Author Topic: .177 rifle preference  (Read 6028 times)

.177 rifle preference
« on: December 09, 2007, 09:34:11 AM »
Over the past year I've bought, tuned and sold about a dozen rifles, and only kept one for myself, an R7.  And just as several of you guys and gals told me, that would be the one rifle I wouldn't sell.  I even sold my Beeman-tuned R9 Goldfinger when I injured my right shoulder so bad I had to stop shooting air rifle right-handed...so then I learned to shoot left-handed and it's working fine...sure  wish I had that R9 back now!  Oh well.
Reason for this post is that I'd like to have one more .177 that shoots 'around' 900 to complement my R7 that's running around 640.  Most of my shooting is backyard-type but there are times when I need to get out to 50 yards with some power left and the R7 is just a bit short.  So I've been paying attention to what you guys are buying and testing lately.  I've had a G1 and RWS 94 and liked both of them...a lot!  So I'm thinking about either one of those or a TF 89 or B26-2.  Yes, I know  there's a great gap in money there, but it doesn't matter.  That G1 was as smooth and accurate as one of my R9's at 1/3 the price.
This rifle won't be used for hunting...just the occasional squawking crow and perhaps a gopher now and then.  What I'd really appreciate is your opinion about which of these 4 rifles would be the best choice for my purpose...mostly from a build quality viewpoint.

Bob

Offline PeakChick

• http://
RE: .177 rifle preference
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 10:02:49 AM »
Bob, Of the four rifles you mentioned my choice would be either a B26 or the RWS 94. The RWS will give you a bit more power than the B26, and I like my RWS 92 enough that I think the Cometa rfles are a very good value for the money. You might check with Umarex and see if they have a remanufactured 94, I think they run about $130.00 shipped in a reman. I know the B26 wouldn't disappoint me, I have the sporter stocked version in both .177 and .22 and am very pleased with the build quality and accuracy. The B26 would be the closeest of the bunch to your R9 (obviously). As I understand, the B26 responds very well to a tune. I like both of mine enough in stock form that I am not motivated to pursue tuning them.
The current stable, (arsenal, quiver?): BSA Lightning XL .177, BSA Sportsman HV .22, BSA Ultra .177, CZ634 .177, Daystate Harrier X .177, TAU 200 Senior .177, HW 97 .177, HW 50s .177, HW 30 .177, RWS 92 .177, Gamo 126 MC Super, Gamo Big Cat .177, AR2078A, QB78 .177, Quest 1000 .177, Beeman SS650 .177., Beeman P17 .177.

Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it.

Offline longislandhunter

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 10:20:16 AM »
Hey Bob,

I have a B26-2 in .177  and also a G-1 in .177 ,,,, both are fine, smooth, hard hitters.  I would be hard pressed to choose between the 2 of em.  If I could only get one I"d probably go with the B26 if for no other reason than the nice trigger on the guns.  Of course a G-1 with one of Bobs triggers would get my nod also.  :)   and Crosman does have that great parts dept. service and warranty rep.  

Best of luck with whatever you chose.  

Jeff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 11:14:50 AM »
Thanks.  I did check with UMAREX and bought one of their Refurbs about 2 months ago.  It was so terrible that I returned it the next day.  It had several things wrong...including a cracked and patched stock...and that was the most minor flaw!  So I bought a new 94 but didn't want to cope with the major barrel droop so I returned it as well.  Too bad because I really liked the build quality.  
I keep thinking about a 26-2 with the thumbhole stock but I've never had my hands on one.  If that turns out to be my choice, I'm sure I'll order it with that stock.  I had a Crossman a couple of years ago with that sort of stock and it really felt good in hand.  Funny thing though...I couldn't shoot it worth a hoot.

I didn't intend to put this post in the Review forum.  I was reading reviews in this area when I decided to do the post and forgot to change back over to the main forum.  I don't know what to do about it so I'll just live with it.

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 11:28:27 AM »
Thanks Jeff.  Seems like you and the Peak are on the same track with those 26's.  And I probably agree about choosing between it and the G1.  That doggone rifle was built better than most any other ones I've had and I still can't believe the low price on them.  I put one of Rich's little Inserts in the trigger group after I tweaked it a bit and the trigger turned out beautifully.  I was going to get one of CDT's masterpieces, like I've used a few times before, but it turned out so well I just left it that way.  I still didn't like the feel of the trigger blade itself, though.
Hmmm.  No comments yet on the TF 89.  

Bob

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 12:44:19 PM »
B26-2, great shooter, accurate higher quality Chinese airrifle. The wood thumbhole stock is thumb's up but it also has a extra high cheeckrest which some find to high. Some have trimmed to thier liking and some like it as is. I left mine alone , the high cheekrest really give's the stock some nice line's. There are high mount's and or riser's that will set your scope and you up were you want to be if you plan on using one. Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: .177 rifle preference
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 01:42:45 PM »
I am sold on theTF 89 .22 and the Hammerli Titan .177. They are the exact same air rifle with exceptionof stocks and calibier. But I hear little about the CZ 634, which I now own two of. They are a step down in power from the above mentioned and weigh abit less. But for sure they are accurate as heck. Very smooth and with a good trigger and feel. The above mentioned triggers are superb and can be tuned if you so desire. There are three adjustment screws to get the right feel you want. But cannot complain about the other air rifles you mentioned which I own one of. Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 04:08:00 AM »
Ed and Gene...thanks a lot.  This is the sort of info I need, and the heads-up on the 26-2 stock is particularly relevant for me because my Cherokee cheekbones usually don't allow me to get down far enough to catch iron sights.  I'll definitely need high scope mounts.
I'm going to have to take look at the Titan.

Bob

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 05:54:35 AM »
For sure the B-26 sporter is a great air rifle. It is not my cheeks that get in the way on the high comb B26-2 it was my big head.. hehe So I got the standard sporter B26  now..:) And I love shooting it as well..

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 09:56:53 AM »
Looks like I've 'bout made up my head.  The B26-2 would be my first choice but that hi comb kills it for me.  I'm not looking forward to a bunch of woodwork on that comb.  TheTF 89 looks like a heck of a gun but, like the Titan, it's just too big and I don't like the triggers.  Substituting one of CDT's triggers would be the obvious answer, if I could live with the size/weight, but if I'm going to do that, I think a better choice is going to be the Crossman G1.  It shoots faster and smoother than any .177 I've had, is very accurate, and is really an exceptional quality build.  I just wish it had a wood stock...  OR, I wish the B26-2 had the thumbhole stock without that doggone high comb.
Haven't hit the infamous "button" yet, but am getting really close.

Thanks again for the help folks.  It really helped.

Offline leftcoast1

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 08:07:47 AM »
The crosman siearra pro is the same gun with a wood stock for about 30 dollars more. If it were me  (the G1 is on my list of to buys) and it was a toss up between the G1 and the b26 i would buy the regular B26 and look for an R9 stock and talk to Gene about some bling for it if the wood is more important to you.
Jason
A couple of Springers nothin to get excited about.