Author Topic: Stock Reshaping  (Read 4798 times)

Stock Reshaping
« on: July 13, 2007, 08:17:27 PM »
Decided to reshape the Typhoons synthetic stock as I'm still waiting on the bits from the engineers for the ply stock. I then decided to give it a custom paint job. Hope the design meets your approval Ed.

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
RE: Stock Reshaping
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 10:43:16 PM »
Very cool 8) Andre, great job on the camo design and colors . I also like the stock reshaping you've done. We all have alittle camo in us hehe. Again fine job Andre. :) Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline Big_Bill

• http://
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 12:32:07 PM »

Beautiful work Andre,

I guess you were bored again, Andre, you do such great work when you find yourself in that state of mind ! ;^)

Very nice, Very Nice.

Life Member of The United States of America
Life Member of the National Rifle Association
Member Air Guns Addicted Anonymous
SHOOT SAFE ! - SHOOT WELL ! - SHOOT OFTEN !
Always Use A Spring Compressor ! and Buy the GREAT GRT-III & CBR Triggers, cause they are GRRRREAT !

Offline leftcoast1

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 12:33:20 PM »
Very sharp man. Nice camo looks like military M40 sniper rifle colors. Way to go.
Jason
A couple of Springers nothin to get excited about.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 08:39:38 AM »
Big_Bill - 7/17/2007  12:32 PM

Beautiful work Andre,

I guess you were bored again, Andre, you do such great work when you find yourself in that state of mind !  ;^)

Very nice, Very Nice.

This time I wasn't bored. We have a FT competition on the 22nd July and I was hoping to have my other stock ready for it but I'm still waiting on the bits from the engineers. The standard stock is great for  offhand shooting but is a mission to shoot off the knee. Thats why I did this one. Did some FT shooting at one of our other clubs here in NZ and it is a joy to shoot off the knee now.

I was quite happy with the way the paint came out. Not bad for aerosol spraypaint. I bought 6 different colours and just went over and over until I was satisfied. Each colour was added while the previous was still wet. I found they blended into each other better that way.

Offline Rixtrix

Re: Stock Reshaping
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 02:54:38 PM »
Nice work! What did you use to build up the stock? Also what scope is that? Thanks.

Ric G
Daisy Model 25 BB gun, 45 years young and still shooting-    BSA Ultra .177, RFM Muzzlebrake, Bushnell Elite 4200 6x24-40 AO Mildot scope,  SportsMatch high rings)-    Gamo Shadow 1000, GRT-lll trigger, AirGunToyz Muzzle Brake, Centerpoint 4-16x40 AO IR mildot,Accushot Med. One Piece Mount, JM Tarantula spring and seal, polished internals, sleeved guide and tophat,self-tuned with CDT advice, CPL, JSB Exact or Predator pellets

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 07:05:29 PM »
The scope is a Leapers 8-32X56. I used a product available in NZ called Selleys Knead It. I used the steel version. It is an epoxy type putty that you mix through with your fingers and the put it on the surface. Drys hard as steel and then sanded smooth. In the forestock area I used a bit of ply and secured it with screws to the stock using spacers to create the bends. Then I filled the gaps with the Knead It and sanded smooth. Then a few coats of filler primer and sanded again, repeating until it covered all the marks left behind. Then the multiple coats of paint for the finished product. Auto body filler could probably be used to do the filling and shaping but is a lot messier.

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 07:53:49 AM »

Nice job.

I have one question, what is the stock made out of.

OK, I lied, I have two questions. The second being, what did you use (sand paper, grinder, etc.) to carve that material?

Thanks

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 01:22:51 PM »
the trick is to fill only a bit more than needed and then sand smooth to the correct size and shape. If you put too much you end up wasting product and a lot of time sanding. The synthetic stock is made of a plastic type foam. It can be compressed with firm pressure but feels like plastic. It now feels like a timber stock and the gun reacts as if it was in timber.