Author Topic: Gregg’s gun…the plot thickens  (Read 1020 times)

Offline CharlieDaTuna

• http://www.charliedatuna.com
Gregg’s gun…the plot thickens
« on: April 30, 2007, 09:15:01 AM »
In case you missed it, start here:

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.com/airguns/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=2797&mid=17777#M17777

Gene stopped by today cuz he too wanted to see what happened to Gregg’s gun when it came in today, and as expected, it did.

The first thing that we did was set up the chrony. I was expecting the velocity to be down to about 650-700 fps and it was the first thing that I wanted to check prior to doing anything else and see just how much loss it actually had. I popped a pellet in and cocked the gun. Oh ohh… something’s wrong. It cocked just as a normal gun would cock and feel with normal cocking effort. That was not expected.

After putting the first pellet through the lights, we came up with 924 fps. Hmmmm…… nothing like I expected prior to cocking. Well we put about a dozen more pellets through it and came up with a low of 919 and a high of 926. Very good numbers indeed. Nice and tight as well as consistant.

So let’s take a look at some groups and see what happens. The gun came without a front sight on it so I put one on so we could test it with iron sights. I was sure glad Gene was here cuz with my being a diabetic, my vision is not good, especially when shooting with iron sights beyond 10 yards or so. So Gene did the testing with my help.

Gene would line up the sight on target and holler..... PULL....., and I’d pull the trigger….lol… No..jist kidden…lol…

Anyhow, Gene did a few quick test groups to see how it would group using random Gamo pellets. The idea was just to get an idea of how tight it might be with a guesstimate pellet. Gene was shooting freehand at about twenty yards and getting groups of about half dollar size and less even with his caffeine gitters.

Well Gene had to leave and after he left, just for the heck of it, I popped the spring and piston out just to have a look see. The seal was fine and did not appear to have had any excessive lube in front of it and no hot spots. The spring was within 1/8 inch of what a normal Tarantula set spring would be based on my setting up of the power plant. There was no damage to the spring seat. It had no appearance of damage anywhere or what I would have expected find. I FOUND NOTHING WRONG

What caused the initial detonation???? I don’t know. I have to assume that it was detonation because of the re-cocked spring that Gregg discribed. But there was no evidence of that happening and dry firing would not have done that. Go figure..

I called Gregg and discussed it with him and he feels that perhaps a lot of it is that what happened surprised and shocked him so much that he have been visualizing some of it and expected there to be problems and that it seemed to feel different. I think I can except that because any of us the have either unexpectedly dry fired a gun or experienced severe detonation can relate to it. Something just had to break or be damaged. It can be scary sometimes.

As far as the accuracy is concerned, it seems that the inconsistency could very well be that he is cleaning his barrel far too often and not letting it get seasoned. Then, finding the right pellet which we all know can be frustrating sometimes. And finally, hold sensitivity. Like a lot of us old geezers, we don’t have the “hold sensitivity” that maybe we once had…lol…

So anyhow, the gun will be shipped back to Gregg in the next day or so and hopefully he won’t have any more problems.

Now then….where wuz I???
Bob  aka:  CharlieDaTuna
Co-founder of the GTA

HOME OF THE GRT-III TRIGGER

Home of the NPSS-NP Triggers:  
            http://charliedatuna.com/NPSS.htm

E-Mail:  CDT22@Verizon.net

Benji-342 .177 /Brazilian Winchester 800 .22 /Gamo Cadet .177 /Gamo Shadowmatic .177 /Gamo 440 .22 /Gamo Royal .22 /Gamo Whisper .177 /Gamo SK-1 .20 /B-20 .177 /TF-99 .177 /QB-78 .177 /QB-78t .22 /QB-78-(CD) .22 /QB-78-(CJ) .22/QB-78D .22 /Crosman 2240 .22 /Cros 150 .177 /Crosman Back Packer .22 ?Crosman AS 2250 .22 /Daisy Mod 93 .177 /Marksman 2004 .177 /GS 35 .177 /FWB-124 .177 /Custom Marauder .22 /Custom Disco .177