Author Topic: Had a chance to work on a Browning 800 Mag today.  (Read 4439 times)

Offline SDale

• http://
Had a chance to work on a Browning 800 Mag today.
« on: June 20, 2010, 07:30:31 PM »
Tuned my friends Browning 800 Mag in .22 today. He got it from Cabela's about 3 weeks ago and complained that it was pretty slow shooting and hard to cock. So he asked me if there was anything I could do with it. So I tuned it today.

This has got to be one of the NICEST guns internally that I've ever taken apart!!!  Things were nice and tight. It's got a 3 lever type trigger that crisp and light as all get out. No burrs or sharp edges to speak of and a really nice and fine hone from the factory. The only problems I had was getting the main pin out of rear spring guide and the piston out of the main tube. The rear plug is all 1 piece and it's angled. So it wants to ride up and out of my spring compressor. I had to cut up and old deep well socket to make an adaptor. Then the piston... It was so tight that I had to stick an aluminum welding rod through the transfer port to tap it out of the tube. The seal was waaaaay over sized. No wonder it was so hard to cock.

All I did was polish a few pieces parts, dress the spring ends, size the seal to the chamber and lube her up. Afterwards it was loads easier to cock. Shot smoother with a faster lock time. The spring mounted action is slick too! Drops the percieved recoil in half.

The battery in my chrony is dead and I don't have another one on hand. But hearing the pellet whack the fence post just outside my garage door, I can tell it picked up some power. Most likely from having the seal sized down to the proper diameter.

I think I'm going to have to get me one of these pistols! It's accurate and hard hitting! It might be a good carbine candidate hehe