, anyway got that replaced along with o-ring on check valve. I did use silicone grease or divers grease on inner tube parts and use 30 weight engine oil on main tube or shaft that is seen when you pull up handle or are pumping up pump. Haven't had an ounce of trouble since. I did plumb an inline filter or mini-dessicant filter into my pump for mosture reasons just to be on safe side when refilling rifles to sweet-spot when i am not using scuba tank. With pumb you always got an air source which is a good thing. Their is an hole or opening in the bottom of inner tube or shaft tha lets air flow through to base of pump that can as well as bottom of check valve got clogged on mine. I tell you Duane at Sun Optic's America helped me alot. Lord knows I sure did bug him to death. They are a great people at Sun Optic's America they do the repair work on Benji 3 stage pumps for crosman airgun company. Here is Duane's #817-350-4621. Hope that helps ya out. Airgun people are the greatest bunch of folks around....

Offline neric

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 11:46:09 PM »
Yes Dave,,,your input helps me out a lot.  thanks for all the detailed information.  I am looking forward to doing this project with no reservations now that you've helped me out.

Thanks again.

Offline DaveShooter

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 03:44:21 AM »
Again no expert by any means. Duane @ Sun Optic's Amer helped me out along with the spanish translate to english pictures. Glad I was able to give you and anyone else the info. I like to help people out if I can. Take care and good luck with your pump issue.
Dave I like yourSquirrel picture cute little fella Ha Ha