Author Topic: Baikal MP514-K  (Read 21912 times)

Offline cole5169

• http://
Baikal MP514-K
« on: February 26, 2008, 12:57:50 PM »
I recently ordered a Baikal MP514-K rifle from Pyramyd Air.  I think I paid $139 plus shipping (more recently, I've seen it for $79 at Sportsmans Guide, doh!)  After a couple days, Fed-Ex arrived with my box from Pyramyd Air.  This review is a repost of mine from another forum.

The carton was in good shape and they had overpacked the original box in a larger one filled with packing.  Pyramyd Air has always done a good job shipping my purchases, I've never got a crushed box from them.

The pics are from my phone (sorry about the shoddy quality).  The white bar in the picture is a 12-inch architect's ruler, to give an idea of scale.

Okay!  Not pictured is the very nice piece of oil-absorbant fabric that the gun was wrapped in (I'm going to keep it for when I ship or store a couple of pistols - bonus!).  In the plasticene bag is a VERY NICE user's manual, better than I've ever seen from Crosman or Gamo, and a slip with the manufacturing date and preservation information notated on it and SIGNED.  Nice touch!  

In the small pouch is an extra magazine and an extra piston seal.  The long oiled-paper cylinder contains a spare mainspring and a one-piece cleaning rod.

Here is the MP514-K, overlever "bullpup" .177 pellet rifle from IZH-Baikal, next to one of my B3's, to compare scale (and because most of us know how big a B3 is).  The two guns weigh about the same by the way, roughly 6.5 lbs (the Baikal is very solid).

The Baikal is 25 inches long, overall, with a trigger pull of 14.25 inches.  This is adult scale, and I was impressed, the hold does not feel cramped at all.  The foregrip is extended and provides ample room to rest upon my off-hand when shooting (more about that below).

The center of gravity is 10.25 inches forward of the buttplate ( or 4 inches behind the trigger ).  Conveniently ( for me ) this is directly under the second cut-out in the lower receiver (look beneath the labelling and the rear sight).  In all, the rifle holds well, though I would like a few more ounces forward.

Here is the trigger group.  The trigger and safety (forward) are both made of a good alloy and are milled, not stamped.  In this photo, you can just barely see the red dot on the safety; here the gun was not yet cocked, and the safety was not set.  The safety DOES set itself to SAFE on cocking, and must be pushed forward to release.

Above the trigger group, you can see the Piccatinny rail.  This is an integral part of the housing, so non-removable.  It measures 5.25 inches, which is enough for any red-dot or tactical sight, and most small-to-medium sized scopes.  The rear sight came mounted on the rail, and is partially visible in this photo.  It's, frankly, not very good.

At the extreme left of the photo, you can see a square button.  This is the barrel catch.  It is only on the left side of the foregrip (not-ambidextrous), and must be depressed to unlock the barrel and cock the mainspring.

The end of the barrel is protected by a length of ABS shaped like a small moderator or flash hider.  It has no holes, and is open at the muzzle end.  I'm going to call it a "muzzle brake", even though it isn't.  The barrel is 17 inches long and rifled,  I noticed my cleaning jags making one complete rotation when passed down the barrel.  The barrel crown is located roughly 2.25 inches down in the "brake" so there is some room at the end.  The "brake" is 0.78125 inches in outer diameter, and is 0.6875 I.D.

You can see the barrel catch (square button) much better in this photo.

Opening the barrel/upper receiver toward the rear cocks the mainspring.  Cocking effort is pretty light, I didn't use a force gauge, but I estimate it at less than 20 lbs.  

This is about "half-cocked".  The anti-beartrap mechanism has very positive clicks, and I counted 14 pawls in all.  The magazine indexed itself to the next shot at the point this photo was taken (about 10 clicks).

In this photo you can see the gleam off of the barrel within the upper receiver.  The barrel is nicely blued, even though it is hidden when the gun is closed, and very chunky.  I will have to get my calipers back out, but I would guess that it is 0.625 inches (5/8 in) in OD.  I was nicely surprised by this barrel.  The bore was pretty clean and shined up nicely with JB compound, it is very substantially heavy, and I suspect that it is hammer-forged (I will check on that).  IZH used hammer-forged barrels on their IZH-60/61's, and if they put one on this plinker, then I am really impressed.

The squared-off area at the base of the barrel is where you find the 8-shot magazine.  In the picture above you can't really see the magazine that well.  The mag loads from the right side of the stock and only a small bit is visible through a viewing slot in the left side.

Now the rifle is fully cocked, at this point, the safety has clicked backwards into SAFE, and the beartrap mechanism has totally disengaged.  The upper receiver can now be swung forward with no resistance and latched.

Still at full cock.  This shows the magazine better; it is a typical airgun-revolver type mag, and disappointingly plastic.  I would have loved to see an alloy maggie.  Also visible here is the rear sight, which has a small pinhole aperture.  It is adjustable for elevation through a surprisingly large range, and for windage through a rather small range.  The windage adjustment is performed by loosening two tiny screws from the aperture plate and sliding the plate left or right.  This sight is not to my liking.  I can't figure out how to remove it yet.  The front sight is a post sitting in half-a-globe and has a nice sharp outline.

I would like to find a weaver-mount rear sight like that employed on the M-16/M-4 family, I think that would suit this well.  Alternately, I may also probably equip a tactical sight for plinking.

Kind of blurry, sorry!  With my middle finger here, I am depressing the magazine catch, located at the back of the butt and seamlessly integrated into the design (it took me awhile to find it, even though it was clearly pointed out in the manual - which is terrific, by the way).  My index finger is pointing toward the magazine.  Yes, I'm wearing latex gloves...I had just cleaned the bore, and being at work, I didn't want to spread oil over all my laboratory equipment.

The magazine is held in place by a central spindle-pin that withdraws backwards when the catch is depressed.  The magazine is removed by tipping the rifle over toward the right.  It works simply, but brilliantly.

I took the rifle out with a box of pellets and starting testing for favorites.  Right away, I found that the magazine doesn't like pellets with small skirts:

Crosman Premier Super Match - WAY too loose
Beeman Kodiak Match - a little loose, and too long
RWS Meisterkuegeln - too loose
JSB Exacts - workable, don't fall out of magazine
RWS Superdomes - PERFECT fit.

I used the RWS Superdomes to zero at 10 meters, then started shooting strings with all of the pellets I had to hand, except the Beeman Kodiaks, because the magazine would not fit in the gun with them loaded.

Predictably, the JSB's and RWS Superdomes carried the bell away.

Firing is still a little harsh, but the gun is new, and I have only put about 100 pellets through it.  The trigger is long, and feels like single-stage.  I haven't even looked to see if it is adjustable (sorry), because there is no point even trying to adjust it this soon.  It breaks cleanly.  I like this trigger, though I would like to eliminate a little of the travel.

Like a lot of springers, this gun likes to be held loosely.  I got the best groups shooting off of my open palm.  I found out quickly that holding the butt tight into the shoulder messes the shots up, it's best to just loosely hold the "pistol grip", and kind of balance the weight there and on the front of your shoulder...it's a lot easier and more intuitive than I can make it sound.

This following picture (the last today) is 8-shots of RWS Superdomes shot off-hand.  The coin is a 1 Euro piece (the size of an American quarter dollar) and is not covering any holes...  How is THAT for a $139 space-gun plinker???  I am very, very pleased.

Love it so far, -JC

Offline PeakChick

RE: Baikal MP514-K
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 01:11:20 PM »
Interesting rifle. Thank you for a very well written, thourough, well illustrated review.
The current stable, (arsenal, quiver?): BSA Lightning XL .177, BSA Sportsman HV .22, BSA Ultra .177, CZ634 .177, Daystate Harrier X .177, TAU 200 Senior .177, HW 97 .177, HW 50s .177, HW 30 .177, RWS 92 .177, Gamo 126 MC Super, Gamo Big Cat .177, AR2078A, QB78 .177, Quest 1000 .177, Beeman SS650 .177., Beeman P17 .177.

Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it.

Offline daved

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 03:26:49 PM »
Ditto what Peak said, outstanding review of a rifle I've been interested in for quite awhile.  Long story, but I'm seriously considering getting one of these for my brother-in-law.  I'll be looking forward to a follow up in a couple of weeks or so.  

Considering that this thing is supposed to shoot both pellets AND BB's, that's pretty impressive shooting results.  I'm curious about how it shoots with BB type ammo, specifically something like the Beeman Perfect Round.  In fact, I'm curious enough to supply the ammo, I have a tin of Perfect Rounds that I'll donate to the cause, they don't work that well in my guns.  PM me your address and I'll send them off.  Thanks again.

Dave

Offline MartinDWhite

• Martin D. White
    • http://www.martinwhite.name
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 02:38:34 AM »
I have wanted one of these since I first saw them. I sounds like it is just what I was expecting and I now have on on order...from sprotsman's guide at $94 out the door (plus the 2 $10 coupons for signing up) really making the price $74 if I buy two more things from them in the next year....

Thanks for the review.

Martin D. White
      Addicted and liking it....

Offline cole5169

I didn't even think about BB's
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 04:00:23 AM »
Hm....  sounds good to me.  I've never used Beeman perfect rounds (or even owned a BB gun for twenty years, until yesterday when I got a Walther PPK from Cabelas).

I'm worried they might not stay in the magazine, since I had trouble with so many pellets, but if they don't, no biggie.  It's not like they're going to hurt anything if they fall out.

I'd love to try 'em.

My address:   Joel M Cole, 833 Owego Road, Carmel, IN  46032.

Thanks for offering!  -Joel

By the way, if you decide to buy one, I think they're only $79 at Sportsmans Guide

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=413487

Offline cole5169

I hope you like it
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 04:06:25 AM »
I wish I'd saved $60 by buying mine there, but oh well.  

When it warms up a little, I'm going to break mine in better.  Can't wait to get some velocity numbers and try some different ammo.

If you buy one, let me know what you think.  So far I've gotten a lot of comments from the forums I've posted on, but NOBODY else seems to have one!

Enjoy! -JC

Offline dank

Re: Baikal MP514-K
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 09:34:27 PM »
Congratulations!  My friend has this gun and man, it looks weird when you first see it. He handed it to me and said"Ya but shoot it". ... I couldn't figure out how!  After a short lesson I found it to be a fantastic aiming gun and fun. I wish I spent some more time with it but that day but  I had a new toy of my own to play with and sight in.  I did have to listen to him next to me, continually exclaim "I like this gun"! as he was shooting it throughout the day.  His excitement caused me to try the 53m pistol and the 61 rifle that I'm very impressed and pleased with. So much so I have the 512 and the 651k on the way. I don't think they have ultra light pellets in Russia because I've yet to find an Izzy shoot less than advertised fps.      I have no fear of anything Baikal makes. Seems what they lack in fps and beauty they more than  make up for with quality individuality and character/fun factor... I already want the new Blackbird but it'll will have to wait. $$$ I'm going to have to borrow that 514-K from him some day.
N.E.Dan
My favorite gun of all time is the last one I bought!!

Offline leftcoast1

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 01:16:53 AM »
They are a quality gun builder. I bought a SxS 12 guage from them about 5 years ago ( had to sell it with some other to pay for the little ones tuition ). It had Turkish Walnut stock and forgrip. Blue was very nice and even. The fit was first rate a little tight but nothing to worry about. I can imagine if the put this kind of work into their air guns you will have a long relationship and a quality rifle.
Jason
A couple of Springers nothin to get excited about.

Offline daved

RE: I didn't even think about BB's
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 03:38:24 AM »
Okay, Joel, I'll try to make sure they go out today.  BTW, the Perfect Rounds aren't actually BB's, they're .177 lead shot.  A regular BB is smaller.  Later.

Dave

Offline cole5169

Didn't know that,
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 02:40:17 AM »
Like I said, no BB guns for YEARS :)

I never tried the round shot in any of my guns.  Actually, ALL of my pellet rifles (over 50 THEN) were .22 cal until about three years ago when I moved into the suburbs, and started getting into .177 models for a change.

I mentioned that I just bought a PPK pistol (Crosman), and so had some BB's, but they are steel (stick to a magnet, anyway) and copper (?) coated, and I really didn't think I wanted to put them in a rifled barrel (not one I cared about, anyway.  So if these shot are all lead, I'm really interested in seeing how they perform.

What, typically, do you use round shot for in a pellet gun?  Hunting, plinking, target?  An what is the benefit?  I guess the mass is more concentrated, so I think I can see a benefit in a hunting application.  And I assume they don't bounce back quite as bad as BB's (which is why I gave up on BB's back in the 80's, too many ricochets).

How well do they grip the rifling, do you find them accurate, do they shoot consistently...  I have a lot of questions about any new ammo...

Anything you can pass on will be appreciated.  Looking forward to trying them out!
-JC

Offline cole5169

Re: Baikal 53M pistol
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 02:46:36 AM »
I've got the pistol on back-order with Compasseco, placed the order immediately after trying out the "space-gun" 514.  I was that impressed.

If you get yours in, please do a little write-up, because I've got high hopes for it!
Same, really, if you get any other Izzies, I'm really impressed with their work.

This weekend is supposed to be nice, and I just got some more ammo, so I am going to take the MP514 out in the backyard and see what I can get out of her.  Also, Dave (daved) may be sending me some round shot to try out, and that should be a nice experiment.

I still haven't taken that rear sight off, though... anyone know how?

Cheers!  -JC

Offline daved

RE: Didn't know that,
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 07:17:14 AM »
Not a lot of answers for you, but I'll take a shot at what I do know.  First, you're right, steel BB's in a rifled barrel are bad news.  I believe most BB guns have smooth bores.  As I already said, they're smaller than a .177 pellet, although I don't remember how much smaller.

As to what you use them for, that's going to depend on how well they shoot in your gun.  I do know that they penetrate more than standard pellets, maybe that's a good thing for hunting with a lower powered rifle.  They are easier to load, no worries about which end goes in first :-).  I've only tried them in one gun, my B50 PCP, and so far only at 10 yards.  Accuracy was surprisingly good, but I've heard bad things at longer ranges.  That may be at least partly velocity related, I suspect they'll shoot better at lower velocity.  They do load easy, and don't roll out the breech, so I can only guess, but I'd say they grip the rifling just fine.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, other than that they went out yesterday.  Additional info will have to come from you :-).  Later.

Dave

Offline cole5169

Update: Taking off the rear sight
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 03:53:23 AM »
In case anyone has been following, I've been less than impressed with the OE rear sight that came with the MP514-K.

It has a very small pinhole aperature, and is not easily adjustable for windage.  Also it seems a little vulnerable, poking up off of the back of the Weaver rail the way it does.

I also could not find out how to remove it.  Now I know how, so listen up. :)  To remove the sight, you have to punch out the small drift pin at the front of the sight assembly.  You then slide the upper half of the sight backward off of the rail.   Baikal used a small, polymer "key", which fits between the stops on the Weaver rail, to secure the sight to the gun.  The pin is the only connector between this "key", which is not attached to the gun, and the rest of the sight, which grips the rails.

So, now I got it off.  Next comes an alternate sighting option.  I've put a cheap red-dot on (from my horrible Crosman Nightstalker kit) and will try it out soon, but it's not a good sight, so I will reserve judgment until I get something better on it.

I also found a Weaver-mountable M4 style aperature sight and should have it in hand in a week or so.

Found it at http://www.gunaccessories.com/AR15/AR15parts.asp  (scroll down quite a bit to find it).

Offline MartinDWhite

• Martin D. White
    • http://www.martinwhite.name
RE: I hope you like it
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 07:54:04 AM »
I like it a lot. It is a very fun gun to plink stuff with. I will write more about it later.

Martin D. White

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 09:42:42 AM »
Sorry to come in so late, but I just got one of these guns and I've been having fun with it all day. I'm curious about that new rear sight you spoke of, did you ever get it? I like the looks of it.