Author Topic: New Nitro  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Walt

• http://
New Nitro
« on: June 07, 2008, 04:59:10 PM »
Thought I would get a new .177 in the mid power range. I just received a twenty dollar off coupon for Cabela's, so off I went. They had a .177 Nitro on the display rack and I thought it looked pretty good. Price was good with the coupon so I said I'll take one of those, thank you very much. Well I got that factory sealed box home and opened her up. It was all there as advertised. Nice looking rifle and the 3-9 X 40 scope with a decent one piece mount. The first thing I noticed was how light this rifle was. Very carbine like. Every thing was in great condition and looked good. First things first. Put her in the spring compressor and took her down. They had actually used some lubes and locktite. Amazing! Still needed some work. Cleaned everything with Isopropyl and got rid of the rust colored goo that was on the gun. Did a de burr and lube tune. It really seemed quite smooth in most places but I worked everything smoother any way. The seal looked real good so it went back in. Put some heavy tar on the spring. Applied moly in all the good places and put in one of Charlie's triggers and reassembled. A quick cleaning of the barrel and I was out the door for test firing. Quick twenty five rounds. Works great. Mounted the scope. Have to say with the included mount and the hole in the compression tube this scope is going nowhere. The scope is very clear. It was dead on as mounted and only needed a tweak in elevation to bring the POA and POI into agreement. Pretty nice little gun for the price. So far I like it and would say if you want a medium power shooter, this is not a bad choice.
 There is one maybe, maybe not, depending on your opinion of the power of plastic, small down side. I want to say first this gun is really a light weight even with the scope and it works great. However I have never had a more plastic rifle. Out side of the power plant and trigger group, it seems everything is plastic. Barrel cover, stock, even the barrel pivot point is plastic with a metal sleeve. I have to wonder how long it will hold up, but for now I really like it . Keep adding to your arsenal's
W

Offline Big_Bill

RE: New Nitro
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 06:32:54 PM »

Great day Walt,

Congratulations on your new baby, what a way to spend the day !

Great review of yournew Nitro !

It looks like plastic is the future of the mid-priced airguns, even RWS has plastic parts :o

Thanks for sharing with us !

Life Member of The United States of America
Life Member of the National Rifle Association
Member Air Guns Addicted Anonymous
SHOOT SAFE ! - SHOOT WELL ! - SHOOT OFTEN !
Always Use A Spring Compressor ! and Buy the GREAT GRT-III & CBR Triggers, cause they are GRRRREAT !

Offline thsixscrews

Re: New Nitro
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 05:38:42 AM »
Walt,
     Contgrats on the new rifle!!!  I think you will really like it, even with all the plastic, they are a good shooter.  I bought a used one awhile back and I really like it.  Bought it from Tim, and he done had it sighted in for me, and it was still right on when it arived.  It is a great lil gun for those pesky black birds in the back yard.  And a great lil target shooter.  I also put in the GRTIII trigger, did a world of good.  Enjoy your new baby!  The only draw back that I have had is the Tim Taylor syndrome...........MORE POWER!!!!!!LOL  Take care.]
Kent
If you cant shoot it, ride it, eat it, or love it, it aint worth havin.
NRA Life Member
Gamo CFX, Gamo Nitro 17, 2 Cumins tools spsecials...lol but they shoot