Author Topic: Hammerli Titan Post Review  (Read 26080 times)

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Hammerli Titan Post Review
« on: July 22, 2007, 11:12:28 AM »

After I finished the major Lube Tune, Trigger Tune, and custom seal retainer for an Apex seal, I had not put more than a few hundred pellets through it, just shooting paper. Was not very impressed with the accuracy. In fact I was starting to worry that may Vince's AR1000 barrel change was gonna come an haunt me..:) I am pretty sure the AR1000 is the same action as the Hammerli Titan with the exception of the stock. The Hammerli Titan does have a very sweet stock with nice wood grain. Friday I mounted the new Simmons Master series Pro Hunter on it with a BKL 4" cantilever mount. After about a couple hundred pellets I was getting concerned because I had gone through ever pellet I owned and could not get any thing close to a 1" group at 40 yards. I had marked to scope and mount so I could tell if they were moving when I put them on, but no apparent movement. I have had great success with the BKL cantilever mounts on my Gamo's and the reason I use them is they are very strong and lite weight. Was getting pretty frustrated and finally gave up for the day. Got up Saturday morning and went out and fiddled with it some more and changed to a BSA 3-12X40AO Mil Dot scope, with a accushot low profile mount. Again I could not keep anything consistent. Ended up shooting allot of paper and went through all my different pellets again one by one...:( ... Now I was really down in the dumps..:( I was starting to think the barrel was the problem and pulled the stock muzzle brake off and looked at the crown and found none.. So I thought that may be the problem, so I got out my dremel and a tapered stone and fixed that. So now I sit back down at my shooting table and started with RWS Superdomes and again the same dang thing. Went in the house and fixed myself a nice dinner as a reward for all the frustration for the last couple days. Did not know what to do next. Sunday morning I woke up at 5:00am and made me a pot of java and headed out to the shop. I sit there drinking my coffee and thinking...:) I only had one scope left that was not in use. It was a Leapers 3-12X50AO Mil Dot that I did not like because it was to big and heavy.. I put it away right after I bought it over a year ago. So I grabbed another accushot mount which was the medium height one and mounted the Leapers scope. Replaced the BSA with the Leapers. It was still to dark to shoot so I started working on a new shroud and brake I wanted to put on the Titan. Ok now it was light enough out and I sit down at my shooting table with a fresh paper target at 20 yards and sighted in. Boy was I surprised... hmmmmm.. I was hitting dead center on the bulls after 5 minutes and just made one big raged hole inside the one inch red dot.... Oh Boy! :) So I got up and grabbed another pre prepared paper target and mounted it on my mud flap target box and move it back to the 40 yard line.. Took my first shot and it was 4" high. After 2 or 3 adjustments I was back on dead center. What a relief...:) So I kept shooting through all my pellets again until 11:30am and finally took a break..:) I do not know what the problem was with the other two scopes or mounts but I am going to get to the bottom of it very soon..:) The Titan shoots as accurate if not a bit better consistent than most of my break barrel Gamo's with the exception of my S1K .20 L/W barrel rifle. It is heavier than I normally like but it makes up for it by the way it shoulders and feels. I am going to give you my opinion of some of the major plus's on the Hammerli Titan that I have noticed. 1. Price is a major factor. In my opinion I got a very nice air rifle for under $140.00 and I have seen them cheaper since I bought mine..:) 2. The true two stage trigger is a dream when tuned and adjusted. One of the nicest stock triggers I have seen so far in an air gun under $300.00. 3. The over all quality of the Hammerli Titan is way above the norm, and even the quality of the action is a bit above the norm. 4. The sites the come on the Hammerli Titan are very nice to adjust. There is no way they will move on you after you set the back site. 5. The barrel lockup is very crisp and tight. They used the ball type detent which in my opinion is a major plus. -------------------- My over all impression of the Hammerli Titan is it is a very comfortable air rifle. It shoots hard and straight. The workmanship is above normal and I would not hesitate to buy another Hammerli Titan in a .22 version if they have them. Here are some pictures again of the fine piece of work...:)

Gene

THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
RE: Hammerli Titan Post Review
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 11:38:16 AM »
Gene and I were chewing the fat over the accuracy of his new baby and as he said it would shoot some nice and then throw some out into left or right field .:0 Well it look's like he's found and solved the problem and she's putting em were he want's now. :) Now look at the scope on her, can you see me now and she look's fantastic Gene. I've also noticed the NEW brake and shroud, Fantastic looking buddy I like it A LOT!. Great review, brake/shroud and I'm glad you got her shootin like she should. She's a sweetheart, Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline PeakChick

• http://
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 12:54:20 PM »
The Titan sure did turn out nice. The wood on yours is very nice. The brake you made for it looks very sharp on that rifle. All in all, a very nice lookin' big springer. I'm glad it ended up being a good shooter for you too.
The current stable, (arsenal, quiver?): BSA Lightning XL .177, BSA Sportsman HV .22, BSA Ultra .177, CZ634 .177, Daystate Harrier X .177, TAU 200 Senior .177, HW 97 .177, HW 50s .177, HW 30 .177, RWS 92 .177, Gamo 126 MC Super, Gamo Big Cat .177, AR2078A, QB78 .177, Quest 1000 .177, Beeman SS650 .177., Beeman P17 .177.

Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it.

Offline Gene_SC

Re: Hammerli Titan Post Review
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 01:11:20 PM »
Thanks Ed and Stephanie.:) It was a great Sunday for me. Like we all know, every springer has its own mind and no matter what you do sometimes to make them better they seem to resist you,,,:) But I won out in the end with the Titan and it turned out to be a very pleasant surprise to say the least..

The barrel shroud and brake are made of all aluminum. I made it in three pieces and there are no lines or breaks to be seen. The muzzle brake has a slight taper to it with three shallow oval holes at the end. The barrel muzzle sits at the very end of brake opening and there is a half inch recess at the tip. Satin black paint divides the back aluminum nipple and the brake..

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline HNT5

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 02:49:49 PM »
I have a question for anyone. Who actually makes these rifles for Hammerli? Are they Spanish (Norica) or Chinese? I have seen some pretty good reviews from people and they've kinda sparked some interest. Cool looking muzzle brake too!
Thanks
Regards
Nathan

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 03:53:31 PM »
Nathan, this Hammerli Titan is a Chinese clone of a couple other air rifles which I think are made in China if that makes sense..:)

I also make custom muzzle brakes and barrel shrouds...:)

Example: AR1000, SS1000

Gene

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline rkr

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 06:36:48 PM »
It's just the same rifle as AR1000 made by industry brand. Internals, stock and everything else seem to be the same.

Cheers, Riku
If some is good and more is better - then too much is just right.
FWB-300SU, Drozd Blackbird, Gamo Hunter Sport, AR 1000, Crosman Nightstalker, ZC-4, Webley Tempest ...

Offline Big_Bill

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 01:18:30 PM »

Your a Good Man Gene !

Boy, I think I would have rapped it around something, I'm not THAT patient.

But it all paid off in the end. Do you think it was the barrel not being crowned, or the scope ?????

P.S.: I love that muzzle break, and the shroud is a real looker too !!!

Life Member of The United States of America
Life Member of the National Rifle Association
Member Air Guns Addicted Anonymous
SHOOT SAFE ! - SHOOT WELL ! - SHOOT OFTEN !
Always Use A Spring Compressor ! and Buy the GREAT GRT-III & CBR Triggers, cause they are GRRRREAT !

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 06:03:45 PM »
Gene, seeing what you have done makes mine look real plain.  I admire your patience.  After your help, I felt confident enough to rework the trigger, tune and lube.  It is much better.  I really like the shroud and brake you have made for the rifle, they look great.

I was out with mine today using the scope that came with it.  Shooting RWS super domes I started at 70' and was getting a good group at 1" high and 1" right.   Adjusted the scope and suddenly got a lot of flyers.  I reset the scope to original settings and it tamed down.  After about 100 pellets and playing with it I got it on target and was getting a 2" group.  I've noticed that it likes the Crow Magnum and Super dome pellets and both shoot very similar.  I get more flyers with other pellets.

Your analysis is really spot on and my experience with the Titan is similar to what you have detailed.  Thank you for the hard work, it really helps a newbie like me.

Offline Gene_SC

Re: Hammerli Titan Post Review
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 11:30:04 PM »

Hey Brody, thanks for your kind words. Well it just goes to show you that you do not have to buy a $400.00 air rifle to get $400.00 accuracy and enjoyment out of it. I do get allot of pleasure in tuning and making little bling blings for these air rifles of mine as well..:) Glad to hear that yours is coming along great as well, and I am glad that this may have helped you with your Titan. After all the GTA is a place for all of us to learn and enjoy our hobby/sport to the fullest. Wish you the best of luck.

Gene

http://www.airguntoys.com/" />

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline vinceb

Chinese CLONES of Spanish Norica's...
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 02:19:35 PM »
Not "copies" or "patterned after". Real clones, and (with the possible exception of barrel QC) VERY nice shooters.

Offline Silo

• http://www.the850store.com
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 03:10:45 PM »

Very nice review Gene.. and nice pic's as well.
That is a sweet looking rifle.
I have had my share of Scope / mount woes with my RWS350. So I feel your pain. :)

- Roald.

I only eat things that had parents.
- Roald.

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 06:33:53 AM »
i am new to the sport i just bought a titan want kind of mount do use to keep the scope from moving?

Offline longislandhunter

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 01:16:38 PM »
I don't own that rifle but an Accushot 1 piece mount should do the trick.  I have that mount on most of my springers, a couple of them magnum springers, and they've never moved at all.  Just make sure all the metal surfaces, gun and mount, are squeeky clean and use some Blue loc-tite and let it dry and cure for 24 hours before using the gun.  

Look forward to your future posts and welcome to the forum.   :)

Jeff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 04:55:44 PM »
thanks longislandhunter for the info. who makes the accshot mount?