Author Topic: B-28 or Gamo Whisper???  (Read 1264 times)

B-28 or Gamo Whisper???
« on: January 27, 2008, 06:05:04 AM »
I've been far removed from the air rifle scene.  12 years ago I purchased a RWS 48 and outfitted it with a Bushnell 6-18.  I plinked around in the backyard for months while my lil boy watched from his walker.  He has since grown and now wants to have his own rifle.  At 13 years of age he's a bit smaller than average so I'm thinking a light weight gun will do him best.  The RWS 48 in my opinion is just too cumbersome hence the reason I don't simply hand it down as well as the main reason I don't play with it much anymore.  I bought the neighbor kid a Gamo Big Cat for Xmas and after sighting it in I'm somewhat impressed with what you get for the money.  With that being said, I've also read good things about the Chinese clones.  I've always been the type who wanted the most "BANG" for my buck.  I love power but fully understand that it's useless if the guns is wildly inaccurate.  I just finished reading the thread about the Whisper and saw how much tuning improved the gun.  Now I'm stuck asking myself, should I get a Whisper tuned or get one of the new B-28s and have it tuned?  Or is it even possible to have Charlie supply me with one of these guns that have already been turbo tuned?

TIA to all who give their input.

edit...  oops, my newbie self posted this in the wrong forum.  Can it be moved to the proper forum?

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: B-28 or Gamo Whisper???
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 07:19:15 AM »
Also consider weight. The Gamo Whisper is very light weight.

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 07:35:37 AM »
Exactly...  And from what I've read the weights listed for the Chinese guns are typically under estimated.  The B-28 supposedly weighs in at 8 lbs whereas the Whisper comes in at a tad over 5lbs.  I wonder if the Whipser's stated weight includes the supplied scope?

Thanks To CDT for moving this post to the Gamo Gate forum.  We newbies apparently need a lil hand holding from time to time.  LOL

Offline crazy4salmon

• http://
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 12:46:25 PM »
I like my Whisper. Out of the box I am sure it will shoot as well or better than the Big Cat you bought for the neighbor. Wish I had a neighbor like you! If you put on of Charlie's triggers in that might be all you need. The trigger does make a big difference in accuracy. It would pop into the Big Cat too. I see made in China on the back of everything. Just like to buy from someone else if I have the chance.  :0
Good luck and keep us posted! P.S. My short list for my next one includes a B-26-2.

Dan L