Author Topic: Springs in airguns,why they don't last  (Read 4701 times)

Springs in airguns,why they don't last
« on: June 16, 2006, 05:11:17 AM »
There is no tougher job for a spring than driving a magnum spring gun piston. In no other mechanism is a spring compressed to coil bind,then released with little resistance to expand freely.Even the valve springs in a racebike engine are under lower stress,and they may get changed every race.Before the magnum sprigner became the norm,spring were expected to last for years,(or decades),and did,mostly because of slower piston speeds. Springs in old match rifles will last 100's of 1,000's of shots. Consider the mainspring in your magnum a "consumeable",like the air cleaner and tires on your car.

RE: Springs in airguns,why they don't last
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 05:21:36 AM »
Hi you are correct springs take a beating in a magnum airgun but Century springs in L.A. has some awesome springs that work in airguns, I have heard of some folks usign what they call die spirngs, they compress 40 percent of there total length and kick ass bubba they are over 20.00 dollars wholsale, the wire is oval, a good spring can be found by looking at there catalog.

I think they have over 20,000 kinds of springs.

Stuart Brandt

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 07:49:32 AM »
do they sell retail? Any Ti springs?

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 12:50:25 PM »
No they dont have TI but the spring I was looking at is Chrome Moly made from oval wire, I spoke to an engineer and he gave me some tips regarding springs, I told him most good springers use a spring guide of sorts because the spring may buckle and rub the cylinder wall, and sometimes to dampen spring twang, he said the Die springs should not buckle in the middle, also the springs are kind of high in price compared to what we use in airguns here is a link.    
The spring I am looking at is the d1441.

http://www.centuryspring.com/pdfs/312-320.pdf

Stuart Brandt

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 01:15:57 PM »
Let us know how that works for you.I've never tried oval wire,just square and round.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 01:21:58 PM »
How is the square wire, are not OX springs made that way, did you see the link I posted on my last post if you need more info private message me, I told the guy about the Theoben gas spring and he said do they leak lol.

Stuart Brandt

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 06:35:57 PM »
Yep,ox springs.lot's of cocking force,lotsa kick,not much power gain. I'm not doing much with springers anymore,but I keep an eye on ideas floating around...

we all know its the carmex
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 11:09:55 PM »
nt

RE: we all know its the carmex
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 03:41:18 AM »
Hey I have not used Carmex in months lol have you in airguns that is lol.

Stuart Brandt