Author Topic: GAMO WHISPER REVIEW  (Read 14632 times)

Offline SGTMEATSAUCE

• http://
GAMO WHISPER REVIEW
« on: January 20, 2008, 03:57:20 AM »
The rifle arrived double boxed and undamaged in a brown cardboard box with little fanfare or ornament. Opening the brown box was the Gamo packaging complete with a multicolor striking advertisement of all the wonderful features the Whisper has to offer.  After taking everything out and checking for damage, I quickly read the dismal instructions. Very generalized, not rifle specific and nearly useless. I then read over the scope instructions, which later I found out was the best part of the scope.  I then made haste and set up my makeshift pellet trap that I devised just for this day when my new Gamo Whisper would arrive. (Essentially a hastily concocted cardboard box filled with old magazines taped shut and with computer generated and printed by me target sheets of Mini Bin Laden figures, bull-eyes of different sizes and black mini animals-oh what fun!)

I was using RWS Superdomes 8.3gr pellets. I chose these because it was the only good quality pellets my local store had. Matter of fact it was the only can of .177 pellets they had at all. Nevertheless, weighing my options, it was a good choice overall. I think 1000 fps rifles like the heavier weight pellets, but what do I know that I had not already read somewhere.

Now lets shoot this rifle. 1st thing I noticed was the easy cocking action. Next I noticed a ton of grease around the barrel opening, which I surgically wiped off. I then cleaned all residues away from the barrel openings and breech area. I though I read how it was so very important to keep oil away from those important areas and out of the barrel, but here was my brand new rifle chock full of the stuff? Not having a barrel-cleaning device, which at the time I had not purchased yet, I loaded up a superb RWS quality pellet. I stuck it into the barrel facing the proper way and noticed a nice tight fit with the rear cup area of the pellet fully flush with the barrel lip. Nice uniformity and exacting like fit. I closed up the break barrel, checking for looseness or play while rifle is cocked, finding none I took off the safety and prepared to fire. That’s when the 1st problem came about. I have never used these fancy newfangled fiber-optic sights. I did not know what sight picture I was suppose to see. I have only used scopes or the old-fashioned V ramp adjustable rear and blade Bead front sight. So I activated the safety feature on the rifle and proceeded to re-study the Gamo instruction book. Not only did it not even mention having high quality fiber-optic sights on the rifle or how to use them, but also it said, “Your Gamo air rifle comes with the scope mounted and bore sighted.” Which is not the case.  So I shot at my little target the best I could. I shot twice, which at 15 yards was way off. I did notice a burnt oil smell immediately after firing both times. After the two quick shots and trying to toy with the sights I decided to forego that route until I know what I am doing and just put on the scope. I followed the long-winded pamphlet like instruction book, that again was  generic and very basic (but complete in various languages!) The scope itself seemed a decent quality, mounted easily and made the rifle look mean and sinister. My pet name for the rifle is “Sinister Black”. He heh

It took quite awhile to sight in the rifle; I was almost convinced the clicks did nothing as it took nearly 40 clicks to get on paper. I rechecked the scope install; the mount had  the proper gaps, eye relief, was correctly aligned and facing the right way.  If it was up to me I would have bought the rifle without the scope and put what I want on it at a later date. I like the A1 Optic Halo sight or the Aim Point reflex sight.
Shooting the rifle was fun. The rifle has a natural balance area right in front of the trigger(at least with the scope on) and has a little oblong bump that fits oh so nice down the natural middle groove of my palm. Kinda cool, like it was made for me. The shot is not loud at all, not even in the house. My Crosman 2100 Classic (BB 755fps) pumped up the max of 10 times was significantly louder. On the Whisper nearly no explosive air sound at all to the shooter. However there is quite a mechanical Thunk sound from the spring and compression. Still not loud at all. In my backyard while shooting neither my daughter in the family room 10 feet from me could not ever detect when I shot, nor my wife in the kitchen who was listening for it also. If I was to shoot in my garage with the door shut no one could even here it. The pellet hitting the target is the loudest part.
The horrible trigger everyone says that Gamo’s have, felt average to me, the 1st take in of the trigger is adjustable, where as I feel the 2nd part should be adjustable because of how lousy it feels. No crispness at all, slow steady pressure until it breaks, seemingly never the same way twice. Definitely a trigger insert or upgrade trigger replacement like everyone suggests would make this a much nicer rifle.
Overall I am very happy with the Whisper, seems about right for the price point, does as advertised and just looks mean to boot. Thanks for listening.
08 GAMO WHISPER CDT trigger/Nerf football enhanced synthetic stock
Crosman 2100 Classic(circa 1990)
Crosman 760(circa 1980ish)
REPUBLIC OF NEW JERSEY

Offline ChrisS_NC

• http://chris.formidablefrog.com/blog
Re: GAMO WHISPER REVIEW
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 01:40:31 AM »
I had the same problem with the scope on my Varmint Hunter. We were sighting it in at 30 yards and shooting at a human silhouette paper target. Put the first 3 rounds down range and it was 12" low and 12" left. Gave it 20 clicks on both dials for a whopping 2 inches of movement up and right. We ended up giving it about 140 clicks to both dials to get it into a 3" center ring. So, I'm now contemplating the Whisper myself and thinking I'll get my optics separately. Your review just compounds the good reviews of the actual gun.
-- Chris
-------------------------------------
Crosman 2100
Gamo Varmint Hunter
BAM B26-2
Crosman 2240 w/14\" barrel (Ratkiller)

Offline 98 SNAKE EATER

• http://www.FuelSlut.net
RE: GAMO WHISPER REVIEW
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 04:22:04 AM »
Nice

I've been more than happy with my Whisper (even though the stock spring snapped @ 5k shots)

Now with a turbo tune and trigger from CDT, she's the perfect shooter  :emoticon:

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 05:24:49 AM »
I plan to get one with my tax return money- but I have heard all sorts of bad reviews on the scopes.

I too have a crosman 2100 classic, and its nice to know you rate the gamo as quieter!

I must admit my ignorance here, but do the crosman classic and whisper share the same TYPE of scope mounts? the dove tail type I mean? I would like to know if the scope I bought for my crosman would fit a whisper.

Offline ChrisS_NC

• http://chris.formidablefrog.com/blog
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 06:34:47 AM »
They both have dovetail rails. The Gamo's are all 11mm wide dovetails while the Crossman 2100 has 3/8" (9.525mm) rail. I'm sure scope mounts that will work can easily be found.
-- Chris
Crosman 2100
Gamo Varmint Hunter
BAM B26-2
Crosman 2240 w/14\" barrel (Ratkiller)

Offline SGTMEATSAUCE

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 03:17:26 PM »
I found we do indeed have the 11mm scope rails also known as the .22 rimfire rails and I think I saw where it was also called the 3/8's size, but I am sure of the 11 mm.
08 GAMO WHISPER CDT trigger/Nerf football enhanced synthetic stock
Crosman 2100 Classic(circa 1990)
Crosman 760(circa 1980ish)
REPUBLIC OF NEW JERSEY

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 04:25:31 PM »
I also own a Gamo Whisper and I am very happy with its performance. The scope came on mine as well and could not hold zero...:) After replacing the mount with an accushot one piece 11mm-3/8" dove and a nice Simmons ProAir, it turned out perfect for me. Great balance with a CDT GRT-III trigger and a Turbo Tune. The accuracy will even increase after some time when the barrel is seasoned. It is one of those air rifle you can pick up any time and it will shoot as accurate as it did the last time it was shot.

Great review Joe and I hope you will continue with future reviews on the GTA.

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline palonej

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 09:22:23 AM »
I have the Whisper Deluxe. Same gun, just about, just a little prettier. Being a Gamo owner, CFX, Varmint Hunter, I take all 'extras', scopes, lasers etc. drop em in the junk drawer and put a real scope on and take it from there!! The scope that came with a $300 Whisper cannot be worth more that $10. The Whisper is a nice gun. If you want to make it an AWESOME gun that you cannot put down, put a good scope on it and, most importantly, let CDA get his paws on it!! Turbo Tune, and GTR. You will think he stole your whisper and gave you a $1,000 springer!! What a difference from what I took out of the box!!!

Offline ARL

• GTA Donations
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 05:24:31 AM »
Great advice. I am thinking of getting a Gamo Whisper with the new air valve system from Pyramid. Tell me more about CDA. Who are they? I may have to go this route if I buy.
Thanks!

Offline Progun

• http://comcast
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 02:26:02 PM »
Hello Andy and Welcome to the forum. Like everybody says, This Is A GREAT PLACE TO BE. I think that CDA that you refer to is a misprint. I think Joe meant to say CDT which is short for CharlieDaTuna who is a founder and moderator of the GTA forums.Charlie(not his real name) is a master airgun smith (who has recently retired by the way) who also created the finest trigger upgrade for Gamo Airguns. You can still buy the GRT111 trigger and install it yourself in scant minutes. It's that easy I promise.Oh yeah, Charlie is still around as he checks in here on the GTA just about everyday.Andy, check out the GTA Library,Mall, and Office sections at the top of the page for more info and directions to CDT's website.He's no longer tuning airguns but there are other's in the GTA family and about who can do just about anything.

Offline Besty

• GTA Donations
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 01:30:16 AM »
New to this forum. Heard a lot about this mechanical genius and would LOVE a CDT turbo tune up. Owner of a Diana 27, I thought it's time to upgrade to one of the new gen gamo air rifles. I was stuck between the RWS 350 magnum prof.(1,250 fps), Gamo Hunter Extreme (1,650 fps) and the Gamo Whisper VH/X (1,200fps). After reading all related to these guns, I decided on the Whisper VH/X as I liked the way it looked and how much more accurate than the Hunter Extreme (transonic effects). Now I really want the GRT III, all the reviews I read lambasted the Gamo trigger. I also want to TURBO tune the Whisper up but the problem is I'm not a US resident and I don't think CDT allows shipping. Is there any way I can tune up my rifle the way CDT does it?