Author Topic: CZ Slava 634 Post Review  (Read 6078 times)

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
CZ Slava 634 Post Review
« on: October 11, 2007, 07:48:33 AM »

First I would like to thank CDT for his help with the CZ Super Tune. Called up Bob this morning to see if he was booked for the day with air guns. Just so happened he was in between arrivals..:) So I naturally invited myself over and told him I had bought some candy and wanted him to try it out... Of course that goes fer Fritz as well..:) So I trip on over to Bob's and he did not want to even look at a springer until I took him to breakfast first.. But he let me take the CZ outa me car and put it on the bench in his shop so Fritz could check it out while we were out to breakfast..:) When we got back Fritz had taken the stock off the action and had it ready... hehe Bob just said stand back and let me look at this contraption.. So I went over and sat in a chair and Fritz and me played ball for a while. Finally ol Bob said come here! So I snapped to attention and ran over to his bench...:) He said ok this is how it comes apart. Next thing I know it is in pieces. He looked over all the parts and eyeballed the trigger and seer assembly. He said he had seen this design in a few of the high end air rifles he had worked on in the past. For sure the CZ is a simple but well designed air rifle withexcellent rifling in the barrel. The metal parts are of high quality steel and not punched out in a production machine. The trigger is a direct seer trigger. Out of the direct seer triggered air rifles I had shot this one is on the excellent side as far as pull and braking point. The trigger does have a very simple adjustment which is a simple piece of flat spring steel that attaches to the inner side of trigger housing. It is a unique setup with an adjustment screw that merely adjust tension on the free play side of trigger. But there is room to tweak the lil bugger if you wanted to do this. In my case when we were all done I did not have to tweak it nor adjust it because after Bob and I polished the sear and two trigger parts that was all it took to make a fantastic feeling trigger. Has a great breaking point which is now very predictable. I might mention that the triggerwas not that bad at all before the small modifications. This was done strictly to give me the feel I wanted.

Now with all the parts laying on the bench, I started with the spring which was a lil bitty spring about 8 or 9 inches long. Of course as the articles I have read there was a very nice delrin spring guide. The action/cylinder was very clean and uniform. No rust or pits were noticeable. The piston was very nicely machined with a Teflon ring at the rear of piston used to keep the piston in the cylinder straight. Basically the inside of this CZ was some high quality machine work and design.

The barrel and breach uses a safety lever which is spring loaded that keeps the locking tab seated. It makes for a great lockup. When you cock the CZ you have to pull on the safety which is under the barrel just in front of the breech end of barrel. We took this apart and lubed it well. That is another great innovation which serves two purposes. One it gives the barrel a super positive lockup and second the barrel cannot be cocked or kicked loose before shooting it. Another great point is the CZ can be un cocked by releasing the safety in rear of action and pulling the trigger. I love that option..:)

The barrel, breach and action are of high quality steel with excellent dark blueing. Another great feature is that the barrel and breech attaches to the action with one screw as the privet point. The screw head has notches all around it. The notches are made so that another small screw sets along side it and screws into the action and seats in the grooves on the head of the privet screw. The screw cannot work loose once the lock screw sets and locks the privet screw. There are so many neat features about this air rifle that I hope I do not forget to mention any of them.. hehe

The wood stock is a beach wood and has a very nice grain. It is a simple designed stock but shoulders perfect for me. The front bolts that mount the stock to the action are on the bottom. Bob explained to me that this is a plus because they will not vibrate out as the design with them on the sides of the stock. At the rear of the stock there is a another screw that that holds the rear of stock to action which goes through the trigger housing. It has an aluminum tube inside the stock which keep the pressure off of the wood in order not to distort the wood and can not be over tightened.

We debured everything that was applicable and polished up the seer and trigger parts. Then the spring was squared off at the ends and polished to alleviate any burrs or sharp edges. A new seal was used but the old seal was not bad. Just hadcouple nicks but we replaced it anyway. After CDT was finished with the de-burring he honed the cylinder and re inspected it. Now all the pieces were ready for the different lubes. This being a different air rifle than what I have seen CDT lube tune before, I noticed a different sequence and a couple different variables used in the placement of his standard lubes. Of course he explained why this was and itseemed logical to me.

Now it was time to reassembly the CZ. Everything went together very easy and within 10 minutes I had the stock on it and ready to test fire. First cock after the de burring and lube. hehe It was so gentle and easy to cock. It was nice to cock yesterday but today it was simply a dream..:) We both took a turn at shooting it in CDT's back yard. We both had big smiles on our faces after we each shot it a couple times. No evidence of smoke or even a scent of smoke. Next we laid it up on the chrony.

Using Gamo Hunter Round's we put 10 rounds through it. These are the numbers. 734.5, 735.0, 737.2, 735.9, 738.6,737.9, 743.3, 736.9, 735.5, 736.

Unfortunately we did not do a chrony before we started but I assume there would of not been much difference if any. The deviation as you can see is excellent andsurprised me with a new seal that is not yet seated. I did notice that when we pulled the piston out of the cylinder it was tight and it was tight going back together.

My final opinion is that this is a fantastic piece of work and deserves lots of praise for the simplicity and quality of an air rifle at only $129.99..:) I have not seen any air rifle below $250.00 that can hold a candle to the quality of the CZ 634. Not that there are none out there but I mean that I have had apart or seen.

Would I keep this air rifle?....YOU BETCHA..:)
Would I purchase another CZ built air rifle?...YOU BETCHA.......:)
Would I recommend this to another air gun addict?... YOU BETCHA.......:)
Would I buy another CZ 634?..... GONNA CHECK TO SEE IF THERE ARE ANY LEFT RIGHT AFTER I POST THIS...:)

Once I get all done setting up my targets and stuff I will do a review on the accuracy of the CZ 634 but I am sure I will not be in for no surprises because this thing has got to be an excellent shooter after what I have seen today.

Gene

THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline Big_Bill

• http://
RE: CZ Slava 634 Post Review
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 08:05:06 AM »

Great review Gene,

No one writes a review like you ! There GREAT !!!!!

I was a hoppin that you would have put a string through the crony, and measured the trigger pull before you tuned it, just to show the improvement a Super Tune does..

But I still loved your review Gene, it was great !

Life Member of The United States of America
Life Member of the National Rifle Association
Member Air Guns Addicted Anonymous
SHOOT SAFE ! - SHOOT WELL ! - SHOOT OFTEN !
Always Use A Spring Compressor ! and Buy the GREAT GRT-III & CBR Triggers, cause they are GRRRREAT !

Offline kirby999

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 08:17:39 AM »
Great review on a very nice gun Gene. If we can just get this scope mount figured out we'll have us a shooter for sure. I'm glad to here about what you and Bob found inside . It seems the 634 has some improvements over the 630's and 631's. Too bad CZ has chosen not to continue these in the USA anyway. Might be worth grabbing a another while there still available. Too may guns too little time ( And monies) hehehe. kirby
\" Shooting PCP\'s; I sometimes miss that  unmistakable smell of a springer . \"

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 10:57:28 AM »
Impressive review buddy and it sound's like a high dollar Airgun without the high dollar. :)  I'm thinking this will be a shooter that just get's better with time. Please locate the pic charger and get us some pic's of this sweetheart and tell Fritz fine job on the tune hehe. Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline 3n00n

Did you check trigger pull or cocking effort?
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 12:31:17 AM »
An accurate,light weight bb rifle with that'easy to use' quality always sparks my interest.