Author Topic: "Micrometric" sights - NOT  (Read 2016 times)

Offline vinceb

• http://
"Micrometric" sights - NOT
« on: July 30, 2006, 10:39:47 AM »
My recently acquired refurb 440 is certainly a decent shooter, but this is my first Gamo with the so-called "micrometric" sights - as opposed to the "millimetric" sights on the Shadow.

What's the difference? Well, according to Gamo: "The micrometric adjustment has a finer adjustment per click."

So I decided to check. I've got my Shadow and my 440 sights both set to hit "right on" at 60 yards. The barrel length and sight radius of both guns are virtually identical.

First, I adjusted the elevation on both sights by 20 clicks, and measured how much the sight elevation actually changed (as measured from the top of the breach block). The Gamo changed just about .100" for 20 clicks, which translates into .005 per click. The 440? it moved about .140" for the same number of clicks, or .007" per click. That's COURSER, not FINER.

Next, I did the same with the windage. The Shadow sight moved sideways just about .040" for 20 clicks, the 440 about .045"-.050". Again, courser.

I double-checked and triple-checked the measurements to make sure I was seeing things right, and the results were always the same - the 440 sight moves more for the same number of clicks.

One last test - I tried moving the Shadow sight notch sideways, to no avail. Essentially no play whatsoever. I did the same for the 440 - and got about .050 side-to-side.

Seems to me that despite Gamo's claims to the contrary, the cheaper "millimetric" sight is superior. The "micrometric" dials don't even have numbers on them.

In actual use, the micrometric works OK... but one of the reasons I went for the 440 instead of the 220 was precisely to get the "better" rear sight. For $95 I'm not complaining (and I sure ain't gonna return it), but just FYI - don't pay extra for the 440 just because of the sight!

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: "Micrometric" sights - NOT
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 11:57:51 PM »
Good post Vince, I don't normally use the metal sights and would of not known about this. I am gonna go check my Gmo's this morning and see which ones has which sights on them..

But of course I paid mostly discounted retail price for all but two of my Gamo's... :(

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline waunderin

• GTA Donations
Re: "Micrometric" sights - NOT
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 03:42:10 AM »
used to do this with a dial indicator, and map out how much sight changed with each click. that was for compition guns. john