Author Topic: carbon fiber tank storage  (Read 5330 times)

Offline redtank

• GTA Donations
    • http://
carbon fiber tank storage
« on: May 26, 2010, 05:29:09 AM »
I'm storing my tank in the house where it's relatively cool all the time. But occasionally I'm going to have to leave it in my cars trunk, where it can't rattle around should I have to brake hard. My question is, can the heat build up in a car on a sunny 90° day cause a filled tank to burst or at least cause valve seal issues? I would imagine my car gets to 140°F on a spring day here in N. Texas and maybe hotter come summer time.....what do other members recommend?
----
Daystate Air Wolf MCT, BSA Supersport, RWS 34 Pro Compact, Remington NPSS, QB-78, Crosman 1377
----
Don\'t take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive

Offline ezman604

• Owner/Executive Administrator
RE: carbon fiber tank storage
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 06:01:31 AM »

We sell and service them here where I work. We also have several Fire & Rescue personnelworking here that actually use them in that volunteer job. I posed the question to them and they told me there is no problem storing a fiber tank in a vehicle that gets warm. They store their tanks in metal buildings and vehicles that get very warm. They also use them in very hot situations and thereare no problems with heat.

In what I've read, the only time to be concerned with heat and a carbon fiber tank isduring filling. You need to fill at a speed that keeps the temperature below 140. Higher than that can damage the seals. If the tank is getting hot to the touch, the fill pressure should be reduced to lower the temperature. Too high of a fill pressure that causes heat will also result in a major change in the filled volume after it starts cooling down. The guys in our Fire & Rescue division say it can change the fill pressure as much as 500 pounds after it cools down.

Hope this info helps.

Happy Shooting!!!!

Dave

Crosman/Revelation 760 PumpMaster (Vintage 1967)
Powerline 1000S .177 (semi-tuned by me)
Benjamin Super Streak .177/.22 (semi-tuned by me)
Benjamin Trail NP XL1500 (bone stock)
Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 (project gun)
TF89 .22 (tuned by Gene)
Winchester 1000WS .177 (semi-tuned by muwah)
QB57 (l

Offline ezman604

RE: carbon fiber tank storage
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 06:06:20 AM »

Sorry...almost forgot.

WELCOME to GTA Forums. Glad you joined us and we're looking forward to seeing and hearing about your airgun adventures!!!!

Post often and post pictures.

Happy Shooting!!!!

Dave

TF89 .22 (tuned by Gene)
QB57 (l

Offline redtank

• GTA Donations
Re: carbon fiber tank storage
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 08:12:09 AM »
Dave,
Thanks for the info on tanks and heat. I had it filled a few days ago and it did get slightly warm, but not hot. Since it was filled at a dive shop, they could only put 3,000psi in is, when I get home to fill the gun, there was only 180 bar (2,611 psi) available, so something went wrong. They didn't like that idea of filling the CF tank and said it was dangerous and I should stick to aluminum tanks.....everything I read says different, and this tank is new.
----
Daystate Air Wolf MCT, BSA Supersport, RWS 34 Pro Compact, Remington NPSS, QB-78, Crosman 1377
----

Offline redtank

• GTA Donations
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 08:37:05 AM »
I won't be going back there again, there are others that can do a full fill.
----
----

Offline ezman604

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 08:37:57 AM »
You are absolutely correct. The cf tank is roughly 50% stronger than thesteel counterparts. One of the major reasons FOR cf tanks was to get away from the possibilities of injury from failed tanks. They must have filled it too quickly for the pressure to change after it cooled and settled.
TF89 .22 (tuned by Gene)
QB57 (l