Author Topic: Falcon Hunter Lose of Power  (Read 6499 times)

Offline Lindros88

• GTA Donations
    • http://
Falcon Hunter Lose of Power
« on: June 05, 2010, 04:30:20 AM »
I have had a sneaky suspicion that the gun is not shooting as hard as it once was so I ran a handful of pellets through the chrony yesterday and unfortunately I was right.  Cphp's which once ran in the 940's fps is hitting 800.  Crow's that were once hitting high 790's low 800's is now only shooting 600.  As well the cocking effort is no where near what is use to be.  I am guessing a broken spring??  It is not just normal wear and tear is it?  The gun has at least 5000 shoots through it.  I have no tuning experience and from what i read this gun is not that user friendly to take apart... So,   anyone what do you think my first move should be?

cheers,

Edward

Offline daveshoot

RE: Falcon Hunter Lose of Power
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 05:37:28 AM »

That gun is not that hard to take apart, except for the trigger assembly. Actually, even the trigger is not hard to take apart... it's putting it back together that will cause some bad words.

You will Definitely want a spring compressor of some kind. It is a hellacious spring.

The older versions have reverse-thread (left handed) stock screws, so don't tighten them down by mistake! The oneat the trigger guardand the other screws are all normal.

I would have suspected the seal, until you mentioned reduced cocking effort. Mine was chewed to death when it was new. Plan on finding a replacement for that too, as long as you are going to open it. In fact, a torn seal would cause slam, which in turn could have damaged the spring over time?

Really except for the sheer size and strength of components it was a pretty straightforward disassembly. I am not sure about parts availability for the spring and seal. I suppose a gas ram is another option, since they are available for that gun.

Steroid Sheridan rocker, Daisy 990, SS1000, B26-2, QB-57, Crosman 150 (TW), Crosman 1377 x 2,  RWS5G, MP513, IZH53, RWS9N/Cometa, MP661k Drozd, Walther Falcon Hunter, RWS 34 Panther, XS-B3-1, Cummins B3s, RWS94 Cometa x 2, RWS48, Beeman R7, Daisy Avanti 853, RWS92 Cometa 220, Beeman P3, IZH-46M x 2, Daisy Avanti 747, Diana 24, B5-10, BSA Lightning .22, Crosman Marauder #39 .22, Crosman 1322 Phase 1, Diana Model 20, HW70, Shin Sung Dragon Slayer .50, Haenel Model 26, Slavia 620, HW45/.177

Offline Lindros88

• GTA Donations
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 06:36:36 AM »
This may seem stupid to ask however, is the spring compressor necessary for taking apart and putting back together or just putting the new spring in?  Thx

Offline rocker1

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 07:45:17 AM »
Yes you need to use a spring compressor they are not hard to make and you could hurt yourself if you don't use one.Have a look in the gta library. thanks david
XL1500177  XL1100 22 CROSSMAN PHANTOM 177 REMINGTON SUMMIT22 CROSSMAN STORM 177 BENJAMINE 392P 22 RWS MODEL 45 177 CROSSMAN 1377 CROSSMAN TITAN 22 AND A B-3 CHING CHANGE

Offline Lindros88

• GTA Donations
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 08:09:39 AM »
Thanks very much for the quick replies so far... as it turns out i do not need a compressor to remove the now conclusively verified, broken spring.  One single coil from the top, which  guess explains why i only lost 100-200 fps.  I am going to need a lot of help getting that trigger back together,r but one problem at a time.  Firstly, should i go with a ram system over a replacement spring?  For those that are wondering how i got the spring out... I knocked out the main locking pin that holds the end cap and thus the spring in the channel with a small screwdriver pick.  So all tension was transferred onto the pick when the pin was fell out, except when i tested how much tension was actually on the pick i learned that there was next to none so i simply pulled out my pick and then spring and all the other parts that i can't name :>.  I took photos and will load them later on and perhaps you or someone else can help me learn the names. But so i am clear, are you certain that i will need a compressor for the reinstall?

Offline daveshoot

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 09:19:28 AM »

For safety's sake I gotta say yes... you might be able to manhandle it, but the cost of failure can be really painful and damaging. You can use a woodworking clamp in a pinch.

How did the seal look? Do they still have the odd half-cut washer behind the spring? Never understood that...

I don't have a rammed version so can't comment on that, except that I wouldn't want to invest that much more in a Hatsan.

While it's apart, check the plastic stock around the screw holes and look for hairline cracks. They were kind of notorious for that.

I had a post somewhere a while ago with quite a few pictures and I still have them on a hard drive somewhere if you get in a bind. Some other guys have also posted parts pics and they can be helpful if you don't quite remember what went where.

Steroid Sheridan rocker, Daisy 990, SS1000, B26-2, QB-57, Crosman 150 (TW), Crosman 1377 x 2,  RWS5G, MP513, IZH53, RWS9N/Cometa, MP661k Drozd, Walther Falcon Hunter, RWS 34 Panther, XS-B3-1, Cummins B3s, RWS94 Cometa x 2, RWS48, Beeman R7, Daisy Avanti 853, RWS92 Cometa 220, Beeman P3, IZH-46M x 2, Daisy Avanti 747, Diana 24, B5-10, BSA Lightning .22, Crosman Marauder #39 .22, Crosman 1322 Phase 1, Diana Model 20, HW70, Shin Sung Dragon Slayer .50, Haenel Model 26, Slavia 620, HW45/.177

Offline longislandhunter

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 10:05:58 AM »
Take Daves advice and please use a spring compressor to put the rifle back together......   you can get seriously injured and it's just not worth taking the chance.....

Jeff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

Offline Lindros88

• GTA Donations
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 04:44:09 AM »
Okay no worries, I will make a compressor of some sort once I have a replacement spring.  I hear you Dave, with regards to not wanting to spend any more on this gun.  I like it, I like the power, and the accuracy but that is about as far as it goes.  Trigger is still terrible, a while ago I added a plastic washer to stop most of the side to side motion and I filed the plastic trigger into a more comfortable shape but it still takes way too much effort to actually release the sear and the gun is pretty heavy and noisy even with the stock filed with pink insulation.  The screw hole towards the holds the back of the trigger guard is cracked, i complained about this and umerex told me all of the stocks are cracked in this place but it doesn't impact the guns shooting ability...i gave them an ear full for taking advantage of the customer and for standing behind a product they know to be defective and doing nothing about it except pass the problem onto the customer... they had no reply.  There is still a small disc made of plastic behind the spring i am guessing it helps soften the impact so how?  Anyways, no important yet.  I will keep this thread updated once the part or parts get here.  cheers.