Author Topic: Rabbit info request!  (Read 1976 times)

Rabbit info request!
« on: July 30, 2006, 01:48:27 PM »
We have tons of wild rabbits here. I don't know enough to know if they are hares or jack rabbits or what...they're brown and wild and rabbit.

I'd like to start talking some out for the pot, but I have heard that there are problem with wild rabbits and you need to check them over.

I've researched it a bit and it seems like you have to check the liver for spots and if it's clean, you're ok to eat it.

Could some of you rabbit-hunter-eaters out there offer me some guidance on the proper way to inspect a wild rabbit for the pot?

If it matters, I am on the east coast.

Thanks in advance and be sure to include your favorite wild rabbit  recipes if you are so inclined, I love to cook too.

Offline longislandhunter

• http://
RE: Rabbit info request!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 11:49:25 PM »
I also live on the east coast and shoot and eat rabbits all the time.  Check the liver as you clean them, if the liver is spotted, usually little yellow spots,  do not eat that rabbit. If the liver is free of spots and appears healthy in appearance and color, then it's safe to eat.  Also, if you shoot rabbits in the summer you may find a thick grub under the skin, actually embedded in the meat, usually around the shoulder areas although you may find this parasite in other areas of the rabbit meat.  This is called a botfly larvae.  Simply cut out the larvae, and the surrounding meat.  The rabbit it perfectly safe to eat and will taste fine.  I have only found a couple such larvae in rabbits that I've shot, and you will only find these parasites in the summer months if you find any at all.  Don't let the gross appearance of the larvae get to you, as long as you cut it out along with the surrounding meat the rest of the animal is fine to consume.  The summer rabbits may also have more fleas and or ticks on them, neither of which effect the meat, however just keep this in mind as you handle the carcass and clean it.  Well, good hunting and good eating. Oh yeah, as for recipes my favorite is a very simple recipe.......I like to fry up a mess of bacon, leaving the bacon grease in the pan of course, then cut the rabbit into smaller pieces, coat them in some seasoned flour, and fry them in the bacon grease until golden brown.  I'm not worried about the cholesterol/fat issue with the bacon grease, but if you are you can always use some other type of heart friendly oil.
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"