Author Topic: summer rabbit hunting  (Read 2597 times)

Offline taxonomy

• http://www.gis.net/~anovitt/
summer rabbit hunting
« on: July 12, 2006, 02:49:09 AM »
I am wondering two things about summer rabbit hunting.  A friend of mine who lives in a rural area and has a large garden has asked me to take care of a rabbit problem.  Do people east summer killed rabbits.  Someone suggested to me this wasn't a great idea. Comments appreciated.

Also, I think what I am doing is leagal I've read over Wildlife Abstracts and I am prety sure you can shoot garden pests. It seems there's a lot of people really hunting though. Are things like rabbit and squirrle in season where you are becuse they arn't here.  Just wondering.

Adam
Adam

Springer free since 2009.

Offline longislandhunter

• http://
Re: summer rabbit hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 05:55:41 AM »
I live in NY and rabbit season doesn't open in my county until November 1st, but if I had rabbits destroying my garden I'd pop em.  I'd also eat them without hesitation, just clean them thoroughly and watch for signs of parasites.  If you see that the liver is spotted I would throw that rabbit away, but otherwise summer rabbits are certainly edible.  Sometimes when you skin them you'll find what looks like a large grub under the skin and actually burrowed into the meat, usually around the front and rear legs, this is called a botfly larvae and does not harm the meat at all.  Just cut out the grub, and the surrounding meat, and the remaining rabbit meat is good to eat.  I've only actually found a few of such parasites on rabbits I've cleaned, and while  they certainly are nast looking they really don't hurt the meat.  I"ve eaten summer rabbits in the past and they are just as tasty as the winter variety.  As for the legality of shooting the garden pests, if you are concerned about it simply give whatever state agency has jurisdiction over such things in your state a call and ask them, they'll tell you.  Anyway, if you do shoot some, chow down and enjoy.
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

RE: Kind of a non-answer, sort of........
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 09:21:11 PM »
Here in California, there is currently no closed season on jackrabbits.  Cottontail season starts on July 1, and has done so for as long as I've been a licensed hunter (going on 32 years now).

Whether I will eat a summer rabbit or not kind of depends on where that rabbit lives.  In some areas that I hunt bunnies, I only only hunt those areas in the winter because the summer population has proven to be riddled with parasites.  Where I do hunt summer rabbits, dressing them out in the field usually doesn't reveal anything that would give cause for concern.

I wouldn't one isolated incident with a single bunny from a hunting venue stop me from hunting that venue in the summer months, but if the majority of rabbits taken have "issues," I simply find a new population to hunt, somewhere else.

The other folks pretty much covered what to look for.

I'd certainly put a residential garden bunny in the pot, if shooting it was legal in the first place.

-JP