Author Topic: Picked up My New CCW  (Read 2426 times)

Offline ShadowShot

• http://www.wordoftruthassembly.com
Picked up My New CCW
« on: June 08, 2010, 06:31:34 PM »

I have been looking very hard at different concealed carry guns while I have been waiting on my permit to come back. I was going to go with a 9mm due to availability and price of ammo but decided to go with a 380. The price has come down a lot on the ammo so Its not as bad as it was. I am not a man who just likes to shoot at the range and plink. I will shoot it enough to get use to the way it handles and shoots. It's a cc gun so I only have it for the time when you need it. I will stay proficient with it and practice but I wont be blowing off a lot of ammo for the bang of it.

Those of you who know me realize that my shadow is bigger than me, so concealment for everyday carry required a smaller pistol. I will be getting a larger pistol that can be open or concealed carried, but I picked up this 380 to keep in my pocket at all times.

I have been doing a lot of on line research for my prospective CCW and going to shops to hold and checked out the ones I have narrowed my search down to. I tried the Sig P238, the Ruger LCP, the Kel-Tec Pt3at and the Taurus PT738.
The Kel-tec felt a little to small and (cheapish) to me. Im not knocking those who have them, It just didn't do anything for me.
The Sig was a very awesome pistol and wouldn't mind having one. I had to keep in mind that this would be used in those cases where I have to have it now and use it. It is built on the 1911 style which is great, but in a panic situation, I just want to pull point and shoot. That safety could be forgotten quickly and get ya killed. The Kel-tec and Ruger both would be good point and shoot pistols, no safety's to remember. The Rugers looks and feel are good. It looks like a great little gun but again, it just didn't do anything for me in my hand. Once I had the Taurus PT738 in my hand, I knew this was the one.

The things I liked about the PT738:
Slide lock open on the last shot. It has the lock out built into it, If I need it. It offer's everything the other pistols offered and came with two mags in the box. I have to get use to shooting a little pistola but I like her. I put around 40 shots through her today without a single problem. I let the wife fires it a few times to get her use to it and she likes it also.

All around, the Taurus PT 738 is a winner in my book. Here are a few specs on this little subcompact compared to the P3at and the LCP

Kel-Tec P3ATRuger LCPTaurus 738
Weight8.3 Oz9.42 Oz9.9 Oz
Frame Width0.798"0.790"0.775”
Barrel Length2.745"2.796"2.830”
Slide Width0.748"0.741"0.778"
Overall Length5.14"5.172"5.195”
Overall Height3.576"3.612"3.625”
Cartridge Capacity6+16+16+1

Her she is.

2010 Kills

12 Tree Rats
36 Grackles
47 Cow Birds
4 Starlings
2 Crows
1 Ground Hog

Offline jay morgan

• http://
Re: Picked up My New CCW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 07:03:05 PM »
I'm glad ya choose you a gun that fit's your hand's,most important thing for personal defense.Now you just make sure you use the best ammo the gun like's & get you a top of the line holster, an remember pocket's are dirty & sweaty keep her clean & she will keep you SAFE!!!OH extra loaded mag. alway's!!!!
N.R.A.(endowment),G.O.A.(life), N.R.A. trainer for,c.c.w.,all firearms &reloading /\" NO FREEMAN SHALL EVER BE DEBARRED THE USE OF ARM\'S\"(Thomas Jefferson)

Offline North Pack

Re: Picked up My New CCW
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 12:56:38 PM »
Good choice, - most folks seem to think you need a "hand held cannon" to be effective, you don't. Best of luck, ...

Offline leftcoast1

RE: Picked up My New CCW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 08:51:29 AM »
Great gun and good choice. Shot one a couple months ago and put 150 down range with no failures of any kind. Even in the FLA heat I still carry a hand cannon as NorthPack put it lol. She will serve you well!!!! :-)
Jason
A couple of Springers nothin to get excited about.