Author Topic: hunting rabbits "sometimes"  (Read 3908 times)

hunting rabbits "sometimes"
« on: July 01, 2006, 07:24:31 PM »
You know, as much as I like hunting with my air rifles, there are times when I just can't do it. At our airgun range, we have lot's of rabbits. Cotton tails and jack rabbits. We have rabbits that will come right up to us within 12 inches and just sit by us. It's the coolest thing. It's times like that where you overlook the pests and varmints and see the awesomeness of nature and the beauty of it. So, all rabbit's, etc. are off limits in our airgun range. We actually started feeding them since they were getting so close without being scared and consider them as mascots. We even have some big mule deer at our range too.
Just thought I'd share this after reading Russ's post down further about nature....

Offline longislandhunter

• http://
RE: hunting rabbits "sometimes"
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 05:21:25 AM »
Good rule !  I couldn't bring myself to shoot one of those rabbits either, I don't see how anyone could.  I have a couple of rabbits in my yard that are like that. 2 big ones and a couple of little bitty ones. They just sit there munching away on grass and let you walk right past them without even flinching.  Cute little things.  I get alot of enjoyment sitting on my deck in the late afternoon and watching them sit on the lawn and hang out.
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

Re: hunting rabbits "sometimes"
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 08:11:13 AM »
My personal rule is I don't hunt non pests, even if it is an animal considered a pest by some but isn't harming me or my property.

I have tons of rabbits but I don't take shots at them. All they do is eat the clover and grass on a the lawn.

Groundhogs are another matter -- they're on the list =D

I also have a nutria somewhere back by the pond I have here and if he ever pops his head up when I'm in range he's in trouble.

Offline PBJ

• http://
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 04:41:39 PM »
--I have read the California hunting rules several times and still cannot figure out if you can shoot dove and quail with an air gun. I feed the quail and would never shoot them but the dove are like giant starlings around here, they don't even have the courtesy to move to Mexico in the winter. I can walk five minutes and be out of my feeding area by the hunting regs and the dove are like flys on bacon grease. If anyone has more info on this I would appreciate a post.
    -- If anyone is up to organizing a varmint hunt not too far from Southern California, I would love to go along. I also shoot 22 rim fires, 223, and 7 MM TCU. My small Anschutz is not much louder than an air rifle with 22 shots in the longrifle case. We should be able to start up close with the air guns and work up to the bigger guns as the critters get farther out.
Bob Jarrard (PBJ)
Bob Jarrard (PBJ)
2 .177 Gamo 440\'s, .177 Gamo CFX, 2 .22 Gamo CFX\'s .177 AR2078A .177 Mendoza/Crossman. CDT tune/trigger on the 440\'s/.177 CFX & CDT trigger on one .22 CFX.

Re: hunting rabbits "sometimes"
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 08:05:55 AM »
knowing california, if you think it's possible it won't be legal, it probably isn't--unless it's crossing the border or sleeping on a park bench in santa monica...

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 05:29:51 PM »
As has been said in the past, if we could experience the thrill of the hunt without requiring a kill... well you know.
I commend you on your choice here. Part of the responsibility of being a hunter is knowing when it is appropriate to take a life and understanding the value of that life.
Something you seem to grasp very well.

Enjoy your little friends and maybe get some pictures if you get the chance.
Russ S.