Author Topic: Leapers 3-12x44 Mini SWAT Mil-Dot Scope - 30mm  (Read 8267 times)

Offline gercourt

• GTA Donations
Leapers 3-12x44 Mini SWAT Mil-Dot Scope - 30mm
« on: April 30, 2007, 03:09:56 PM »
I just received this scope yesterday and the Accushot high profile one-piece mounts for it today. This combo was purchased for use on a new Gamo CFX. The reasoning for the choice was that the short scope would fit comfortably on this rifle without blocking the pellet loading. Also the 30mm tube should make this baby really bright and clear. Well, I'll get right to it and tell you that this scope is a real dog on many counts! Avoid it like the plague! Run the other way! It's only redeeming qualities are that it looks nicely finished and feels very nice in your hands before you mount it. If you really want to use it be prepared for many disappointments.
The Accushot mounts are very nice (no problems with them) even including a scope stop pin that perfectly fits the Gamo mounting rail. As for the scope: it has a tremendous amount of optical distortion. There is no position you can find which will give you a clear view through this scope - none! Always part of the field of view will be out of focus and distorted. To put it another way, there is NEVER more than half of the field of view that is clear at most. It had a rather strange look to it. Someone on another forum described it as a rather "fisheye effect". Unfortunately I read a bad review only after I had ordered this turkey. As you move your view through the scope the distortion shifts all over the frame. It looks like a 60's movie trying  to portray being on LSD. Not particularly helpful for target or hunting! No matter how close or far away you get, it's always distorted.
Mechanically, there are also problems. While the windage and elevation controls are smooth, they give practically no sound or feel to the clicks. (I like to know how far I am moving the controls during adjustment.) The focus control is overly tight and the Adjustible Objective (parallax) control is impossible. You practically need Vise Grips to move it - really annoying. Also, the magnification control is also impossibly tight. For a 30mm tube there is no brighter than a Nikko-Sterling 4x12 scope I have with a 1 inch tube.
It's really impossible to say anything functionally good about this scope which is going back to Pyramyd in the morning. I rate it UNACCEPTABLE! Look elsewhere if you need a scope with these specifications. Also, for $126 Leapers should be ashamed with this ripoff glass. Actually, to be fair, it does come in a pretty green box!

Gerry  

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
RE: Leapers 3-12x44 Mini SWAT Mil-Dot Scope - 30mm
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 11:10:43 PM »
Thank's for the reveiw on it. It's good to know these thing's before we buy one. :0 Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline JMG

• http://
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 10:37:24 AM »

Yeah ty very much. I am looking for a little higher power scope than the 3x9's I have now I am probably gonna spend around 75-100 bucks on a 4x something or maybe I will go a little higher if someone has an extreme valued 4x ao type scope, I would like it not to be fixed since my ranges vary quite a bit. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

John

Ok I shoot....maybe not well but I do shoot hehe, B26-2.177, X3-B3-2 .177, RWS 34 .177, QB78 Deluxe .177, CR 1322 Medalist
[img=../photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=610]

Offline Gamo X-Ring Shooter

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 01:38:58 PM »
Dang I am sure glad I read your review.  I was thinking about buying one a week or two ago but never got around to it.  Will pyramid give you your money back?  I'd be interested to know if they give you any problems over returning it already used.

Brian

Offline daved

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 03:17:10 PM »
Hey, John, check out my recent review on the Nikko Stirling 3-10x42.  Interesting enough, I just got one of the Leapers compacts as a warranty exchange.  Although not quite as bad as the one Gerry got, it's not good, and it's nowhere near as good as the Nikko.  I have two Leapers scopes right now, the compact and a 6x Bug Buster, I'm not real happy with either.  Gerry's review actually makes me feel a little better, I was starting to think the problem was with my eyes :-)!  Good luck.

Dave

Offline daved

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 03:25:36 PM »
What is it with Leapers QC lately?  I have two of their scopes right now, and they both have the same sort of problems you're having.  The compact came in as a warranty replacement for the second full size that failed on me.  After 15 or 20 minutes, I took it off and put the Nikko Stirling back on.  Not sure what to do with it now, can't return it, maybe trade it for something.  The other one is a 6x Bug Buster, I reviewed it already, this one is also a warranty replacement, and is no better than the one i reviewed.  But I think I can still return it to Pyramyd.  Good luck.

Dave

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: Leapers 3-12x44 Mini SWAT Mil-Dot Scope - 30mm
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 11:41:12 PM »
Ya Dave....:) Thats why I have not bought any Leapers Scopes in a long long time..:) When I switched to Simmons a while back I was pleasantly surprised at there quality.. But all makers of scopes have problems of course.. They do not check everyone of them coming off the production line.. They are spot checked like everything else...:) So there are always defective scopes getting past the QC..

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline daved

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 01:32:33 AM »
I can accept the occasional "slipped past QC" problem, but I've now had 6 (SIX!) different Leapers scopes in my possesion over the last year, in 3 different models, and ALL have had problems.  This definitely qualifies as a trend, and means I'm through with Leapers scopes.

Dave

Offline gercourt

• GTA Donations
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 12:34:58 PM »
Greetings guys! This is just a follow up on the Leapers I reviewed here. I had no problem in talking with Customer service at Pyramyd Air where I bought this bad scope. They gave me an RMA (return authorization) number without a hassle and will refund my money so I won't get stuck with this really poor quality scope. It's on the way back now.
With Dave's experience with six bad Leapers scopes in one year I would be very hesitant to even consider another without putting my hands on the one I would buy. Good luck with your scope shopping out there - things are not always as they are advertised!
Gerry