Author Topic: Ruger Air Hawk aka B-25 .........Long With Pictures...  (Read 15214 times)

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Ruger Air Hawk aka B-25 .........Long With Pictures...
« on: February 11, 2009, 05:55:36 AM »

First I would like to say that my experience up front with the quality of the Ruger Air Hawk IMO is an 8 on the scale of 1-10. I am still surprised at the quality and workmanship of this Chinese springer cloned after what looks like to me an RWS 34-36. But the stock has a nice rubber butt plate like the RWS 36 models had. The metal work is above average compared to many of the Chinese air rifles I have seen and owned. The trigger is a decent replica of the RWS later triggers. The action, piston and internal parts matched the RWS 34-36 parts and were made very well. Not allot of burrs and the action tube itself was plus or minus .0001. On this model the Chinese used a nice poly seal but was a bit on the soft side. Would not be a forgiving seal in the long run, but better sealing capabilities than the standard hard nylon seals they use.

I went to work early this morning with my regular tuning sequence for doing a Turbo Tune on an RWS type springer. Nothing different about tuning the Ruger Air Hawk, aka B-25. I cleaned and de-burred all the parts and cleaned again. Made up a new custom delrin guide for a new spring. This style of guide modification was introduced years back when CDT found at weak spot in the design and re-designed the whole guide setup. The new improved design will last forever. The old thrust washer that they used at bottom of piston where spring sits was a standard washer which already had shown signs of spring impressions on the surface. I keep a batch of custom stainless steel washer on hand that I pre make for all the different sizes. Replaced old thrust washer with new stainless washer.I used a new large Apex seal for the piston end.

Now I was ready to put everything back together. Pushed the piston into the action, slid spring into piston and laid it in my spring compressor. Within 5 minutes I had it buttoned up and ready to clean up and put the stock back on.

After the stock was on and screws were tightened I set the spring with the first cock, lit a cigarette and then put a pellet in the breech. Locked her up and pushed the safety forward with my thumb. Sure enough it sounded like a rim fire on the very first shot but then she was quiet as a mouse on the second one. The trigger needed adjusting. It had to much free play in the first stage. I made a couple of adjustments and she was breaking at 3 lbs. and it was a crisp brake. Of course the trigger is open for tuning and I am sure you could get it under 2 lbs.

Nest after about 20 shots I lit up the chrony and lights. First shot was 901 fps, 890, 894, 891, 888, 889 893, 896, 895, 897, 894. The first ten shot across the chrony looked to be promising. I am pretty sure she will set in at around 900 fps after break in. I was using Gamo 7.9 gn pellets so if I had used a JSB or something heavier the fps would come down a bit.

I used a standard RWS 34 spring. But I did calculate a couple different springs that could be used to lighten up the fps some as well as heavier pellets.When I shoot her I get a solid quick thud with very little action noise with the spring I used.

I think that this new Chinese made air rifle may very well be a major improvement over many of the previous Chinese springers in the past. Looks like the Chinese has crossed the threshold and will be giving some of the Euro boys a run for there money..:) They already produce the B-26 which is the clone of the Beeman R-9 and that is another great air rifle they have designed to complete with the big guys..:)

I have taken several pictures so you all can see up close what this Ruger Air Hawk aka B-25 is made of..:)

THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline Nova

• http://
Re: Ruger Air Hawk aka B-25 .........Long With Pictures...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 06:41:30 AM »
Gene, Thanks for that review. I got my Air Hawk back in late October, and i see a few differences in later models like you have there.
First i noticed a scope stop. Mine don't have that, not even a stop hole. and mine has a steel tube that slides into the piston, then the spring goes into the tube.
My spring broke at about 2500 shots and i replaced it with the Maccari spring for the RWS 34, large red apex like you did. Also my spring guide was a black plastic material.
It shoots better now than ever. I stoned and polished the sear and replaced the sear spring with a lighter spring i found in my gun stuff box, trigger now beaks crisp at 1-3/4 lbs. by my RCBS pull guage.. i like the Air Hawk, but it's my first Air gun, so i have nothing to compare it to. But i'll have a Panther Pro in a day or two for comparison.
Glad your review was mostly positive, and look foward to hearing more about it from ya!  Thanks.
Wayne

Offline kirby999

RE: Ruger Air Hawk aka B-25 .........Long With Pictures...
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 06:57:50 AM »
Sounds great Gene, I can't wait for my to come rolling in here any minute. LOL With the information you've given, it looks like with a little work "we" can make this the springer I was looking for. I like the looks of her . Not a bad looking rifle at all . kirby
\" Shooting PCP\'s; I sometimes miss that  unmistakable smell of a springer . \"

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 07:16:40 AM »
Thanks Wayne, but this one did have the spring sleeve. Just forgot to add it in with the pictures...:) That is really a plus because with an open piston slot, there is always a chance of the cocking foot to rub on the spring. I wll be tweeking the trigger some as well.

Did you need a drooper mount?
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline Nova

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 07:54:06 AM »
Hi Gene, Yes, unfortunately mine had lots of droop, so much that the scope ran out of adjustment,first i shimmed the back ring, and shot it about 1000 rounds worked great until the scope that came with the gun gave up..that little tube inside the scope slid back behind the click adjusters, and i ruined the scope trying to fix it (broke the cross hairs). anyways, i got the leapers droop mount for the RWS 34, and i had to cut off 1/4" , each end to make it fit, re-aluma-blacked it, and it works perfect with new rings and a wally world 4-16x40 scope. (your right about this scope being a brick)..i'm sure there was a better way to do it, but i'm an old man, and new to Air Guns..LOL Thanks for the reply om the Piston liner..
Wayne

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 09:29:23 AM »
Look's like we have a WINNER! :D buddy and it sure reminds me of a 34 when looking at the internals there. The numbers look great also, perfect hunting shooter and the stock does hold it's own in appearance. I foresee some of these babies coming your way for a tune and hopefully the price won't go sky high on em when they realize what a good shooter they can be with some TLC. :) Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 11:45:18 AM »

Well I mounted a BSA scope and accushot mount on her lated today and yep, the barrel has droop just like an RWS 34..:( Sorry guys that I did not catch that until after the initial reveiw.

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 11:56:13 AM »
Get your drooper mounts or film shims out guys. :) For the price and quality it would be a good route to go instead of the RWS , not knocking em because I own several but get one of these babies and send her to Gene for a tune and you got yourself a prime shooter. 8) E
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 04:52:03 AM »
Ya I know CAP, and now I have to dink with adjusting mount or buying another drooper mount..:( Those are not cheap either. That really spoils the pourage..:( The rifle is an excellent copy of the Diana but they did not have to put in the droop. That just makes it harder for one to justify a $50.00 mount.

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline Joe D

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 10:08:29 AM »
Gene, why not just bend the barrel? What FPS did you get with the stock set up?

Offline mikeiniowa

• http://airgunartisans.com/flyingdragon
Barrel Droop?????
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 10:50:53 AM »
The B25 I have has no droop....measured it to see and can't find any, with the stock spring, guide, it's shooting around 930 give or take 10 fps with out of the tin Gamo Hunters, with H & N Barracuda 10 gr around 825,,,thats one nasty looking stock spring, had one that looked like that in an R-7...

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 01:17:44 PM »
Ya Joe, I could do that. I have a tool I made to bend bad barrels with. If it is a defect then I willstraighten it.,

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 01:19:16 PM »
Ya CAP, the spring was missing the last two coils..:( I would have changed it anyway. Can't beat those JM springs for longevity and quality of wire.

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline imadogman

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 10:09:29 AM »
I received my Ruger Air Hawk 1000 today. First impression are: 1 Bluing is very black and even. Not a high polish, but a nice even sheen. Wood: Plain as it could possibly be. Sanding marks on one side, and a couple of pressure marks that were made before the finish was applied. Finish: Only Adequate (I think that the finish on my B26 is better) Rubber buttpad: Decent fit, and I like these because they protect the gunstock, especially when outdoors during walkabouts. Trigger: Feels great once you get past the long first stage (this can be adjusted). Sights: Adequate, although mine is missing a Fiber optic filament on the rear sight. I just spoke with Umarex, and they are sending me some replacement filament. Very nice person named Anna helped me out with this issue. 4x32 scope looks fairly clear and has a duplex reticle. I may try it just to test it, but I would rather have a 2x7 or a 3x9. First shots: First shot sounded like a .22 rimfire. Subsequent shots were quieter. I was able to put 5 pellets in a 1 inch circle with open sights at about 30 feet. It is certainly obvious that this weapon shoots faster than my .22 B26, and it is also louder, but I don't hear much twang (if any). Very solid sounding report from the action when fired. Cocking: This gun is much harder to cock than my MM B26 with the Merlin spring, but it feels very smooth, and has a solid lockup. I really like the feel of this gun (sans scope), and I think I will keep the scope size/weight down on this one. It should be a fun one to carry about while hiking. (You know....Hunting is sometimes just called "Hiking with guns" but we do it anyway ;-) I should get a chance this weekend to mount the 4x32 scope that came with it, and I will report back on the short term review of it later. The Droop issue: In measuring and using a straight edge, I can't see or find any noticeable droop on my gun. I will let you know if I find otherwise. In the meantime, I am going to order one of these for a good friend of mine. He is going to be building me some new gates for my property, and I think he will enjoy one of these. I think that this gun is a good value. Later, Imadogman
\"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice\"

\"Sailing through life at the speed of Dark\"

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 10:52:27 AM »
Good objective review Dave. I guess I was lucky that my stock was premo. The trigger can be adjusted for less free play before break. I am very happy with this trigger and it is tunable. I have droop in my barrel and will deal with that isssue as soon as work slows down here. And you are right if the Ruger Air Hawk stays at the price it is selling at now then yes it is a good value for the money spent.

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin