Author Topic: To smart for its own good  (Read 2167 times)

To smart for its own good
« on: July 22, 2006, 03:24:38 PM »
I’ve been waiting all spring and half of summer for my first airgun squirrel season. The darn nutters have been ripping up my yard looking for buried treasure (acorns). Since they're not in season I try in vain to keep them at bay. I’m not one to shoot “game” out of season unless it becomes a pest.  Last week I returned from a business trip to find the bird feeder destroyed, I figured a small bear got hungry and wanted a snack. I didn’t suspect a squirrel, because I’ve watched them try over and over to get to the feeder without success.  Well you can imagine my surprise when I walk out of the house yesterday afternoon to see a Tree Rat hanging onto the new feeder (see pic).

THAT’S IT!!!  Into the house I go, oh which gun should get to do the job hmmm????.............The Gamo S1K has been sighted at 20yards and it’s about that distance from the end of the front porch to the feeder (24yards to be exact).
Now I’m not worry that this tree rat will run off, for you see this is an uninterrupted free lunch for the bugger.
 Ok the squirrel is hanging onto the feed with its back facing me; I place the crosshairs between its ears. This tree rat has got its snout buried so deep in the feeder it’s like shooting a field target. Click goes the trigger and the whole chain reaction starts…the main spring is released…the piston is on its way… forcing air out of the compression chamber…The RWS Superdome waits patiently in the barrel to feel the rush of the air…there it is, the pellet picks up speed to 913 fps as it leaves the muzzle.
Without a sound the squirrel falls silently to the ground………………..
A little nerve twitch from its right rear leg, then nothing……………….
I walk over to inspect the red-handed thief, laying completely on its back spread eagle. I turn it over to inspect the shot placement….well you can see by the pic bellow. I hope I don’t have to take other pest before the season begins.
Happy shooting
Bart

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: To smart for its own good
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 10:48:35 PM »
Hey Bart, that lil bugger is a fat one. Great details from start to end on the demise of the tree rat. Also nice shot placement.  Who says a sub $200.00 air rifle can't shoot as good as a $400.00 air rifle. From  0 to 35 or so yards those S1K's are fantastic.

Great shootin

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Re: To smart for its own good
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 12:30:36 AM »
I like my "POS" S1k (LOL) It's a pretty good gun. All it needs now is a trigger.
I liked JPs write up about the S1K on the Gamo Gate forum.
And by the way that squirrel is average size gray squirrel I've seen bigger ones.
Bart