Author Topic: Hi (& QB78 Bulking !)  (Read 4846 times)

Hi (& QB78 Bulking !)
« on: October 05, 2007, 03:58:21 AM »
Just found your forum today so Hi from UK (Near Windsor area actually but sadly the Queen has NEVER invited me round for Tea - Tsssk !!)

Have owned my XS78 Deluxe for couple of months now and looking to try bulk Co2 (have made adaptor to link it to UK Sodastream Canister/bottles to try at first as i can get refills very local)

The final item i need is the bulk - fill adaptor for the powerlets tube & for some reason they are "as rare as Rocking Horse Poo" here in UK. Trying one source in US so hope to obtain soon.

Question is how will it perform ? Anyone who can enlighten me on running off larger Co2 bottle i would love to know - no idea how long it will "run" before drop off in pressure but final experimenting will show i guess (once i've got that damn adaptor of course !!)

Cheers for now

Stu

Offline ribbonstone

• http://
RE: Hi (& QB78 Bulking !) (Dial-up warning...several pictures)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 01:33:11 PM »
1. Running the rifle  with a remote line to a big bottle is undoubtably the cheapest...but really limits mobility.  the one below is running on a 20oz. bottle through a remote line (although you could use other size bottles, the "rest" it is being shot from was made to hold a 20oz.)...no problems shooting from a bench, but wandering the woods with that bottle and line isn't a lot of fun.

2. Running the rifle from an attanced larger tank is nearly as good, but does add weight and requires  specailized adaptors for the QB78.  the one below is a QB79 Iat least in US marketing) and was made to run on attached paintball tanks. Will run on the little 3 1/2oz. tank show here, or a 9 oz. tank.  Larger tanks are too big in diameter to fit.

Bulk filling needs an bulk fill end cap...has a quick detach fitting and what is basicly a one-way valve: gas can go in, but not escape back out.  Filled from a larger bottle, the typical QB tube will hold about 2oz. of CO2 (although I'd limit it to 1 1/4 to 1 1/2oz. on warm days)....not wise to completely fill the tube with liquid co2, something in the 70% full range would be a real max...and something closer to 60% of the volume filled in warmish weather.  Not as easy as it sounds, but you'll learn the tricks soon enough.  Couldn't find an individual picture of the QB78, but the one below is set up for bulk fill.

While I know the UK has paintballers...so i assume they have paintball shops that fill paintball co2 bottles. These bottles (used in #1 and #2 above) are the most common way to bulk fill.  I'll post directions to a tutorial bulk-fill site if you ae interrested...as mentioned, it's a little more complicated than it seems (but not difficult).

-------
CO2 consumption has stayed about the same as when using the 12gr. cartridges.  If your rilfe got 40 good shots from two cartridges (which is low...that would be about right for one tuned to about 600fps)...that would be 40shots for 24gr....or about .6gr. per shot. That's going to be close to your consumption no matter what size the tank.  So figure 28gr. per ounce, or  about 46-47 shots per ounce.  So a 4oz. bottle should work out to something close to 188shots....and a 20 oz. bottle about 960.

Using US prices, that 20oz. paintball tank (which costs about $4-$5 to fill) gives as many shots as  48 12gr. cartridges ( which at the cheapest, is going to cost $19-$20).

But besides cost, ther rifles have all shot better attached to big tanks than they did with 12gr. cartridges...just a bigger volume/larger heat sink, which keeps shots more consistant.
Robert

RE: Hi (& QB78 Bulking !) (Dial-up warning...several pictures)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 10:43:33 AM »
Thanks for taking the time with your post Ribbonstone - really good to get such informative help & great pics too !

I have made a converter/ adaptor to connect an Sodastream Co2 refill to a paintball hose (like the on e in your 20oz bottle shot) & my Bulk fill adaptor should be here from US soon so cant wait to give it a try.

Much Appreciate yr input Sir !

:emoticon:

Offline ribbonstone

Did a little web-searching
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 01:28:38 PM »
looking at UK paintball sites and on-line stores.  Would have to do a local search for shops that will fill paintball co2 bottles, but the bottle itself would be about  24-25 (haven't a clue where the right sign on this keyboard is for pounds)...that can be shipped to you empty...and a local fill should be something like 2-4 pounds.   IF there is a paintball shop near you, the savings could really mount up quickly.
Robert

RE: Did a little web-searching
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 06:56:53 AM »
Ribbonstone

in yr earlier post you said "Bulk filling needs an bulk fill end cap...has a quick detach fitting and what is basicly a one-way valve: gas can go in, but not escape back out."

Do you mean THE CAP has one way operation ? I got mine today and it sure looks this to be the case when i "stripped" it.

Regards

Stu

Offline ribbonstone

Sorry about the photo quality
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 01:21:42 PM »
Best I could arrange at the moiment.

QB bulk fill valve:

QB bulk fill valve parts (left to right):

Spring housing. Have seen them in black Al. and in steel..this one is in steel)
Spring
Valve seal..this is held forward by the spring, so gas can't escape...pressureized CO2 can enter, but not escape)
Black threaded ring...this screws the valve onto the gun
Brass cap with quick detach nipple  (may not come with the QD nipple, but that's an easy find)

Cheap bulk fill.  Not fair as I already had the on/off from a paintball marker so I don't count that cost...you'd have to buy one.  The silver iitem is a slide check.  When part of it is slid forward, it doesn't vent. When that same part is slid backwards, it vents gas.  Attached directly to the on/off (by way of a short section of threaded tube) so that the least possible amount of co2 is vented each fill.

Simple system.  Attach tank to the on/off-slid check unit.  Attach the QD to the QD nipple.  Hold rifle so that the tank is "up", as if trying to pour the c02 into the gun. Be sure the slider valve is FORWARD.  Turn the on-off to "on" and allow rifle to fill.  Turn the tank off.  Slide the slide check BACK, which will vent the gas in the line.  Detach the QD from the nipple and go shooting.

Now if you had a remote line with a side check, would work just the same...but when you vent, would vent all the gas in that long coiled line.
Robert

RE: Sorry about the photo quality
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 01:20:33 AM »
Hey - no apology neccesary - i can see fine & your posts continue to educate me THANKS !

Actually i did buy a Paintball Hose assembly and your point about "venting" all gas in the line a good one. I might consider adapting something akin to your idea as must be a great "Gas Saver" over time.

Cheers Ribbonstone ! If yr ever in London i will get a Beer ready for ya (or two or three !) Thats if you drink Beer !

Stu

Offline ribbonstone

RE: Sorry about the photo quality
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 02:08:03 AM »
You might find bulking more useful than I....usually just hook it to a coiled remote line and shoot from the tank.  Don't do as much woods prowling as I once did, and for what little I do, the 12gr. cartridges work out best for me.

IF it weren't for beer, there's be no football (of either type)....a deplorable concept.
Robert