Author Topic: Gamo Big Cat Twangy Sound  (Read 2254 times)

Gamo Big Cat Twangy Sound
« on: March 07, 2008, 10:57:06 PM »
I bought the Big Cat this week and it sure vibrates with a lot of twangy sound.  I read on this forum that this is normal but not much has been said about whether this sound will calm down as I break in the gun. Also, the light weight of the gun makes it harder for me to hold it steady as I'm zeroing in on targets.  Any advice on the above two issues would be appreciated.

RE: Gamo Big Cat Twangy Sound
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 12:09:03 AM »
The twangy sound is indicative of springers per se.  As the spring unloads when it fires, the spring twists and bounces as it comes to the end of it's stroke.  I'd imagine the bounce is where most of the vibration twangy sounds come from.  A tune by by CDT (CharliedaTuna) aka Bob, http://www.charliedatuna.com/Tuneups.htm will eliminate this and make your gun smoother and more consistent I understand.  If you're brave and mechanically minded, you should be able to find info in the "library" link at the top of the page that will assist you in lubing your gun.  Lubing alone will do a good bit for the twang but if done improperly it may also make a mess of your new toy.  Also without the proper tools disassembly of your gun could possible get your hurt.  The link to CDT's tune page tells you all about what a tune does.  Welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy your Big Cat as much as my neighbor likes his.

Offline gamo2hammerli

• http://
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 12:34:34 AM »
I like mine...it's the best shooter I have at the moment.  I like the light weight...I have no problem steadying it while shooting free hand (I forget the terminology....too early in the morning).  I think the twangy sound is amplified by it's hollow stock.....some members on this forum suggest to fill the stock with foam to lessen the vibration and noise....and to give it some weight.
Gamo: Expotec .177 + Big Cat .177 + Viper .177 + Whisper .177, Hammerli Titan .177, Diana model 24 .177, RWS-Diana P5 Magnum pistol .177, Crosman: G1 Extreme .177 + Storm XT .177 + Sierra Pro .177 + 1377 pistol .177, Air Arms S410SL .22, BSA Scorpion T10 .22, FX Cyclone .177, Remington Air Master 77 .177 + BB\'s,

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 08:48:09 AM »
Thanks for your answers.  I guess I'm wondering if some of the twangy sound will go away as the gun breaks in because I don't like the sound.  I had a Crosman Storm XT which didn't have any twangy sound.  It broke after 2 months and Walmart let me return it.  Their return policy is the only reason I buy from them over a gun shop.  Now I have my Walmart's most expensive gun.  I'm still a beginner.  Maybe my next purchase will be from a gun store (can't get air guns shipped to Connecticut) but I really hope the Big Cat works out for me for the time being.

Offline gamo2hammerli

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 12:19:18 PM »
Same here....my three lastest additions came from Walmart...Crosman Sierra Pro, Crosman Storm XT and the Gamo Big Cat.  Hope none of them break....since I'll need to bring them over the border to the U.S....which will be a hassle to bring them back into Canada.
Gamo: Expotec .177 + Big Cat .177 + Viper .177 + Whisper .177, Hammerli Titan .177, Diana model 24 .177, RWS-Diana P5 Magnum pistol .177, Crosman: G1 Extreme .177 + Storm XT .177 + Sierra Pro .177 + 1377 pistol .177, Air Arms S410SL .22, BSA Scorpion T10 .22, FX Cyclone .177, Remington Air Master 77 .177 + BB\'s,

Offline LPC

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 06:41:37 AM »
mine had the same problem. took care of it with a tune job. recoil length and harshness is reduced.

Re: Gamo Big Cat Twangy Sound
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 07:04:40 AM »
I just gave my brother my Big Cat and it has over 750 shots on it I never really paid attention to the twang sound but I do have a new Big Cat (which is also in the FOR SALE section.....shameless plug) that I test shot and I did notice it was a lot louder than my older one. so I guess it does get quieter with use but I would still recommend a tune from Charliedatuner his name is legend with springers.