Author Topic: CFX -Quest hybrid  (Read 1754 times)

Offline fisherdude

• http://
CFX -Quest hybrid
« on: May 11, 2010, 01:50:32 PM »
My CFX has had a seriously bent main spring ever since I got it about 18 months ago.  I don't know if I did something wrong or if these things just happen.  It also had an enormous amount of twang/buzz and bucked like a bronco when I fired it.  To make matters worse, I lost an e-clip and the spring that held the part that keeps it from firing during cocking.  Plus the main seal was chewed up from burrs left during manufacturing.  Gamo was absolutely no help at all for parts - I won't likely purchase another!  Because of this I haven't fired it for months.

Well, I tore it down and polished out all the burrs, then found a new o-ring at Lowes for the breech seal.  I found a main piston seal somewhere online.  I suppose I could have ordered a spring from James Maccari, but I had to order some parts for my Nephew's Quest, so I thought "what the heck"  --  I ordered a Quest main spring, a spring for the safety and extra e-clips all at the same time from Crosman for just a few bucks.  And the lady on the phone was very nice - not at all like Gamo. So yesterday I put it all together with proper fresh lubes and WOW! it shoots great now!

So, for any of you who want to try this, the Quest spring was not quite a drop in replacement for the Gamo main spring.  The Quest spring has a smaller ID and I had to turn down the spring guide and top had a little but I have a mini-lathe so this was easy.  The Quest spring was a little longer and I had to cut back the guide a little bit to give it about 1 wire diameter of extra room before I could cock the rifle.

I don't know if it shoots faster or slower with the Crosman Quest spring, and I don't care. My sense is that it didn't change a lot one way or another.   I am personally more interested in accuracy and with all the twang and torque gone it is a much smoother rifle to shoot -  I am very pleased with the new found accuracy.  My CFX now shoots the way I expected it to shoot when I bought it. -- Even it it is now a Quest hybrid!
NRA Life Member