Author Topic: Would be interesting to hear some small game............  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Would be interesting to hear some small game............
« on: July 31, 2006, 02:35:00 AM »
hunting techniques. What do ya all consider small game? What do you feel is the game size limit for hunting with Air Gun?

Does anyone eat what the kill? What do you all do with what you kill?

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline longislandhunter

• http://
RE: Would be interesting to hear some small game............
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 10:08:38 AM »
To me small game is the traditional:  rabbits, squirrels, quail, pheasant, grouse.  As for technique,,, I like to still hunt through the woods, just like deer hunting.  I try to move as silently as I can, taking a step or two at  a time then standing still for a few minutes to watch and listen for game.  After a few minutes I'll take another step or two and repeat the process.  When I say a step or two I truly mean only 1 or 2 steps, you'd be amazed how much a step or 2's distance can give you a totally different visual perspective on the woods that you've been scanning.  Over the years I've actually learned to rely more on sound, rather than sight, to detect game.  I find this also to be true in deer hunting,,, my other passion.  9 time outa 10, if you are truly listening, you will hear the sounds the game is making long before you actually see the animal.  Once you detect te sound you can then use it to direct and focus all your other senses to the area the sound is eminating from for futher identification. I hunt mostly wooded areas and this technique works well for me, but as for hunting desert terrain or large open areas I have no experience there so I can't say how one should hunt in those areas, although I would assume the visual senses would be more valuable in those cases.One of my other favorite squirrel hunting techniques is to get fully camo'd, slip into the woods as quitely as possible, position myself on the ground in a prime feeding area  in a ground blind constructed out of natural material gathered from the area, and then just sit quietly and watch and wait.  Even after I drop a squirrel from my hiding spot I'll leave it lying where it fell and wait for the next squirrel to appear. I eat all the game animals I shoot and relish every morsel, as do my wife and daughters.  My favorite dinner is a nice wild game stew or some fried rabbit or squirrel.  As for what I consider the size limit for hunting with an air gun I have to admit that this is my first year actually hunting with air guns so I am still learning.  The largest animal I've killed with an air gun are the woodchucks that I've taken, a couple of them large adults that weighed in pretty good for a woodchuck.  I"ve read about guys taking raccoons with ease, and after killing a few woodchucks with well placed head shots I can see how raccoons, if your aim is true and you're using a suitably powered airgun, are a valid air gun target. And in case you're wondering,,, yes,,, I do eat the woodchucks I shoot if they are smaller younger ones.  You may not believe it but they do actually taste very good. The meat can be tough so I usually parboil them, then barbeque them over some mesquite wood or hickory while basting them with some good barbeque sauce.  I got into bow hunting years ago because I wanted to take deer hunting to the next challenge level,,, I got into air gun hunting this year for the same reason and the experience has been, and continues to be, one of the most satisfying and enjoyable activities I've ever engaged in.  
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 01:57:11 PM »
Very well written. I couldn't agree more with your comments concerning the sense of hearing and it's importance in the woods. I also hunt in a heavily wooded area so it really is an advantage. Amazing what you can hear if you spend enough time in the woods. I can pick-up on the sound of squirrels clawing their way up a tree very easily now.

I've also found that learning the habits of the animal helps alot too. Without this knowledge it is simply a game of chance where the animal has the better odds. My best squirrel hunting is typically between sunrise and noon when they tend to be feeding on the ground. I may spot one or two mid-day while they are sunning themselves on some of the higher limbs. I have had limited success just before dusk as this is suposed to be feeding time also but they seem to be on the move later in the day. Perhaps on their way home from another rough day at work LOL.

Rabbits are typically easiest to spot around dusk and if your stalking skills are up to it, you can often get within 25 yards without them noticing.

Great thread.

Russ S.

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 09:27:43 PM »
Gene:

What I consider small game is that which is defined as such in Section 257, Title 14, California Code of Regulations -the highlights of which are: cottontail rabbit, jackrabbit, western tree squirrels, valley quail, Gamble's quail, mountain quail, chukar partridge, pheasant, and turkey.

I personally feel that the game size limit it Turkey, just as it is in California regulations.  I'm not too interested in big game hunting, as I see no easily articualted advantage to using an air rifle on big game, but I can think of plenty of advanatges to using air rifles in the common smallbore calibers on the smaller game species.

Aside from mice in the barn, I don't kill something I am not going to eat.  So when I shoot the animals listed above, they get eaten.  Quail is my favorite of the bunch.

-JP