Author Topic: Homeowner fatally shoots intruder  (Read 4659 times)

Offline USNCop

• http://
RE: Homeowner fatally shoots intruder
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 06:32:05 AM »
Yep, they were convicted and sentenced to jail.
There were 4 total. 1 in the getaway car nearby, 1 outside as a look out and 2 others entered my Grandmothers back door to commit.
They had planned this 2 weeks earlier but said the dog scared them off.  Their original plan was
to kill everyone in the home with a bow/arrows.  Too bad they didn't bring that to a shotgun fight!
Big Bill asked if I could or would have greased them.  That would be an emphatic YES!
I was deployed after 9/11 and trained by Marines to defend against and/or eliminate terrorists.
Could I get the job done?  Oh yeah....smiling  :) .
Some time in Law Enforcement gives me much familiarity Bill to what you described.
When I was about 10 I was next door at Grandma's when a handyman she hired to do some work was attempting to rob her.  He didn't because she outsmarted him.  I wish I had been 10 years older at the time.  I would have subdued the he!! outta him!  

One thing you didn't mention Bill, if someone knows in advance.  A good light such as a Surefire
can also be used to momentarily blind the intruder and give you an advantage.
QB57 .177, BAM B26 .177, BAM B26 .22

Offline Big_Bill

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 07:29:39 AM »

I asked, if you were there, it never would have happened !

After the fact is an easy decision, but too late. Home Preparedness is having everything ready for an emergency.

If you were there when these two thugs entered, prior to the attack, never knowing what they planed to do, then what would you do ???

I have a Surefire flashlight with the burst hi-intensity burst, it will take out your night vision as well as stun your attacker. It takes 7-14 minutes to fully recover your night vision, if there are more than one attacker, you can be at a disadvantage.

A fellow I trained with could not make a kill shotto take outsentriesor scouts, we were both experts with the M-60 and M-14, but he would flinch when taking his shots, leaving me to finish his job, he would also give the enemy time to fire a warning shot, if I didn't do my job. Even the best can never know what they would do, until it's time to commit.

Life Member of The United States of America
Life Member of the National Rifle Association
Member Air Guns Addicted Anonymous
SHOOT SAFE ! - SHOOT WELL ! - SHOOT OFTEN !
Always Use A Spring Compressor ! and Buy the GREAT GRT-III & CBR Triggers, cause they are GRRRREAT !

Offline USNCop

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 08:34:29 AM »
Sorry Big Bill.  Didn't mean to mislead you.
I didn't disclose everything before as I didn't want to write a novel.
Well, I believe I would have had some prior knowledge as 1 of the intruders was someone we knew from church.  One of the 2 waiting outside was an aquaintance of my younger brother.
My Grandmother's house wasn't selected at random.  My brother made a previous casual statement to his friend about Grandma having a safe in the house.

I fully get what you are saying Bill.  You just can't know how you will react.
I have had the misfortune of being tested more than once.  In the military and before.  That's why I commented like I did.  Some folks have to work harder at looking down the barrel at a human, for others, it's a bit easier.  Some of it may be my personality.
I don't wan't to air out my dirty laundry here.
I'll just say that the last time I saw someone in my sight picture, it happened like a reflex.
I just didn't care whether HE had someone to care for him, I wasn't going home in a box.
I was trained to do business a certain way and I meant business.
I intend to further hone my skills with a former SF/Delta operator with combat experience.

Offline r1derbike

• http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v402/r1derbike/
Re: Homeowner fatally shoots intruder
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 08:50:00 AM »
I've only had to point the muzzle of a loaded pistol at a person once.  Remember it like it was yesterday, although it's been 22 years.  I was working under the dash of my vehicle (intermittent light problem) in an empty truck stop parking area, and heard a Harley pull-up, at later than 1 AM.  Didn't think much of it, until I watched him pick-up a huge truck tire iron, and head my direction with it...not good, I thought.  I was still lying across the door frame under the steering wheel, with my legs outside the car.  I reached for my weapon about the time he appeared at the door with the iron.  He was intermittently gripping it, as if he were getting ready to inflict some major damage, as I quickly cocked the pistol in his presence (he saw it, at that moment) pointed it at him, and told him matter of factly, to drop it, or die.  He did, got back on his motorcycle quickly, and disappeared into the night.  He left so quickly, I didn't get extracted from the car to get his tag number.

I remember having no reservation to do what I had to do.  I was almost calm, about it, until later (few minutes), when the full scope of the incident had time to sink in.  Started shaking, as evidently the adrenaline had kicked into high gear.  I couldn't sleep that night or the next, it upset me so.

I would have no hesitation to protect myself, if the opportunity reared its ugly head again.  None at all.

Charles
Lead Launchers: 30 Year Old Daisy .177 Cal. Model 880 Pumper (BSA 3022SB Red Dot Scope), Gamo CFX .22 Cal. Springer with GRT III Trigger (BSA 4X32 Scope), Gamo CFX .177 Cal. Combo Springer (BSA 2-7X32 AO Scope), Gamo R-77 .177 Cal. CO2 Combat Pistol (Laser Sight), Umarex/Beretta .177 Cal. CX4 Storm CO2 Bullpup (Walther PS-22 Red Dot Scope & Dorcy Night Light), Chinese QB-57 .22 Cal. Takedown Springer (BSA 3022SB Red Dot Scope & Dorcy Night Light),  Chinese Tech-Force S2-1 .177 Cal. Springer Pistol (Boat Anchor...), Chinese Tech-Force Contender Model 89 .22 Cal. Springer (BSA Laser & Tactical Light, CenterPoint 4-16X40 Illum. Ret. Mil. Dot Scope), Crosman 1377 .177 Cal. Pumper Pistol (1399 stock, BSA 3022SB Red Dot Scope), Daisy Powerline 717 .177 Cal. Single-Pump Pistol (Open Sights).

Offline USNCop

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 10:08:23 AM »
Sorry you had to experience that Charles.
Glad you didn't get hurt.

I didn't give my last couple of situations much thought afterwards.  I guess my focus was on other things being Post 9/11 and all.

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 03:42:17 PM »
lUCKLY IN tEXAS THE LAWS ARE TO THE ADVANTADE OF THE HOME OWNER. tHEY ARE LEGUAKLLY ALLOWED TO SHOOT ANYBODY ILLEGALLY ON THEIR PROPERTY AFTER DARK NO EXCEPTIONS.

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 05:09:46 PM »
jmlv - 10/25/2007  11:42 PM

lUCKLY IN tEXAS THE LAWS ARE TO THE ADVANTADE OF THE HOME OWNER. tHEY ARE LEGUAKLLY ALLOWED TO SHOOT ANYBODY ILLEGALLY ON THEIR PROPERTY AFTER DARK NO EXCEPTIONS.

Here in Indiana, it is a "you're in someone's house uninvited, you have no business being there, you are fair game."
This is only reasonable, as NO ONE is going to be able to take the time to determine someone's intentions when he shows up in his humble abode unannounced.
It doesn't take a neurosurgeon to figure out that someone such as that is up to no good.

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 03:21:17 AM »
we need to create a list of the "good states" The ones that lawfully allow you to defend yourself and family. Here in wisconsin your pretty much sol..