Author Topic: kirby999...jon....  (Read 6560 times)

kirby999...jon....
« on: January 06, 2008, 08:29:21 AM »
This is what I got going down here in the Augusta area....

Sure would like one of y'all to sign on, so you can do direct updates of whatever is coming up with the AA in Covington. That way we might get more folks from down here, up there.

CDT has given the site his blessing, and joined too, so I don't think he'll be opposed to this post, as a way to spur interest in our area, and yours.....and hopefully, some of it will spill over to the Midlands of SC, and beyond.

BTW....exoticwoodie is the master mind of the card idea....NOT ME!

Offline jon

• http://
RE: kirby999...jon....
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 11:21:25 AM »
Kliff,

I'm glad you are excited about shooting and wanting to give FT a try.  You should really come down to AA and meet everyone.  David and I were down there today, and it was a perfect day for shooting.

My TX was shooting like a house O fire today too.
I like fancy bb guns

RE: kirby999...jon....
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 12:55:56 PM »
I would love to, but 24 hour notice isn't always enough. Especially when other plans were already made....sorry. Anyone shooting Monday????

Offline jon

Re: kirby999...jon....
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 01:17:34 PM »
No, we tend to only shoot on the weekend out of respect for the property owner.  Keep an eye on the weather, during the next few months we'll have to play it by ear.  I posted some stuff on your web-site in the picture section.
I like fancy bb guns

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 11:47:36 PM »
A weather eye it is then. Thanks for the pics jon....I'm still in awe....

Offline jon

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 09:28:29 AM »
Kliff,

The new schedule was posted, every 3rd Sunday of the month there will be a match.  And of course we'll get at least one practice weekend in there somewhere, if we can get some decent weather this weekend, I'd be glad to help you get set-up for the style of shooting you want to participate in.  Just let me know what kind of gun you are bringing I.E springer or PCP and I'll bring mine down for an example of the type of equipment that is used.
I like fancy bb guns

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 04:20:54 AM »
Posted, linked, and "stickied!"

As it stands right now, all I have are lower and middle ranked springers... Still toying with a bulked CO2 rifle or PCP....or possibly a Magnum Springer, but I'd like something easier to shoot, and easier on expensive optics too... so CO2 or PCP look to be my options....

Still learning.

But! If all is well, and the creeks don't rise, "Crash" and I might  be there on the 20th.

Offline jon

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 09:54:23 AM »
A magnum springer will probably be all but useless, you need something easy to shoot and that has average to above average accuracy.  I would say your gun has to be at least capable of 1/2 inch accuracy it the field target position or off shooting sticks at 30 yards.  Now remember I said capable, for most 1/2 inch accuracy at 30 yards is much harder to achieve than most would have you beilieve.  CO2 is also out because of it's temperature sensitivity.

Kliff just look at mid- range to low power springers, 12ftlbs is plenty to knock down 55 yard kill zones.  Beginners often think a full 20 FPE is the answer, it is nice to have but usually only PCP's can take advantage of that kind of power.  A 20FPE springer would be too harsh to shoot well, not that it cant be done because it probably can  but no one I've heard of has shot really well with one.

My TX is considered powerful to most spring gun shooters, it shoots about 15.5 FPE, that is 910 FPS with a 8.4 grain JSB.   All of the the sprngers i know of at our club are less powerful  than mine and they have done well nationally.

Now on the other hand my USFT shoots at 19 FPE about 920 FPS with a 10.5 grain Crosman Heavy, it shoots just as flat as my lower powered TX.

Also be mindful that alot of the PCP's shoot harder than the 20 FPE limit, so make sure you pick one with a power level that fits into the rules.

I fyou want a cheap scope that would work, I'd have to say a leapers 8-32 sidewheel would be the way to go, or a 6-24  bushnell banner mil-dot.
I like fancy bb guns