Author Topic: I need a real bargan  (Read 4492 times)

Offline Walt

• http://
I need a real bargan
« on: March 31, 2008, 04:14:23 PM »
It's been since Christmas when I bought my airgun bargain of all times. The Gamo 440 from Natchez at ninety nine dollars. What a deal. LOL. Very nice, no damage when I got it, every thing I was expecting was in the box and it shot as good as any out of the box gamo can. Let's see, I know, it needs a CTD trigger, only thirty two dollars, that will make this a real gun. Triggers in, that was easy. Shoots real nice now. What's that twang noise every time it fires? Let's see according to the group on the GTA forum a good clean, de burr, new seal nine dollars and some of  those special lubes twenty two dollars should fix that. Well I got her done, sounds pretty nice. Hey let's scope this buggar. 3X12 X 40, eighty bucks and the mount another twenty. No it's still not quite right. Let's see, what else? I know, what's that guys name? Yeah, Rich from Mich, super tune kit. Now that sounds hot and it's only another seventy bucks. Probably should have done this to start with. Oh well live and learn. Wait. Might as well add those rollers and wear shoe it's only another five. Pulled her down again and got her done. Wow no charge did her myself. Lets see that's about three hundred thirty seven bucks. Now that's a deal? It's a real strong .177 now, but is it a good deal? I could have had a V 8 in the form of a Beeman R-9 on sale (a bargain) for about four hundred shipped. Let's see that would have only been about one more super tune kit. Am I not understanding this hobby?

Offline Machinist

Re: I need a real bargan
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 07:16:51 PM »

Walt:

HeHeHe...It Ain't Business - It's a Hobby - and to think, it all started when my wife asked if I could keep some of the squirrels from raiding her bird feeders. A Daisy Red Rider just didn't have the "reach" and here we are 8 air rifles later, HeHeHe. What's a few buck? It's comparatively harmless and it's FUN! Heck, I might even run across a bargain tomorrow myself.

Mike

Life Member - NRA & NMLRA

Offline Joe D

Re: I need a real bargain
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 09:59:17 PM »
No it is not a good deal. You still have a Gamo. Not to sound negative, but you will never recover the money spent if you sell the gun. OTOH some folks like to tinker. Don't have any issues with that concept. I am like you though. I would never spend $150+ over the original cost of a Gamo to try and turn it into something it will never be.
I have a Gamo Big Cat. It is fairly harsh shooting. Am I going to spend another $150 to try and fix that - nope. One of the measures I use to determine how well I can shoot a particular air rifle is whether or not I can keep 5 shots inside a 1"  Shoot-N-C dot at 25 yards off hand. It is very difficult to do with the BC. I did add a CDT trigger that helped a lot. The BC is a pretty good "woods" gun.
I recently ordered one of the Hammerli Titans. I could not resist the $114 price tag. I will review it shortly.
So far the best value I have found  in a sub $200 gun is a RWS 94. I would recommend getting one before they are all gone. I have owned a couple for about 5 years. They shoot as well or better than some of the high $$$ Beemans. The only thing I changed on mine is the trigger spring.

Offline London177

RE: I need a real bargan
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 11:45:08 PM »
I guess in financial terms you'll always lose if you sell the Gamo but I'd look at it as a hobby. All hobbies suck up money. The minimum you have have is a unique tuned Gamo that's a result of your own work and skill. To me that is worth a lot more than the cash.
Best wishes,
Alan :)
It\'s OK it\'s just a bruise!

Offline vinceb

Is it as bad as all that?
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 11:48:32 PM »
After all, I don't think the R( (for that price) comes with $100 worth of scope and mounts, does it? And some of your expenses might not have been necessary... I believe the tune kit included lubes which you had already bought, and the cocking shoe/roller kit is really a wear replacement rather than a performance upgrade... those original parts usually last for thousands of shots. And while most of these mods made the gun nicer to shoot, did they really improve the power or accuracy of the rifle?

If I'm not mistaken, one could wind up with the equivalent of your rifle (minus the scope) for a little over $200 total. Perhaps that would be fairer as a point of comparison. Of course, this assumes you are starting with a $100 440 - and not one of the newer (and pricier) models.

Offline leftcoast1

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 11:51:15 PM »
Walt,

Don't be fooled buy price tag. Yes my stock R9 cocks better than my stock G1 extream but at 4 times the cost. A 99 dollar Gamo with a turbo tune by CDT will get you further than my R9 and still have cash let for a nice scope. Next you can shoot the R9 stock but it's not all smooth the firing cycle is sharp with a touch of snap where my Crosman does not. The tune on an R9 will start at 225 and can go up to 600 depending on what you want done and by who. Go onto Paul Watts's website and read his artical on why should I tune a gun. I know it is self promoting but a lot of it makes sence. Every gun will benifit from a tune. I did not know this untill I had a lazer tune done on my Webley Vulcan by Beeman at the cost of 140.00. What a difference. JMO I would tune any springer no matter the price self or pro tune. A tuned Gamo CFX won the New York state FT title in 2005. I think he shot it in the Nationals but would have to read it again. Just a thought. :)
Jason
A couple of Springers nothin to get excited about.

Offline BigCat1

Walt you learn quick
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 12:59:15 AM »
It took me two gamo's  before I learned that lesson, My 75 buck qb 36 put'em both to shame. And when I  got an R9 I saw what real quality is like...... Now I need to figure out  how to change my screen name too (Slow Joe) or something like that........
 :p

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 02:26:05 AM »
What is the purpose of buying something cheaper?........That's right to SAVE MONEY!.......If you buy something for $99 dollars...That is exactly what it is, a $99 dollar gun.......I'm not going to invest extra money in my girlfriends HYUNDAI,to make it ride like my LINCOLN...iT JUST WON'T HAPPEN.......Don't get me wrong,I do have a CFX that I bought,already worked(CDT trigger,new seals lubed,Golden Antler scope& accushot mount)$240 shipped,All I added was a MR. GENE Muzzle Brake........GUESS WHAT....I like how it shoots......It is still a CFX & I can't compare it to my BSA SUPERSPORT,350 MAG,PATRIOT,RX-2,etc.etc......And that is not a bad thing,it does not take away from my CFX....it just isn't fair to compare either one.....You can buy a brand new R-9 with a Leapers 3-9x40 A.O.MIL-DOT ILLUM.for under $400...and it really doesn't need a tune..........As for the hobby,this is where I become guilty...I just like to buy airguns..I AM A AIRGUN JUNKIE........I look everyday, for something that catches my eye & I will buy it......Gene has convinced me to buy a TF-89...I would have never thought of buying one,if he hadn't explained the gun to me..yes I will have it tuned, but it will never be compared to anything more than what it is..$150 gun,that is tuned........(NO OFFENCE TO ANYONE THIS IS JUST MY OPINION)..you know what they say about opinions...........................

Offline BigCat1

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 03:02:49 AM »
And I wonder who will be doing that TF89 tune............

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 03:11:35 AM »
I read all the pros and cons here and for sure they all have points to make..:) The one keyword is Hobby...:) I would not spend extra money on my Dodge to make it faster either..:) But I would spend additional money on an air rifle. Gamo's, Bam, Hammerli, Beeman and many other'sproduce allot of below $200.00 air rifles. I feel that when they were produced that the factory did not finish them. Many of these air rifles have a tremendous amount of potential for improvement. Some more and some less. I have learned one thing since I have started my air gun hobby, is that some of the $100.00 air rifles can shoot and feel as good as a $400.00 air rifle if you take the time and spend lets say $200.00 for example on tuning and improvements. So now you have $300.00 air rifle that has a name like Gamo on it..:) Everyone knows that Gamo mass produces there air guns and the quality in not there in the power plant. I have an HW- 50s that I paid $300.00 plus for and is an excellent shooter out of the box. Only problem it had twang from the spring which I did not care for so I lube tuned it. If you are counting pennies then there is another $50.00 to $75.00 in additional cost. I also have a CZ 632 .177 which cost around $130.00 and it got a full tune plus trigger work. There is another $175.00 which puts the price up to almost $300.00 but it is one of the most accurate air rifles that I own now. My point is you can take any air rifle and make it work better. Some need allot of TLC and others a little bit of TLC..:) , to achieve what you are looking for in an air rifle. Now of course this is my own personal observation and actual hands on experiences. I own over 30 air rifles and many of them are Gamo's plus the others that I have mentioned above. You can make this hobby/sport as cheap or expensive as you like and that is up to the individual. Like I sais above not all but some models of air rifles seem to be more accute to a tune than others. Personally I would not hesitate in buying a $99.00 Gamo or a Hammerli Titan at $130.00 or even a $1000.00 springer if I like it..:) And that $1000.00 springer might need some TLC to make it feel and shoot the way I want it to. My air guns consist of mostly target shooter and a half dozen hunting air rifles. So there are different strokes for different folks but it is all about having fun and enjoying yourself. Sometimes the cost does not have to be an object. Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline leftcoast1

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 03:49:50 AM »
I guess it's really open for debate. If your looking for a smooth accurate shooter with a good trigger for cheap it doesn't exsist. You may luck upon one that's been tuned for a good price but may still not like it. I wanted a Webley Patriot in .22. I bought one and it had the worst spring twang and vibration and that was a 500.00 springer from a top notch manufacture. Had it gas rammed shot it still didn't like it so I sold it for a lot less than I had into it. The new owner loves it. Different strokes for different folks. I will say this I still see more tuned high end guns for sale than tuned or nontuned low in guns. Just some food for thought.
Jason
A couple of Springers nothin to get excited about.

Offline howie1a

• http://ihowie1a@yahoo.com
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »
A big part of this hobby is the working on the guns it's not about making anything on them I had a Gamo and I don't think I will buy one again I have gotten into the China rifles and with you detailing them doing all the things that you would get if the rifles cost a lot more, They can be made very nice and smooth and shoot better than me. Leftcoast1  just gave me a project gun today and when I am finished it will be a total different gun the breach didn't a line right I've all ready taken care of that and when it is tuned it will be a total different gun. But one of the things that  is part of this hobby is the reworking the guns, like restoring cars. it's all about what you can spend for your hobby ,I once spent 9 months restoring a 60 year old wood boat for a customer of the boat yard I worked for the customer ended up putting over a quarter of a  mill. in it but he is very wealthy and that was his hobby restoring old  boats but I did the work and he watched.  howie
Howie1a
CURRENT HERD ,, Baikal pistol M53 in 177 ,,crossman pistol 357 -177cal. ,,Bam 30 -22 cal,,  RWS 320 cal 177 custom walnut  stock,,QB2078 custom stock walnut cal177,,   QB2078 custom walnut stock  22 cal,,B7 custom stock cal 177 ,, B12 custom stock cal 177,,B16 from shadow 177 cal,,<< ALL THE REST OF MY  RIFLES FROM \"\"MIKE M. Flying Dragon Air Rifles \"\" Super nice.

Offline nyairman

• http://www.totallygraphic.org
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 12:08:13 PM »
I will shoot my 177. cal Turbo Tuned- Gold Triggered CFX against any other gun at a certain distance. My home shooting range is 25 yrds. BRING IT ON. Its all about FUN. If a friend outshoots me on my range, so be it. I still have fun shooting my rifle, and know that I have done my best as far as acurracy goes. For me, it is not about who wins...it is about having FUN, and knowing that me and my rifle were shooting as ONE. If you love how your gun shoots,...you love the sport no matter what! My 2 cents.

Greg
Do not ever forget 9-11-01

Offline Walt

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 12:48:13 PM »
Well I may have found that real bargain today. BSA Lightning XL, close out at Sportsman's Warehouse, $349 with my military discount. Still have daylight gota go.
W

Offline Machinist

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 01:15:45 PM »
Walt:
Nice things come to nice people! I hope those BSA Lightning XL's aren't all gone & still have one that suits you.
We in Indiana have only one Sportsman's Warehouse, located in Lafayette (home of the Purdue Boilermakers) and a 2 1/2 hour drive from me.
Life Member - NRA & NMLRA