Author Topic: Gamo power plant / plants ?  (Read 4158 times)

Offline Walt

• http://
Gamo power plant / plants ?
« on: January 21, 2008, 09:52:41 AM »
A question about Gamo power plants for you experts out there please. I got a B-square spring compressor for Christmas and used it to tune a B26, clean, de burr, replacement spring and lube. Now I want to try a Gamo and do about the same things to it.  I don't necessarily want to try to turn a lemon into lemonade. Talking power plants only I would like to start with at least a good or the best platform, if there is such a thing in the Gamo line up, for the most reasonable price and improve it. There appears to be a lot of different Gamo power plants when someone like me looks over the lineup. I mostly notice different end cap styles and trigger, safety arrangements and mostly a very wide range in price. My guess is that a lot of the difference you pay for is in the look and how Gamo has accessorized with stocks, optics and other accessories, but I don't know. I don't have a overwhelming need for speed the 650-900 fps range will be fine with me. My main goal will be smoother operation and accuracy. I guess the question or questions go something like this. Is there a good, better, best power plant in line up? And the twenty four cent part of the question is, where in the line up do you think I will get the best bang for my buck to end up with a nice upgraded rifle?

Offline PeakChick

RE: Gamo power plant / plants ?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 11:49:14 AM »
All the "1000 fps" Gamo power plants are bascially identical. As far as getting the best bang for the buck, especially if you are going to invest the money to upgrade it a bit, I'd go with a CFX.
The current stable, (arsenal, quiver?): BSA Lightning XL .177, BSA Sportsman HV .22, BSA Ultra .177, CZ634 .177, Daystate Harrier X .177, TAU 200 Senior .177, HW 97 .177, HW 50s .177, HW 30 .177, RWS 92 .177, Gamo 126 MC Super, Gamo Big Cat .177, AR2078A, QB78 .177, Quest 1000 .177, Beeman SS650 .177., Beeman P17 .177.

Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it.

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: Gamo power plant / plants ?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 12:59:08 PM »
Walt, most all Gamo's use the same power plant as Peak mentioned. A simple lube and debur will help but is not an upgrade...:) The Gamo's are diamonds in the rough as CDT states. You can buy a Gamo 440 brand new from Natchez for I think around $100.00. With a deburr, lube, custom delrin spring guide to fit the existing spring, new seal and a GRT-III trigger you will have an excellent air rifle that will give you great service for years to come..:) I have 12 Gamo's that CDT and myself have tuned and believe me they shoot as nice as any German $300.00 to $500.00 air rifle out of the box..:)  And I own a few of them..:)

But if you just want to lube, deburr and go then the Gamo 440 is the rigtht price and most anyone can do a home tune on these with a spring compressor.

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

RE: Gamo power plant / plants ?
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 04:03:48 PM »
No question, right now the bang for the buck prize goes to the Natchez 440.

-Did the strip/deburr/Macarri seal and lube routine.
-Tossed the plastic spring spacer in the trash and put on a longer spring ('78 vintage, original FWB124).
-Cleaned up the crown with a brass screw in a hand drill and valve grinding compound,
-Scrubbed the bore w/ JB paste, and
-Put in a Rich from Mich trigger insert.

Topped it with a $20 BSA 4x AO 'Blem" from Natchez and an ACCUSHOT one piece I had laying around.

The result is stunning. Smooth shot cycle, and keeping  sub 0.20" groups at 14 yds is effortless - and I am still within the first 100 shots.  I suppose one could futz with a custom spring guide and/or tophat, etc. - but why? This cheap clunker has a twang-free shot cycle and stacks the pellets. It is at least as pleasing to shoot as my AA ProSport, and almost as accurate.

Have fun. And whatever you do, use a spring compressor. If you don't, the gun will launch at you, proceed directly through, and stick in the wall in back of you. Honest. It happened to me once, just that way. Ow-ee!

Offline fnash

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 03:24:10 AM »
I have a Gamo Hunter Sport... would this be about the same power plant as the 440? Or, what other Gamo would it be equal to. And I wonder if I could improve it doing what is mentioned here in this thread..  I like it as it is but always room for improvement.... FN
FN

Offline Walt

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 04:39:43 AM »
Thanks all for the input. So I take a 1000 fps Gamo is a 1000 fps Gamo and the rest of the price spread is different levels of merchandising. The 440 from Natchez does seem to be a great bargain for a project gun. Placed an online order. Hope they are still in stock. While giving the new B-square compressor some exercise, besides the deburr and lube I had planned on a trigger, seal, spring and possibly a shroud/ break combination. If the factory spring is good I guess I can save a buck or two there? Where do you get the delrin guides?

W

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 10:26:31 AM »
Yup. The "1000 fps" (1200 PBA) GAMOs are pretty much the same family. And none of them shoot 1000fps, or 1200 w/ PBA.  Maybe someone can pipe in with notable exceptions.

Offline fnash

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 10:39:23 AM »
Your right about that. Mine , which I just chronied a few days ago shoots 891 with lead. This is an average with a selection of pellets.  It would be nice if the manufactures would be honest about the fps and maybe even give a low figure rat her than an inflated high figure. I guess we just have to be aware that the figures given on most every air gun is false.... FN
FN

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 10:52:35 AM »
I only know of one 'retail' source for GAMO guides; Rich from Mich. They're part of a $70 Tune Kit; don't know if he sells them independently (?)    I'd shrink-wrap the main guide, tar the OEM spring and try it out, first, 'cause I'm CHEAP.  I'm running a stock, un-wrapped guide, no twang whatsoever.

Offline Walt

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 12:54:59 PM »
Thanks for the source. That's a tough URL to Google. Finally got there through airguninfo.com

W