Author Topic: I was bored this morning...  (Read 2231 times)

Offline larspawn

• http://
I was bored this morning...
« on: May 23, 2010, 07:07:38 AM »

Well, not really bored. I cut the lawn and weedwacked then I was putzing around in the garage and remembered I needed to shoot some groups from my Hammerli 850 on C02 as reference before I add the HPA tank to it. I had the HPA tank on before but it was reg'ed for paintball at 850 PSI most likely. It shot consistent but same average power as with CO2 at 730 fps with CPLs. So I put one thick washer as a shim and will reinstall.

Here's the groups: (Well its the first picture. I don't know how to insert into the text. First group was 8 shots. The rest are 4 shot groups from 12 yards)

Then I remembered an idea I had before. Last year my sprinkler antisiphon valve cracked and I needed to replace it. It was cheaper to replace the whole thing that rebuild the crappy plastic internals so I had the cover left over. I had hit it with a screwdriver and thought that's a nice sounding bell. Well I searched the eBay for a firebell to make a target from and they were expensive. So what better way to use this left over valve cover? Hmmm, then I remembered i had a box of lifting plates left over from when I built my house. They were used to lift structural insulated panels into place so are pretty thick. Yes, I'm a packrat and proud of it. So after drilling out some target holes on the drillpress here is what I have:

Just shot some from the Hammerli and the ding when you hit bull sounds awesome! A miss greets you with a splat raspberry! It conveniently fits inside a target box too.

Yup, I'm an airgun nut!

Andy Wong aka larspawn.

-----------------------------------------------
Guns:  One less than too many...

Offline larspawn

Re: I was bored this morning...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 10:23:24 AM »
Hey all,

Sorry for the bad grammar and the random thoughts above.  I was in a rush as usual.  LOL

Okay so I installed the HPA tank and filled to 1500 psi.  Shot some groups and damn velocity with same pellets dropped from 730ish to 650.  Guess I need a lighter spring and not shimming.  Now that I think about it I had the concept backwards.  Shimming the hammer hits the valve harder letting more air through and more power.  Shimming the spring on the pin valve without changing hammer spring opens valve less NOT MORE!  Darn when you're rushing and not thinking you do stupid things!  Guess I'll shoot it down and take the reg apart and look for a lighter spring.  ARGHH!!!!

Andy
-----------------------------------------------
Guns:  One less than too many...

Offline djmyers

RE: I was bored this morning...
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 03:22:19 AM »
Thats a prety cool set up with the target. Good thinking.
Gamo Hunter gas piston GRT 3 leapers 3-9x40ao
Big Cat GRT 3 leapers tactedge  
Diasy 120
RWS 350 mag PG2 leapers 4-16x50ao
Crossman 2200
Crossman 2250
Crossman 1377
Daisy 880
2 Chinese underlevers
2 European break barrels.