Author Topic: Hunter Elite: PART I  (Read 3105 times)

Offline jr28

• GTA Donations
Hunter Elite: PART I
« on: October 30, 2007, 03:15:20 PM »
Well the new rifle just arrived yesterday.  I haven't had time to make a thorough evaluation but I figure I'll call this Part I, and go for initial impressions.  
A couple of things to bear in mind: my last (and only) rifle was the Winchester 800x, or rather, three of them(they kept breaking on me).  So my impressions as far as appearance, smoothness, and overall quality are bound to be slightly skewed.  
That said, this is one VERY nice looking air rifle out of the box.  I have found no dings, scratches, or irregularities in the workmanship of the stock, with the exception of the forend; the extreme ends of the wood appear to have been left relatively untreated, as the wood there is rough and "crumbly", for lack of a better adjective.  However, this is nothing a few seconds with some fine grit sandpaper won't cure.  Other than that, the stock is very nice looking.
Ok, onto the metal.  Again, quality control is good throughout.  A big plus for me was that the rifle was  NOT over-oiled in the packing.  No oil or grease ran onto the wood.  The barrel shroud thing, which I will come back to later, is made of some lower grade metal (aluminum?) and it is the sort of stuff that shows in high relief even the slightest fingernail scratch, etc.  I personally find that annoying, but it's not a really big point.
The scope mount job was good.  The screws needed to be tightened here and there, but it was level, adjusted well, and clean.
Overall, my impressions out of the box were entirely positive.
I've put maybe...100 shots through it so far so obviously it's not anywhere near being broken in, but again, my initial impression of the rifle is very positive.  Cocking is very easy and, at least in comparison to the Winchester, quite smooth.  Breaking the barrel just requires pulling down on the muzzle, and it locks very smoothly.  Actually, here is my first question to Gamo shooters: After about the 15th shot or so, I cocked the rifle, and it didn't lock.  I didn't hear anything break, no feeling of something coming off a guide or anything, but it just didn't catch at the end of the stroke.  Anyway, I worked the mechanism a few times, then slowly cocked it and it locked, and I haven't had the problem since.  Is that normal?  Hopefully.  Anyway, back to the review.
I've heard a lot on this and other forums about how hard it is to sight this scope in.  I haven't had that problem.  Seriously, it took me 6 shots to sight it in.  Now, I don't shoot paper, so maybe my $.02 doesn't count, but at 45 yds, I was nailing soda cans where I was aiming, i.e., I could aim at the top and make it do a backwards flip, aim and the bottom and make it frontflip...you get the picture.  I'm not trying to brag but just saying that for anything the size of a coke can (small rodents? birds?  squirrels?) this gun and scope are fine out to a pretty considerable range, out of the box, and if you wanted to sit down and shoot paper, I'm fairly certain it would hold up just fine (although you need to fix the trigger first...it's adjustable but it's pretty uncomfortable to shoot and it has some creep, as well as a stiff 2nd stage).
Which is suppose is as good an intro as any to talk a bit about the scope.  I like it.  It's clear, the mil-dot reticle is handy and not too big or detailed to be annoying, the 11 levels of illumination are nice (although, in my opinion, 5 would have been just fine), the turret adjustment knobs are finger adjustable, and the focus is easy to understand.  No Allen wrenches, just a simple screw out operation at the eyepiece.
The only thing about the rifle that makes me scratch my head in wonder is the barrel shroud.  I mean, what is it for?  Ok, it looks cool, but other than being aesthetically pleasing...?  I don't think it has anything to do with sound reduction, because it feels like it's lower grade aluminum and it is most definitely a hollow tube around the barrel.  I tried twisting it and it just spun around the barrel.  So, perhaps someone could enlighten me as to it's function.  For now, I'll just put it down to looks.  It does look good......
There seems to be a lot of dieseling happening, but again, that's probably normal considering I've put less than a tin of pellets through it.
Also probably due to the newness of the rifle are the apparent velocity variations I've been experiencing.  
It has the twang associated with Gamos, and as it is still new, tends to be a little rough on the shots.  It is quiet, however.
On a side note, the PBA pellets it came with seem to me to be entirely worthless.  The are fast and loud and not accurate.  I worry about their weight, or lack thereof, in such a powerful rifle.  
Ok.......that pretty much covers everything I've experienced up to now.  Later this week or this weekend I'll write a more detailed review, more accuracy based.
And Charlie da Tuna...consider another GRT III ordered!

---Nick  

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: Hunter Elite: PART I
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 03:55:03 PM »
Hi Nick

I am quite familiar with many of the Gamo air rifles. Most of them share the same power plant but with different aesthetics. I can only give you three reasons for a shrouded barrel or bull barrel. One is ease in cocking, second is barrel flip and third is aesthetics. I make custom barrel shrouds and muzzle brakes for many air guns. Your shroud should not move and should be stationary. As far as the wood goes I have several Gamo's with wood stocks and all bought new with no irregularities, but that does not mean one or two cannot slip through QC..:) All my Gamo's are at least a year old and are from the previous models. They all had iron sights with blued barrels and no shrouds. After a 1000 or more pellets your Gamo will settle down a bit and the velocity between pellets will become more stable and uniform. The Gamo trigger on the other hand will never get better..:( Your best bet is buy a CDT GRT-III trigger and you will be amazed at the difference in your now accuracy and after.

Good Luck and thank you for your review. Very objective and fouth coming

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
Re: Hunter Elite: PART I
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 11:23:07 PM »
Nice review Nick and it sound's like your pleased with her out of the box. :) Keep us updated on her progress and thank's for sharing it with us.Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline Big_Bill

• http://
RE: Hunter Elite: PART I
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 02:16:45 PM »

Very Good Review Nick,

I enjoyed reading it, and could almost feel the rough wood on your forearm of the stock. Keep us all informed with the progress of your Hunter Elite, and after you install Charlie's GRT-III trigger on her, and stop smiling for a minute, you can tell us all just how much you love it ! hehehe

I still get that way with my GRT-III !!

Life Member of The United States of America
Life Member of the National Rifle Association
Member Air Guns Addicted Anonymous
SHOOT SAFE ! - SHOOT WELL ! - SHOOT OFTEN !
Always Use A Spring Compressor ! and Buy the GREAT GRT-III & CBR Triggers, cause they are GRRRREAT !