Author Topic: RWS 92, Second time around  (Read 7384 times)

Offline PeakChick

• http://
RWS 92, Second time around
« on: December 02, 2007, 08:58:13 AM »
I ordered a RWS 92 (Cometa 220) in .177 just about a month ago. As some may recall the first one I received was defective. I had ordered the rifle from Larry's Gun and Pawn in Huntsville, AL. Larry's was very prompt in replying to my E-mail and was very good about taking the defective one back and exchanging it for me. I received the replacement rifle last Thursday.

I did my usualy cleaning and pre-sight in check of the rifle, cleaned the barrel and checked the stock screws. Cometa does locktite the screws from the factory, the receiver screws were very tight. The rear action screw at the trigger guard took about 1/4 - 1/2 turn tightening up, but I could feel the friction of the locktite on it, (more about this later).

Scope mounting is a bit of an issue on this rifle. The rifle has nicely machined rails in the top of the receiver, a bit on the narrow side, 11mm at most and somewhat short. The rails are just long enough to fit a 4", one piece mount. There is no stop pin hole drilled in the receiver. I initially mounted the Bushnell 3-9 x32 Sportsman scope I am using on this rifle in a set of Gamo two piece mounts I had and was going to use a BKL scope stop that I had ordered specifically for this rifle. The stop is a big strong, two screw stop and would have worked well, but was too high to use with medium height mounts. I decided instead to use a B-Square Airsport, one piece mount on the rifle. It fit very well, but the Airsport mount uses four very small head allen screws in the mount and did not have enough clamping power to prevent sliding from recoil without using the stop pin, not an option on this rifle. I ended up using a BKL 260 D7 mount that I had and it has done the trick. The BKL mount does not even include a stop pin in its design, it uses its very high strength, six screw clamping design to keep the mount and scope from moving and it works. The droop compensation built into the D7 mount seems to have worked well with this rifle, the elevation is in a fairly neutural spot. I wouldn't call the 92 a real droop barrel rifle, but the mount is working well on this rifle.

I had a bit of POI shift as I was sighting the rifle in and shooting it over the past few days and it was frustrating me a little. I finally decided to check the stock screws again and found the problem. The forend screws were still very solid and tight, but the rear receiver screw was 1/2 - 3/4 turn loose. I pulled the screw out, cleaned the threads and applied blue locktite liberally to them. The screw went back and was snugged up securely. This seems to have eliminated any POI shift. The rifle is shooting very decent ragged, one hole groups at 10 yds on my indoor range now. I tried a number of different pellets BSA Wolverine FTs, Gamo Hunters, RWS Super Domes, RWS Super Points, RWS Super HPs, Crossman Premier HPs. The Gamo Hunters are shooting best in this rifle.

The rifle has a decent beech stock, medium walnut stain, nothing fancy in the grain. The stock inletting on these rifles is very good, good fit wood to metal. The metal finish is middle of the road, decent blackish bluing. The trigger guard is an inexpensive, but strong stamped steel unit. The trigger is a stamped steel, two stage, adjustable unit. The trigger is what I would call decent, the first stage is light, second stage has a bit of creep. The trigger does let off predictably. I would say the let off is about 2-2.5 lbs. This trigger is a good sporter trigger, better than a stock Gamo trigger, not near as nice as a Rekord, or B26 Rekord copy. I have not adjusted the trigger, and likely won't as it is a good range for me for a sporter rifle. I really like this size rifle, what I call a longish carbine. The specs list it at 42" OAL, 6lbs in weight (unscoped). I am very fond of rifles in the 40-42" range, so this one works well for me. I did have an issue with the stock butt pad. The rifle comes with a black, hard plastic ridged texture butt pad with a white line spacer. The plastic was too slippery for me and I had to work too hard to keep the butt steady in the pocket of my shoulder. I went to the local Sportsman's Warehouse and did a bit of checking on slip on butt pads that would fit based on my measurements of the rifle's stock. I ended up buying a "Limbsaver" by Sims Labs black rubber slip on butt pad for this rifle. I removed the stock plastic butt pad prior to installing the slip on pad and it fits and works very well. It gives me a little longer length of pull, which fits me better and does not slip on my shoulder.

The firing cycle on this rifle is fast, with little or no twang or buzz. It is not the short, smooth cycle that my BSA or HW 30 has, but is quite good, much better than a stock Gamo rifle. The rifle has a good ball dentent lock up on the barrel, was tight enough when first breaking it in that I had to slap the barrel to open it. It has smoothed up a bit now that I have about 250 pellets through the rifle so that I usually don't have to slap the barrel to open it now. This rifle does seem to want a good break in and is shooting better and better as it breaks in. The rifle did deisel for the first 50 or so shots.  This rifle is listed at 725 fps, and I would guess that's fairly accurate. It does seem to hit a bit harder than my HW30.

All in all, I am pleased with this rifle for the money. I think the Cometa rifles are just one notch above the Gamo rifles in terms of overall quality. We'll see how it holds up. I have included a pic of the rifle below and a pic with my HW30 and .22 B26 for size comparison.

The current stable, (arsenal, quiver?): BSA Lightning XL .177, BSA Sportsman HV .22, BSA Ultra .177, CZ634 .177, Daystate Harrier X .177, TAU 200 Senior .177, HW 97 .177, HW 50s .177, HW 30 .177, RWS 92 .177, Gamo 126 MC Super, Gamo Big Cat .177, AR2078A, QB78 .177, Quest 1000 .177, Beeman SS650 .177., Beeman P17 .177.

Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it.

Offline Splash

• http://www.airgunspa.com
RE: RWS 92, Second time around
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 09:15:55 AM »

Nice review Steph, I'm glad that Larry got you all fixed up.:) Alittle tip on those slick plastic pads, you can paint them with bedliner paint and that gives just enough texture, so no slipping.

Mike

Mike
We can\'t control the wind, but we can adjust our sails.
http://www.airgunspa.com
http://www.airgunone.com
http://www.airguntricks.com

Offline PeakChick

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 09:41:28 AM »
Thanks Mike. I had thought about the bedliner tirick on the butt pad. I also tried to find some Pachmary "Pac Skin," it comes in stick on sheets of their rubber. The slip on worked well for me as it gave me a just a bit longer length of pull that felt better.
The current stable, (arsenal, quiver?): BSA Lightning XL .177, BSA Sportsman HV .22, BSA Ultra .177, CZ634 .177, Daystate Harrier X .177, TAU 200 Senior .177, HW 97 .177, HW 50s .177, HW 30 .177, RWS 92 .177, Gamo 126 MC Super, Gamo Big Cat .177, AR2078A, QB78 .177, Quest 1000 .177, Beeman SS650 .177., Beeman P17 .177.

Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it.

Offline Big_Bill

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 10:56:17 AM »

Great review Stephanie,

I enjoyed reading your account of receiving your new air rifle and the machinations you go through when receiving a new air rifle !

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us !

Bill

Life Member of The United States of America
Life Member of the National Rifle Association
Member Air Guns Addicted Anonymous
SHOOT SAFE ! - SHOOT WELL ! - SHOOT OFTEN !
Always Use A Spring Compressor ! and Buy the GREAT GRT-III & CBR Triggers, cause they are GRRRREAT !

Offline tnjeff

• GTA Donations
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 02:35:45 PM »
Good Review. I bought mine a couple of years ago from AirGun Express. It was a "blem" with a scratch on the forearm. I think I gave 89.00 for it. I didn't know alot about air rifles then (and not alot more now) but the more I look around and see what's available for the money, I'm really happy with mine. Last week I set it up with a BKL drooper mount like yours and a Center Point 4-16x40 scope. I'm very happy with the way that it shoots. So far the best I've gotten out of it is 5 shots in a half an inch at 25 yards. Not spectacular I guess but maybe it will do a little better if I can get my act together!

Jeff
Hit it?! I can\'t even see it!

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: RWS 92, Second time around
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 03:55:59 PM »

Excellent objective reveiw Peak . Lots of extra info and you have covered just about everything associated with the RWS 92.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Gene

THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin