Author Topic: 2nd Look: Leaper 3-12x44 compact...  (Read 3861 times)

Offline daved

• http://
2nd Look: Leaper 3-12x44 compact...
« on: May 13, 2007, 10:01:46 AM »
For reasons even I can't explain ;-), I decided to pull this brand new warranty replacement scope out of the box and give it another try.  I'm glad I did.  Am I going to keep it on my rifle?  No, I still feel that the Nikko Stirling is a superior scope.  Does it still have a problem?  Yes, there's something odd about the optics, unless you hold your head in exactly the right spot, the image is distorted, and it gets worse at higher magnification.  But when you do find the sweet spot, it's crystal clear.  I think 2 other things might be at play here, one may be my eyes, they're definitely not what they were 10 years ago, damn it :-(!  The other thing I think would help is a high mount, at least on my rifle.  I think a high mount would give a better head position, and make it easier to find that sweet spot.  Make that 3 things, I'm not dead certain I have the occular adjusted perfectly, either.

Mechanically, this scope is pretty good.  The focus is smooth, with just the right amount of resistance.  W/E turrets are also smooth, and although not as crisp and "clicky" as some I've used, they seem solid and consistant.  Plus, I like the fact that you can zero the scope with your pellet/range of choice, then reset the turrets to zero.  Handy feature, especially if you use different pellets for different purposes.

Okay, I realize it may sound a little stupid to say "Hey, it's a good scope except for the optics!".  After all, it is an optical device.  But I guess that's what I'm saying.  On a 1 to 10 scale just on optics, I'd have to give this a 7.  On that scale, my Nikko Stirling is a 9.5, and the full size Leapers a 10.  I had a Simmons 44 Mag for awhile, 6-20x44, also a 9.5, maybe a 9 because the cross hairs and mil dots were HUGE!  But at $125, nothing else comes close to this thing for size and power.  And maybe that makes it good enough, at least for a back up.

Dave

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
RE: 2nd Look: Leaper 3-12x44 compact...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 11:32:20 AM »
Well Dave, I ordered my Nikko Sterling 4-12 X42 scope last week. Should get it by Tuesday.. Still waiting for my Master Series Simmons 4-12X40 from Optics Planet..

I will be putting the Nikko Scope on my RWS 34 and the Simmons Master Series Air Gun scope on my newest S1K....:) Love dim Simmons Scopes so far and hope I will have the same reaction and pleasure as you did with the new Nikko Sterling Scope..:)

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline daved

• http://
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 12:07:45 PM »
Is that the Airking model, Gene?  I look forward to hearing your opinion of it.  If you end up not liking it, let me know, I'd be interested in one of these.  Later.

Dave

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 12:43:56 PM »
Yes Dave. It is the Gold Crown Airking 4-12X42 Air Rifle Scope
Here is a picture and the features:

Gene

Air gunning is a popular pastime and a growing sport. Target ranges vary greatly and parallax and focusing problems arise when using a riflescope. The AIRKING series features adjustable focus and parallax required for the close range shooting from 5 yards to infinity!

The recoil of the powerful spring air guns is a problem for many riflescopes. The AIRKING range is designed to withstand the constant recoil impacts of these air guns. Additionally each AIRKING is supplied with a rigid one piece mount suitable for 3/8 inch dovetails which removes the risk of mount shift. caused by recoil.

Key Features
Higher grade lenses for clarity - new machinery and lens technology has improved our lens quality.

Improved optical coatings - Gold Crown Scopes feature a specially formulated optical coating that actually reduces the reflection of light away from the lens surface, so more light can travel through to the hunter's eyes providing better vision in the field. Many competitors just use a coloured tint on their lenses!

One piece body - providing additional strength and rigidity that will increase accuracy.

Rubber adjustments - allowing a more precise adjustment in the field of the zoom ring or objective ring.

THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline gercourt

• GTA Donations
Re: 2nd Look: Leaper 3-12x44 compact...
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 01:23:36 PM »
Gene, I think that if your experience with your new N-S is anything like mine you will absolutely love it. I have been using that exact scope for six months on two different guns and loving every minute. It just does everything right. Enjoy it and let us know how you like it.
Gerry