Author Topic: Nikko Stirling 4-12X42 AO Gold Crown Air Rifle Scope  (Read 11648 times)

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Nikko Stirling 4-12X42 AO Gold Crown Air Rifle Scope
« on: May 18, 2007, 07:39:12 AM »
I got the Nikko scope on Tuesday, but did not have a chance to review it untill this morning.. First impression was positive.. The Nikko scope was well packaged. It was completly wrapped in a gold cloth which is the same type of material that most manufactures send for cleaning scope lensed but this was almost like a small towel..:) Then it was in plastic wrap as well..

Anyway I chose my S1K .20 caliber to mount it on.. I shoot this one quiet often and it would stack pellets and clover leafs all day long..:) If I am haveing a good day... hehe..

The mount was ok and very basic. It only has three mounting bolts which were the same size as the Accushot mounts... The screw that mount the scope to the base of the mount are very small.. I was not impressed.. But as long as it holds thats good.. I am used to the Accurshot and BKL mounst which have larger hardware. The scope has the same arrangment as the Leapers Scope with the lens covers.. That was the second thing I did not care for. When I am out hunting, those lens cap covers go in my pockets and they can be very uncomfortable when sittting etc. for me...:) These lens covers were a lemon encondesant plastic.. I think it makes the scope look cheap... And I totally prefer screw on lens covers.. :) Easy to carry.
Ok so after I mounted the scope I set up at 40 yards to see how far I was off. Was hoping for only a couple clicks and would be on target, but that was not the case.. The scope I had on the S1K .20 was a BSA 4-12-40AO and it was on the money.. Anyway after about 20 clicks down and 5 or so clicks to the right it was right on the money.. I sat there and put 15 pellets in and touching the bulls, most of which were single holes.. Could see about 5 holes from where I was at. Thes Nikko Stirling 4-12X42AO Gold Crown Air Rifle Scope is a nice scope.. It rates better than the BSA 4-12X40AO I had on the S1K.. The turrets are easy to turn ,1/4 clicks. They are definetly very nice and not loose at all, but not so tight that you cannot turn them while sighting in on your target..:) The AO has rubber ribs around it which makes it easy to adjust in the field.. The power adjustment also has rubber ribs for easy grip.. One thing that the Nikko Sterling has and I do not see any advantage is the eye piece moves in and out for plus and minus fine tuning.. My eyes are not that fined tuned any more to take advantage of this feature.. hehe. The Nikko Sterling is a bit on the heavy side but not over 15oz. I never did see any specs on the weight.

All and all I think the Nikko Sterling is a good air gun scope. I would not buy another one though..:) But of course this is my own opinion.. . My problem is that I own a couple Simmons ProAir scopes which in my opinion have sharper and clearer lenses plus they are lighter in weight..:)

Below are some pictures of the Nikko Sterling Scope mounte on my S1K .20 and also some pics of one of my Simmons ProAir Airguns scopes mounted on one of my S1K .177's..

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline daved

• http://
RE: Nikko Stirling 4-12X42 AO Gold Crown Air Rifle Scope
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 04:52:07 PM »
So is it a keeper, Gene, or is it just a temp until you can get another Simmons?  I noticed the new Simmons AG scopes are all side wheel focusers instead of the front objective.  Do you have a preference, or is it what ever works?

I was serious earlier, if you'd like to resell the Nikko, let me know.  I've got a B-20 on the way that's going to get the fuzzy Leapers compact for now, but I don't know how long I'll be able to deal with it.  And either way, I'd like to get one of the Airking's.  So keep it in mind.  Later.

Dave

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 09:58:45 PM »
Yep, sound's like you found something that the ol eyeball's can see through buddy. :) Now we just need that scope mounted on your baby laying next to a Monster squirrel hehe. Nice setup Gene. Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 11:54:51 PM »
Dave, it is a keeper...:) It is way better than a few of my other scopes but not as sharp as the Simmons's scopes I have been purchasing lately..  The Nikko is ok Dave, but I would not buy another one knowing that the Simmons Masters Series Airgunpro has a sharper view..:)

Even with my eyes, after mounting the Nikko, I had both S1K's on the bench rest and set the Nikko up exactly the same way as the Simmons ProAir, and I could tell the difference clearly.. Not saying that the Nikko is a bad buy because I have some BSA's and a Leapers that are not as clear as the Nikko..

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin