Author Topic: Black Shadow 22 takes another woodchuck  (Read 1687 times)

Offline longislandhunter

• http://
Black Shadow 22 takes another woodchuck
« on: July 24, 2006, 12:16:19 PM »
Had nothing to do this afternoon so decided to take a ride over to the duck farm that I shoot at and see if I could pop some starlings and woodchucks.  Shot a couple of starlings, but one of the other guys was there with a 410 shotgun making quite a bit of noise so the birds wouldn't stay in one place long enough to make starling hunting worthwile so I decided to go looking for some woodchucks.  Was using my Black Shadow Supreme .22 and RWS Super HP's.   I was walking towards a large mullberry tree at the far end of the farm hoping to sneak up on one of the woodchucks that live around the tree when I saw a large chuck, but instead of being on the ground the chuck was about 15 up in the tree and laying out on a large branch stuffing mullberry tree leaves into it's mouth and chomping away.  I know that chucks can climb but this is the first time I"ve seen one that high in a tree.  It caught me by surprise but I managed to sneak within 20 yards without the chuck noticing me (he was to busy stuffing his face with tree leaves).  I put the crosshairs in between his eye and ear, pulled the trigger and heard the RWS pellet strike home.  The chuck rolled off the branch and dropped to the ground stone cold dead.  This was an adult woodchuck, definately the biggest one I've shot with the Black Shadow 22.  I had taken some really good pics of the kill, but I had a glitch in my photo software and when I tried to download them from the camera onto the pc they got deleted. Anyway, was a good hunt and a very memorable shot. May get up early and head back tomorrow  morning for some more shooting.
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"