Author Topic: On the theme of fishing - what is the weirdest thing you ever hooked while fishing?  (Read 1949 times)

Maybe Bob and Gene will have some tales for this thread - lol.

About ten years ago, a friend and I were out along the banks just past the spillover at a nearby wier. The water is fairly fast moving and is noted for some beautiful large and smallmouth bass, rock bass, crappy, and perch. All of a sudden my rod is almost ripped right out of my hand - I really had to fight to hang on to it. We figured I had latched onto a monster pike or maybe even a muskie!! After the best part of an hour, I had it within 50 ft of shore, when something black kinda rolled over in the water - now we started thinking that I had snagged a dead body!!!  When the line was within about 10-15 ft of shore, my friend kicked off his shoes and jumped into the water to help me "land" this hulk. When we realized what it was, we both had the greatest laugh - we had just landed an old guitar amplifier !!!!! It was quite heavy until the water drained out of the enclosed speaker area. Once it was more or less "dry" it weighed a good 30 pounds. When we got home, we called our wives and a couple neighbours over to see the "30 pounder" we had caught.You can imagine the howls of laughter when everyone saw this big old guitar amp! This is no BS - it actually happened.

So what was your weirdest catch of the day?

Offline CharlieDaTuna

• http://www.charliedatuna.com
I got a fish once... but it was a long time ago :D
Bob  aka:  CharlieDaTuna
Co-founder of the GTA

HOME OF THE GRT-III TRIGGER

Home of the NPSS-NP Triggers:  
            http://charliedatuna.com/NPSS.htm

E-Mail:  CDT22@Verizon.net

Benji-342 .177 /Brazilian Winchester 800 .22 /Gamo Cadet .177 /Gamo Shadowmatic .177 /Gamo 440 .22 /Gamo Royal .22 /Gamo Whisper .177 /Gamo SK-1 .20 /B-20 .177 /TF-99 .177 /QB-78 .177 /QB-78t .22 /QB-78-(CD) .22 /QB-78-(CJ) .22/QB-78D .22 /Crosman 2240 .22 /Cros 150 .177 /Crosman Back Packer .22 ?Crosman AS 2250 .22 /Daisy Mod 93 .177 /Marksman 2004 .177 /GS 35 .177 /FWB-124 .177 /Custom Marauder .22 /Custom Disco .177

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
I've reeled in my fair share of other peoples old abandoned tackle, but one time when I was about 12 years old I caught this teeny tiny little bluegill.....by the eye when reeling in fast.  Just snagged him.  So I put the little fella back in the water.  About 5 minutes later I caught another little fish, reeled it in, too small to keep....noticed this little cut, right around his eyeball....dumb fish, put it back in the water.  20 minutes roll by, catch another little fish.  Reel him in, too small to keep, cut above eyeball, and a little puncture in his lower lip.  I guess this guy really wanted to go home with me.  I was so frustrated, and 12 years old, so I wound up my best baseball pitch and tossed him as far out into the lake as I possibly could and went home.  Mom, "why are you home already, thought you were gonna go fishing?", me,"It's a baaaad day for fishing Mom, just a bad day".  If I was a superstitious man I would have to say that this was an omen of sorts.  The fishing pretty much sucked for the rest of the summer that year, and I just wanted to go home after that one day.  Funny thing, a month or so ago I took my two young sons fishing at a local pond, the first thing my younger son did was hook a fish in the side while reeling in.  I spared them the heartache and took them home shortly after that one and only catch for the day:)

Dan
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

Snagged a cotton mouth once when Bass fishing, taste alot like chicken.

Well, I'd have to say that the pair of condoms I hooked while fly fishing along Long Beach's Belmont Shore would have to rate as pretty wierd.

I walked across the beach toward a trash can with my "prizes" dangling off the hook point of my Clouser Minnow, and a joggin' gal passing by stopped and said, "What kind of fish is that?"

I said,"rubberlip muffperch."

"Odd, but it looks like a pair of used prophylactics from here."

Yeah, the whole incident was bizzare.  At the trashcan, I clipped the leader above the Clouser and dropped the fly and catch into the bin.

I decided to fish on the other side of the peninsula.  On the first cast there, I hooked up with a "Ziplock" bag containing hypodermic syringes.

Later, I caught a halibut big enough to kill and keep, but some of my previous catches pretty much put me off of seafood for a while, so I let the fish go.

-JP

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
Fly fishing on the cowlitze river in WA. state with my couson. Going through the motions of fly fishing when I thought I snagged some brush behind me. Not looking back I gave a quick jerk. The screames echoed down the river I hooked my couson right through the ear lobe. I didnt charge him for the pearcing and that black ant fly looked good hanging there :o
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
LOL Shadow, dat was a good one... hehe

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin