Author Topic: Whisper tune  (Read 5493 times)

Offline PhantomF4E

• GTA Donations
    • http://
Whisper tune
« on: June 15, 2010, 02:58:24 PM »
Well I finally broke down and tried it. Thanks to all you engineers out there. Had quite a few rifles in my rack to try TX200, 34 RWS, Whisper, Diana 35, QB-57. The Whisper got elected because it is my go to backyard gun. The other reason was the flippin twang coming from that gun. I swear the boys and girls up there in Nashville could of used this thing in a country song or two....... Well a couple of days past, the Maccari package arrived A 3650, lube and seals. Cudo's to Jim, great product, great service. He missed a double order I placed for the gamo/TX seal combo. And the next day he had the missed set of seals in the mail.
   I built the spring compresser with your help. Polished and crosshatched the cylinder with your help .Polished up the spring and guides with your help. Put that seal on the piston with your help. Lubed the gun with the tiny bit Macarri magic, and your help. Polished the trigger assembly and tweaked Charlie's trigger a bit.
  Let me tell ya something y'all. This Whisper isn't a Gamo anymore. It's neck and neck with my TX. And minus about one half an inch of spinal compression carrying it, compared to the TX. Yes, I have carried that beast afield. Feels like a garand slung over my shoulder. But I still love my TX.
 The velocity dropped to between 890 and 900 fps with cpl's (weighed: used the 7.9g exactly) Fired off about 50 shots to break it all in. Should have been more, but just for grins I put the Chrony in the way . I had 3 strings of 10 shots with a 3 fps deviation. Never got a std deviation of more than 3.5 in a hundred more shots. It is stable, and singing like Pavarotti, instead of Hank Sr. Not that I don't love me some Hank now and then. But not in my airguns... That and it's not even broke in yet. So taking the humble route, you all played a role in building me a light weight,quiet little "thunker" instead of a Hank special. It was a pretty accurate piece to begin with. But, with this consistency I can't wait to put it to the cross hair test.
   The original spring I took out was still in pretty good shape after about 10,000 rounds. But you could se the seal was doomed from the git go with two approx 5mm slices it got  when they shoved the seal past the slots that had the edge of a ginsu knife on them. Actually cut my self trying to smooth them down a bit.
  I would say they could have done all this at the factory and turned out something worthy of comment. But, they would take all the fun away from the weekend tinkerers.
 By the way for all you folks out there who don't have the time or inclination to do this stuff. Send your gun to one of the folks here who offer the service .You will not regret it.
Now I wish I could say all you standard varmints beware, but living in the little latitudes I have Tokay Gecko's cranking out 70 decibel  songs at 2am.One pound  Buffo toads eating my cat and dog food. Iguanas crappin all over the place. But yes still the occasional collared doves and Starlings(who still wear flak jackets over my property). Since I'm shooting sub-sonic you actually may hear the sound first... *evil grin*...

Offline fisherdude

Re: Whisper tune
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 04:59:51 PM »
What a difference a tune makes!  Doesn't it make you just want to shoot it more?  My CFX twanged so much I had quit shooting it.  But I tore it down, polished out all the burrs, replaced the O rings and took the slop out of the top hat/guide and it now shoots like a dream - so i know how it feels to get that Gamo twang out.  I'm like you, why can't they do that at the factory?  It shouldn't be that costly to polish our the burrs
NRA Life Member

Offline arbantelope

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 05:08:09 PM »
Awesome job on that Whisper. Keep us posted on the cross-hair activities.
Alan - NorCal

Offline Schmidty25

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 06:42:52 PM »
glad to hear your happy with the tune.  and everything turned out ok.
Crossman G1 Extreme
Crossman Powermaster model 66
Crossman 1377C-R
Ruger AirHawk